182/0
    Mentioned
    145 times
    Time Online
    47d 8h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    23m

Question about old bots and useragents

Sorry I posted this on the wrong forum, please reject the one in neopets programs *blush*

Is it a simple matter of changing an old bots code to

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/55.0.2883.87 Safari/537.36

to update a bot so neo thinks the bot is using a newer browser version instead of one from 2 or 3 years ago?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    178/0
    Mentioned
    744 times
    Time Online
    335d 1h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 3m
    If everyone used Chrome 55 on Windows 10 x64? Yes. Not everyone does though.
    In this case the programmer would need to add a:
    Text Label, Text Area (If the program has an UI) and a variable that would hold the UA String (parsed from the text area) to use in the http headers.
    PS: 4:40 AM, don't expect a super clear explanation e_e

(you need an account to see links)

"Date et dabitur vobis"
    「Let's fight 恐れはない」

"A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of f��ks I do not give"

「君が望むモノは何?」

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    182/0
    Mentioned
    145 times
    Time Online
    47d 8h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    23m
    Quote Originally Posted by Accelerator View Post
    If everyone used Chrome 55 on Windows 10 x64? Yes. Not everyone does though.
    In this case the programmer would need to add a:
    Text Label, Text Area (If the program has an UI) and a variable that would hold the UA String (parsed from the text area) to use in the http headers.
    PS: 4:40 AM, don't expect a super clear explanation e_e

Well I basically went to this website to get my useragent data and copied it from there (you need an account to see links) Would you say that is correct?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    178/0
    Mentioned
    744 times
    Time Online
    335d 1h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 3m
    Quote Originally Posted by Stocking Anarchy View Post
    Well I basically went to this website to get my useragent data and copied it from there (you need an account to see links) Would you say that is correct?
    That is indeed correct, but not what I meant.
    What I meant was that: Chrome isn't the only browser around, 55 isn't the only version that's been released, Windows isn't the only OS that exists, and x64 isn't the only architecture available.

Quote Originally Posted by importado23 View Post
    Im using Chrome 55 on Windows 10 x64
    Thanks captain obvious...
    Now I am being "mean", see the difference?
    Talking about difference... Even though you're both using the same browser and OS check this:

"Date et dabitur vobis"
    「Let's fight 恐れはない」

"A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of f��ks I do not give"

「君が望むモノは何?」

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    182/0
    Mentioned
    145 times
    Time Online
    47d 8h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    23m
    That is indeed correct, but not what I meant.
    What I meant was that: Chrome isn't the only browser around, 55 isn't the only version that's been released, Windows isn't the only OS that exists, and x64 isn't the only architecture available.

Thanks captain obvious...
    Now I am being "mean", see the difference?
    Talking about difference... Even though you're both using the same browser and OS check this:
    I figured what you were saying.

I should have clarified that if I got my useragent info from that website, I could just copy and paste it into old programs where the code in the program has the Useragent coding and replace it without breaking the program.

Oh and yea this is for my personal use on my pc, not what a programmer would do for a program s/he expects multiple people to download and use. I understand that.
    I know that not everyone uses the same browser but I understand you having to explain it this way so that those without common sense won't just go and copy and paste this onto their own programs saved to their pc/macs.
    Last edited by Stocking Anarchy; 01-09-2017 at 06:38 AM. Reason: more clarification

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    178/0
    Mentioned
    744 times
    Time Online
    335d 1h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 3m
    Quote Originally Posted by Stocking Anarchy View Post
    I figured what you were saying.

I should have clarified that if I got my useragent info from that website, I could just copy and paste it into old programs where the code in the program has the Useragent coding and replace it without breaking the program.

Oh and yea this is for my personal use on my pc, not what a programmer would do for a program s/he expects multiple people to download and use. I understand that.
    I know that not everyone uses the same browser but I understand you having to explain it this way so that those without common sense won't just go and copy and paste this onto their own programs saved to their pc/macs.
    If you have the source code available then yeah, just replace all instances of the previous user-agent with the one you'd like to use.
    If you want to verify the user agent being sent in the headers you could use a program like Wireshark or similar.

"Date et dabitur vobis"
    「Let's fight 恐れはない」

「君が望むモノは何?」

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    182/0
    Mentioned
    145 times
    Time Online
    47d 8h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    23m
    If you have the source code available then yeah, just replace all instances of the previous user-agent with the one you'd like to use.
    If you want to verify the user agent being sent in the headers you could use a program like Wireshark or similar.
    Thank you for the info. There are just a few python programs I have that give me the option to "Edit with IDLE" if I right click on them. Appreciate it.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    178/0
    Mentioned
    744 times
    Time Online
    335d 1h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 3m
    No problem. You can use any text editor to edit python scripts, even with notepad... Notepad won't highlight the syntax or give you shortcuts to comment/uncomment lines though.

Sent from my quantum supercomputer

"Date et dabitur vobis"
    「Let's fight 恐れはない」

「君が望むモノは何?」

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    182/0
    Mentioned
    145 times
    Time Online
    47d 8h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    23m
    Notepad won't highlight the syntax or give you shortcuts to comment/uncomment lines though.

Sent from my quantum supercomputer
    That would probably just confuse me anyway haha. I don't really have any kind of formal/any education on any of this stuff. Just google and tinkering.

---------- Post added at 05:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:01 AM ----------

Actually most of it is just browsing through old threads of y'alls and looking at userscripts/programs and making wild and not so wild guesses lol.