37/0
    Mentioned
    376 times
    Time Online
    57d 23h N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    22m

Constitutional Carry

I'd prefer if only Americans chimed in on the pros and cons of not requiring a permit for legal gun owners to carry a pistol, but I'm not going to judge anyone for stating their opinion obviously lol. Anyway, there's been quite a bit of law changes lately as far as gun laws go; and personally find it to be a questionable idea. I am pro guns, as most people know, but there is definitely a lot of training I do regularly to ensure the safety of those around me in the face of an imminent threat. I think permitless carry is awesome, but I also think there should be a requirement for a series of classes on the law, when it is legal to draw from your holster, and the very little times it is okay to pull the trigger. Obviously, nobody should ever be put in a situation where they need to take a life to defend their own, but America is getting crazier by the second.

Just my thoughts. What do you think?

*This is not a debate about if guns are good or bad, just strictly about a constitutional "right". Please refrain from insults.

**Mods, if this is not allowed or in the wrong section, please advise.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    29/0
    Mentioned
    101 times
    Time Online
    28d 2h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    13m
    I guess I'll be the first to chime in here.

I'm pro-gun, but I'm also anti-gun in some respects. Go ahead, grab a pistol, sure. But no, you don't need a semi-automatic high-capacity assault rifle.
    Permits? Yes, they should be required. I think there should be even stricter regulations about who can carry, but at the same time, I wish more responsible people would carry. If you want to carry a weapon, I don't see any valid reasons as to why you can't get a permit or attend some classes. Just my two cents though.
    PM me to see what I have up for sale! Always selling UCs/NP/Accounts!
    Offering free PIN cracks to Clraik rank (and higher!), just shoot me a PM.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    15 times
    Time Online
    4d 10h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by Urbex View Post
    I guess I'll be the first to chime in here.

I'm pro-gun, but I'm also anti-gun in some respects. Go ahead, grab a pistol, sure. But no, you don't need a semi-automatic high-capacity assault rifle.
    Permits? Yes, they should be required. I think there should be even stricter regulations about who can carry, but at the same time, I wish more responsible people would carry. If you want to carry a weapon, I don't see any valid reasons as to why you can't get a permit or attend some classes. Just my two cents though.
    Can't say I agree with your sentiment on rifles. Plenty of home burglaries, for example, occur with more than one acting offender. A homeowner with a handgun isn't going to win out against three thieves with handguns, which is where the AR-15 becomes the big equalizer. This isn't taking into account stuff like hunting either.

I think my fifth post on these forums being politically-charged is probably a bad omen, but I'll say outright I believe pretty firmly in the second amendment. I especially don't agree with most regulatory laws since so many are based on "this gun looks scary."

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    19/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    1d 4h 23m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Not knocking down anyways opinions but I'm totally against guns. The only reason you'd need a gun is to protect yourself from other guns. Definitely against being able to carry a gun in public at all. I guess if your intent is to protect and you're completely sane, problem is there's a lot of crazy people out there lol

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    37/0
    Mentioned
    376 times
    Time Online
    57d 23h N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    22m
    Quote Originally Posted by RGBKittens View Post
    Not knocking down anyways opinions but I'm totally against guns. The only reason you'd need a gun is to protect yourself from other guns. Definitely against being able to carry a gun in public at all. I guess if your intent is to protect and you're completely sane, problem is there's a lot of crazy people out there lol
    This is the sole reason I carry a pistol every day. If I have to take the life of a criminal with a gun who may cause harm to an innocent citizen, I will. I'm also aware I could get killed every time I carry, but, I'd rather have the chance of being able to save someone than not

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    182/0
    Mentioned
    145 times
    Time Online
    47d 8h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    23m
    Quote Originally Posted by champloo View Post
    Can't say I agree with your sentiment on rifles. Plenty of home burglaries, for example, occur with more than one acting offender. A homeowner with a handgun isn't going to win out against three thieves with handguns, which is where the AR-15 becomes the big equalizer. This isn't taking into account stuff like hunting either.

I think my fifth post on these forums being politically-charged is probably a bad omen, but I'll say outright I believe pretty firmly in the second amendment. I especially don't agree with most regulatory laws since so many are based on "this gun looks scary."
    I don't see a problem with having a high powered rifle in your home, or secured in your car on the way to the shooting range. I don't think its necessary to be publicly carrying a rifle around.

Honestly I think the open-carry law should be changed to allow people to conceal carry. It is legal to carry a gun as long as it is open carry here in OR but you need a permit for concealed. People freak out when they see a gun though. They get put on high alert and on edge. We recently had a guy open carry at a restaurant I was eating dinner at with my dad. Even though he played it cool, I could tell the fact that the guy was carrying a gun was messing with his PTSD (he is a Vietnam veteran).

