Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any pro-battlers on here? Looking to get some help balancing all the battle items in my game.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    4d 6h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m

Any pro-battlers on here? Looking to get some help balancing all the battle items in my game.

As some people know, I'm creating my own "pet game". I'm looking for help to balance all the battle items in the game.

Most of the balancing depends on shields and blockers and how many icons they defend against or % blocked. I'm not sure if I should just mix everything up randomly (this would make for pretty random battling and people would need a very diversified set to cover all angles) OR I could create each item/icons 1 at a time and make an item to counter the previous item.

The thing about the shields and blocking is I read somewhere from a top BDer that "shields" are pretty useless in Neopets battling. I want to make shielding in my game relevant so more strategy is involved.

Any pros have some advice?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    29/0
    Mentioned
    101 times
    Time Online
    28d 2h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    13m
    Sort of unrelated, but do you have any screenshots of the current state of your game? I'm interested to seeing how it's coming along
    PM me to see what I have up for sale! Always selling UCs/NP/Accounts!
    Offering free PIN cracks to Clraik rank (and higher!), just shoot me a PM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    70/0
    Mentioned
    86 times
    Time Online
    22d 2h 24m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    Shield are less useful because nowadays if you block 70% of the time you're coming out of the turn behind.
    [center]

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    4d 6h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    Shield are less useful because nowadays if you block 70% of the time you're coming out of the turn behind.
    So how can I fix that? More Dual-blocking shields? Blocks 2 elements + fractions of others?

How can shields be more "relevant" in battles without making them dominant. Why are they coming out behind even if you fully block one icon?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    70/0
    Mentioned
    86 times
    Time Online
    22d 2h 24m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsPeteBrah View Post
    So how can I fix that? More Dual-blocking shields? Blocks 2 elements + fractions of others?

How can shields be more "relevant" in battles without making them dominant. Why are they coming out behind even if you fully block one icon?
    Shields become less relevant after the release of anagrams. HNMS is the only decent shield that you can really consider to use and come out on top often. Otherwise, you're left guessing to get a 1/6 prediction that they used that one icon type versus before when HT constants usually revolved around PCC and SoS.

Either limit the amount of weapons that can deal mass amount of single icons, or create viable dual use shields that also attack, or defend more icons if a certain icon is used, etc.
    [center]

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    4d 6h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Gotcha man, great input! I've spent hours trying to balance my items only to keep deleting the data because I don't think it "works" (either too many icon types and impossible to defend unless guessed correctly or some items being over-powered). I'll keep trying though.

Pronouns
    He/Him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    70/0
    Mentioned
    148 times
    Time Online
    112d 3h 46m
    Avg. Time Online
    42m
    Earlier posters are correct. What made shields "better" (they were never top tier considered excluding HNMS) was when the damage was truly limited to certain icons and players had a much better chance guessing what icons were going to come flying at them. Now, however, since the anagrams have come out, it's basically a shot in the dark for what you "could" block, and even then it isnt even necessarily a full block. Not to say that it isn't a complete lost cause trying to include shields in your balanced game, it would just take a lot of cornering of the weapons being able to be used. I'm sure I could offer a bit more insight if I could possibly see how your idea is progressing. It sounds super interesting and I would love to see some excitement come out of the battledome and would love to try and help in any way I could
    Sometimes the worst mistakes make the funniest memories
    (you need an account to see links)
    (you need an account to see links)
    Guac forever <3
    But Dix foreverest

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    5d 4h 27m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Suggestion: Limit to shields and weapons to 4 icons, 3 elemental + physical. Turn battledome to a rock paper scissors game.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    4d 6h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Very interesting idea with the 3 icon types only. If anyone has every played Game of War for iPhone or other games similar to that, they also limit to 3 "troop" types. Normally you send in balanced units to attack, but in certain scenarios if someone has a lot of one troop type it works well to send the one that is strong against it.

Anyone have thoughts on limiting to 3 icon types? I feel there would be a lot less "fun" factor but it's definitely an interesting idea to discuss.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    70/0
    Mentioned
    86 times
    Time Online
    22d 2h 24m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    I like the idea of having a wider variety type of icons, I just dislike that everyone and their grandma nowadays can afford a random 17 icon constant making defence useless. Limiting certain icons to more elite weapons ( eg GOW , attack pea) where you are less likely to come upon these icons unless you're challenging an elite user.
    [center]