Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this weird for "today standards"? (social media)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    15 times
    Time Online
    35d 8h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    19m

Is this weird for "today standards"? (social media)

Basically I've always been more shy and quiet and not a huge fan of social media as a whole. I hardly use any of mine unless it's for college related things (selling books, school events etc) or maintaining my gymnastics tumblr which no one I know personally knows of or follows me. I literally only have facebook for college and really don't even want it up any more since I don't use it and I recently deleted my instagram and twitter due to inactivity and just not wanting it up anymore. Other platforms like Snapchat have also never interested me because data and no friends

Just wondering your opinion on if this is really odd for today standards (not having social media or having any interest in it). I really hope I don't sound weird or turn anyone off for not liking it since everyone I know is obsessed with it.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    54/0
    Mentioned
    78 times
    Time Online
    40d 23h 36m
    Avg. Time Online
    20m
    Facebook is nice for my distant friends and family. Don't use anything else you mentioned. This forum is more my go to as the community pretty much has all my interests (drawing, writing, pokemon, neopets and anime) covered

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    64/0
    Mentioned
    942 times
    Time Online
    291d 16h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 55m
    I don't think it's weird. I know quite a few people who aren't interested in social media. It's more uncommon within our generation, but I wouldn't say that it's weird. Different people have different interests. Not everyone's going to be interested in social media.
    i love luna

Thanks
    DL/UL
    19/0
    Mentioned
    733 times
    Time Online
    158d 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    57m
    I don't think it's weird at all, well, social media has a lot to do with today's interactions but I have noticed that depending on your age and tastes you start to move from one to another and adapt to which ever fills your necessities the most.

For example, when I was younger I was very active in Facebook and I had the need to share everything with friends and classmates and so on. Eventually I stopped using Facebook and I moved to Twitter since sharing ideas and reading others thoughts and fast news became what I liked the most. If no social media fills any of your requirements in the moment you're in life right now then it's totally normal to not want to use them. There's nothing worse to force yourself to go daily in fb for example to see people with their newborn babies or something when you are not in that moment in life lol

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    I am not into pop culture, hipster 'trends', or following instagram pictures of teenagers making duck lips. I use Facebook only to see the pictures of extended family or updates of events happening with them. And Twitter for the sole purpose of reading the news and hockey info. I do not post a thing. I do not like or retweet anything either. I just read the info.

So no, it is not weird. You just learn to avoid it all because all of it is basically dumb.
    Last edited by Sci_Girl; 12-30-2016 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Spelling

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    50/0
    Mentioned
    46 times
    Time Online
    8d 20h 39m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    That's definitely normal, but if you are looking for some friends on Social Media, be my guest!

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    172/0
    Mentioned
    657 times
    Time Online
    182d 5h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 16m
    My husband (29) isn't on any social media platforms. I (28) have FB, originally to track down people I went to primary school with interstate. I keep a clean list of fewer than 70 people, and these days it's mostly so my friends and family can see my daughter, since we live 10 hours away from them.

I guess by the stereotype of millennials it is abnormal, but fuck it. Be who you want to be.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    15 times
    Time Online
    35d 8h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    19m
    Thank you for all of your responses! I just mainly have a slight paranoia with everyone seeing information of mine online that i'm not necessarily comfortable with but my profiles are mostly private or as private as possible

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    I don'the blame you with the privacy stuff. Twitter is pretty good for keeping it as private as possible. There are quite a few settings to prevent people from even looking you up or contacting. That is why I prefer it over say Facebook. Fb has so many privacy options hidden deep in menus that it is hard to truly be private. Twitter though I can follow a pile of news or personal interest pages and no one can contact me at all lol.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    10 times
    Time Online
    7d 3h 44m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    I don't think it's weird, but even if it was... who cares? I'm okay with weird. You should be happy using your time the way that you want to. I personally don't post on any social media... occasionally I'll read some, but not often, it has really never had much of an appeal to me.

(you need an account to see links)

I think it's interesting to see that a lot of the percentages are lower than I thought for some types of social media. That link is specific to the US though.