51/0
    Mentioned
    33 times
    Time Online
    11d 7h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m

Gearing up for College...

So, in two months I'll be graduating High School and most likely going to College straight afterwards. I know there's advice online but I'd also like to hear from fellow cKers! The most I hear from people is to "get involved" but other than that, nothing else. Anything I should watch for or do/not do, or how different it is from High School?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    29/0
    Mentioned
    101 times
    Time Online
    28d 2h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    13m
    I'd actually suggest not immediately getting involved. Take a few weeks and get a feel for how your grades are doing and what you need to improve on before joining clubs and sports.
    Id also suggest studying more than you think you'll need to for the first few weeks. You'll want to know that fundamental information for later classes, and it's easier to learn it now rather than later.
    Its very different from high school, in both good and bad ways. I'm sure you'll enjoy it, but if you're going to an expensive university, expect classes to be hard
    PM me to see what I have up for sale! Always selling UCs/NP/Accounts!
    Offering free PIN cracks to Clraik rank (and higher!), just shoot me a PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Urbex For This Useful Post:

Android (04-03-2017)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    64/0
    Mentioned
    942 times
    Time Online
    291d 16h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 55m
    I'm also graduating and heading to university next year. good luck to us!! what are you taking?
    i love luna

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Aura For This Useful Post:

Android (04-03-2017)

Pronouns
    He/They
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    51/0
    Mentioned
    33 times
    Time Online
    11d 7h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    I haven't been able to decide my courses yet because the Student Orientation and scheduling isn't in two months, but I want to major in Biology or Geology. I know I can't decide my major until next year but I assume I'll be taking quite a bit of Science-oriented classes.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    29/0
    Mentioned
    101 times
    Time Online
    28d 2h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    13m
    Quote Originally Posted by Android View Post
    I haven't been able to decide my courses yet because the Student Orientation and scheduling isn't in two months, but I want to major in Biology or Geology. I know I can't decide my major until next year but I assume I'll be taking quite a bit of Science-oriented classes.
    Based strictly off those two majors and off of what my university requires, I'll give what I think you'll be taking, most likely.

Biology +BioLab (4 credits total)
    General Chemistry +GenChemLab (4 credits total)
    Calculus (3 credits)
    + 1 or 2 humanities courses (100 level of English/History/etc; 6 credits)
    PM me to see what I have up for sale! Always selling UCs/NP/Accounts!
    Offering free PIN cracks to Clraik rank (and higher!), just shoot me a PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Urbex For This Useful Post:

Android (04-04-2017)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    119/0
    Mentioned
    35 times
    Time Online
    18d 13h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    It totally depends on your personality. Are you an introvert? I definitely am and find that school is exhausting as it is. I didn't get involved. I attend my classes (most of the time haha) and I made 2 good friends. That's it! I'm 81 days away from graduation and I cannot freaking wait!

My BIGGEST piece of advice is to make sure you know you want to do with your life. Do not waste your time or money. Check out the job market and make sure that there is work available for when you graduate. Do your research to make sure that the job market in that area is growing, not decreasing.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to xCarRadio For This Useful Post:

Android (04-04-2017)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    61 times
    Time Online
    12d 21h 7m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    get a mini fridge for your room
    mattress pads are wonderful

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boob For This Useful Post:

Android (04-04-2017),Cath (04-03-2017)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    Biggest piece of advice from someone with a BSc Degree in the bio sciences...labs are a hell of a lot more work than lectures. They are long, about 3 hours each, and have work to do the whole time plus many more assignments outside of class time. Be prepared to write many papers, learn how to navigate sites like NCBI and PubMed, and get ready for long nights.

As for normal lecture classes you must always be conscious of your exams. This is no longer high school with 25 assignments and 5 simple chapter exams. Not all courses have labs to supplement marks. Some classes have 2 or 3 marks in total. That's it. 1 or 2 midterms and a final. Nothing else. Worst one I had was a Pharmacology course with a 30% midterm and 70% weighted final. So if you do not study and get 55 on one exam well you might have another midterm exam to bring up your grade again or you have the final exam. That's it.

No more hand holding either. You miss an exam too fucking bad more or less. Many profs dngaf about your life 'problems' aka sleeping in, hung over, not prepared...the usual reasons people try to get exams deferred. And if you miss a final exam you better have a real real good reason for them to defer it to another date. Like death in the family legitimate excuse. One girl in a class I had asked for a finals deferral because her vacation departure was booked on the same day. They did not grant the deferral and she failed that final. So yeah, prepare yourself and study.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sci_Girl For This Useful Post:

Android (05-05-2017)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    19/0
    Mentioned
    733 times
    Time Online
    158d 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    57m
    Manage your time correctly, that's the key in my opinion.

Don't let things for the last day, you'll slowly start to get less sleep and becoming lazy is so easy in college tbh, since there's no one there to check on you and it's all the responsibility on your back. I've seen soooo much people failing for this, they start to miss clases and eventually they are left behind and trying to catch up is not easy, specially when you start to get used to missing classes or not doing things in time.

I would first get used to that, before getting involved in social activities and more stuff.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Pusheen For This Useful Post:

Android (05-05-2017)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    17/0
    Mentioned
    19 times
    Time Online
    23d 2h 3m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    Do not skip too many classes your first year. It's an awful habit to break once you start. I know it sounds appealing to just sleep in or skip because class is all the way across campus and its raining (yes I did this often) but just suck it up and go to class. Also do not be afraid to go to the professor for help to get better clarification if you don't understand something.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to TheButt For This Useful Post:

Android (05-05-2017)