Honestly I think roles should be reversed. People without permits should conceal carry, and people with permits open carry. This way if you do see someone openly carrying a gun then you know for sure that they did get a permit, have taken a class, know how to use it, etc. Plus I'd rather have someone trained be able to do a quick draw than an untrained person. Maybe I am naive though.

Then again if everyone had a permit that would be better.

Honestly I think if we actually had a good universal free health care then it would help to alleviate the problem with mass shootings at least. With universal health care then everyone could afford mental health care treatment. We could nip some of these problems in the bud before they become an issue.

If a family has a child with chronic depression, autism, BPD, or some other anxiety or social disorder whose symptoms include impulse control or tendency towards violence, then those families can immediately afford the support they need. They can be educated on how to care for their children, find out the signs of anxiety, and possibly head off anything before it turns into a tragedy. Same thing with adults. Most of the mass shootings occur because the shooters have untreated mental illnesses.

All of these laws and limitations are made in reaction to tragic events that happen. Instead of reacting to things after the fact, people need to be proactive and try to eliminate the causes. Getting rid of guns is still just reacting. If guns are gone, people with these issues will find other ways to commit these crimes. It's pretty easy to go online and find out how to build a bomb. Guns are just cooler and let you be in the middle of the action.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    All of these laws and limitations are made in reaction to tragic events that happen. Instead of reacting to things after the fact, people need to be proactive and try to eliminate the causes. Getting rid of guns is still just reacting. If guns are gone, people with these issues will find other ways to commit these crimes. It's pretty easy to go online and find out how to build a bomb. Guns are just cooler and let you be in the middle of the action
    If you want a solution to rid of the problem causing individuals it would be to begin teaching young ones now that violence is unacceptable. That crime is unacceptable. Drug use, alcoholism, greed, anger, and revenge are unacceptable. You want to stop it before it begins? It starts with teaching youth now so we can actually have less crime. Until that happens those in America will still be scared to grocery shop without a piece on them incase they need to play superhero.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    37/0
    Mentioned
    376 times
    Time Online
    57d 23h N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    22m
    Quote Originally Posted by Sci_Girl View Post
    If you want a solution to rid of the problem causing individuals it would be to begin teaching young ones now that violence is unacceptable. That crime is unacceptable. Drug use, alcoholism, greed, anger, and revenge are unacceptable. You want to stop it before it begins? It starts with teaching youth now so we can actually have less crime. Until that happens those in America will still be scared to grocery shop without a piece on them incase they need to play superhero.
    I completely agree, other than the "play superhero" stab. I'm not out to be a hero, I don't EVER want to be put in a situation where I'm forced to draw my firearm (which I conceal carry although Minnesota is also an open carry state), but I will if it means stopping someone from killing an innocent person. Personally, I believe that having firearms safety in a school curriculum is a great idea. It ight me to respect firearms and never touch them unless I was hunting or needed to protect our home, when I was young. There will ALWAYS be criminals who wish to cause harm to innocent people, and as sad as it sounds, some parents don't give a shit about teaching their children right from wrong. Our whole country is in the crapper, but there isn't "more" shootings now than there were 20 years ago; just more coverage by the media.

So, if there are as many people out there as possible with my mind set when it comes to being a gun owner, it would help alleviate the problems. "Gun Free" zones create a target because of the criminal knowing it is illegal for a law abiding citizen to have their gun in that business/school/etc.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    47/0
    Mentioned
    10 times
    Time Online
    4d 8h 22m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    I am Pro-gun, but for numerous reasons. I conceal carry every day for not only my protection but my family and fiends as well. The argument that you only need guns against other guns urks me too because knives are very dangerous weapons and if someone is within 10ft of you they can get you in about 2 secs depending on how fast the person is. I believe that if your life is in danger you should be able to use a gun.I also support having semi-automatic rifles as well. I know many people who hunt with them and like mentioned before they are great for when there are multiple threats. I also do not believe in giving full control to the government which banning guns would essentially do. That is like saying our government is perfect and there is no possible way it can corrupt.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    37/0
    Mentioned
    376 times
    Time Online
    57d 23h N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    22m
    Quote Originally Posted by Ape View Post
    I am Pro-gun, but for numerous reasons. I conceal carry every day for not only my protection but my family and fiends as well. The argument that you only need guns against other guns urks me too because knives are very dangerous weapons and if someone is within 10ft of you they can get you in about 2 secs depending on how fast the person is. I believe that if your life is in danger you should be able to use a gun.I also support having semi-automatic rifles as well. I know many people who hunt with them and like mentioned before they are great for when there are multiple threats. I also do not believe in giving full control to the government which banning guns would essentially do. That is like saying our government is perfect and there is no possible way it can corrupt.
    100% agreed