22/0
    Mentioned
    34 times
    Time Online
    3d 7h 36m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m

Bootcamp or Virtual Machine?

I may be wrong on the terminology in the title..
    But I've just purchased a new Macbook Pro, and I can't decide if I want Bootcamp or Parallels!

(don't even bother with any Mac jokes.. heard them all. )

So if anyone has any expertise with the software, the help in determining which to go forward with would be very much appreciated!
    OH! And if I were to choose Parallels, which Windows version?
    Bummerland, give a cheer -- 'Cause we're only going up from here!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    178/0
    Mentioned
    744 times
    Time Online
    335d 1h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 3m
    They're similar but different, Parallels will let you run a Windows OS inside OS X/macOS while Bootcamp will install Windows on a different partition (you'll have to reboot every time you want to switch Operating Systems). Depends on what you're going to do with Windows really, if you're going to play games, definitely Bootcamp as you won't get the same performance in a virtual environment. If you just want to run cK programs a VM will suffice.
    I'd recommend either Windows 7 or 10, you'll need it whether you go with Bootcamp or Parallels by the way (an image disk, a.k.a. Windows ISO and a license).
    Last edited by Accelerator; 12-11-2016 at 12:05 AM.

(you need an account to see links)

"Date et dabitur vobis"
    「Let's fight 恐れはない」

"A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of f��ks I do not give"

「君が望むモノは何?」

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Accelerator For This Useful Post:

Mito (12-11-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    12/1
    Mentioned
    320 times
    Time Online
    95d 4h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    32m
    Parallels is what I use

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    22/0
    Mentioned
    34 times
    Time Online
    3d 7h 36m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by Accelerator View Post
    They're similar but different, Parallels will let you run a Windows OS inside OS X/macOS while Bootcamp will install Windows on a different partition (you'll have to reboot every time you want to switch Operating Systems. Depends on what you're going to do with Windows really, if you're going to play games, definitely Bootcamp as you won't get the same performance in a virtual environment. If you just want to run cK programs a VM will suffice.
    I'd recommend either Windows 7 or 10, you'll need it whether you go with Bootcamp or Parallels by the way (an image disk, a.k.a. Windows ISO and a license).
    I plan to use the software for gaming, so it sounds like Bootcamp is the way to go. I don't mind the rebooting -- switching to Windows wouldn't be all that often.

And based on my past experience with Wine, it's always made me so hesitant to pursue anything similar; so it's even more reassuring that Bootcamp would be more efficient. Thank you so much for the help! Now to do research on choosing 7 or 10. :o

---------- Post added at 09:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:07 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Maison View Post
    Parallels is what I use

Interesting..
    What do you use with Parallels?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    12/1
    Mentioned
    320 times
    Time Online
    95d 4h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    32m
    Windows 10!!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    22/0
    Mentioned
    34 times
    Time Online
    3d 7h 36m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by Maison View Post
    Windows 10!!
    That's what I was leaning towards based on reviews..
    I'd like having the DX12 vs DX10. Rather have present software, than be stuck in the past!

But my actual question was what you use your Parallels for -- gaming, run programs, movie editing, etc.?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    178/0
    Mentioned
    744 times
    Time Online
    335d 1h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 3m
    Quote Originally Posted by Mito View Post
    I plan to use the software for gaming, so it sounds like Bootcamp is the way to go. I don't mind the rebooting -- switching to Windows wouldn't be all that often.

And based on my past experience with Wine, it's always made me so hesitant to pursue anything similar; so it's even more reassuring that Bootcamp would be more efficient. Thank you so much for the help! Now to do research on choosing 7 or 10. :o
    No problem!
    Consider Windows 7 the modern XP and 8/8.1 (and 10 to a lesser extent) the modern Vista .
    It's usually a good-bad cycle when it comes to Operating Systems from Microsoft.
    (e.g. XP was good and Vista was a pos, the same thing happened with 7 and 8/8.1 respectively)
    Windows 10 definitely has more features but also more tracking and stuff you'd probably never use e_e

"Date et dabitur vobis"
    「Let's fight 恐れはない」

"A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of f��ks I do not give"

「君が望むモノは何?」

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    22/0
    Mentioned
    34 times
    Time Online
    3d 7h 36m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    No problem!
    Consider Windows 7 the modern XP and 8/8.1 (and 10 to a lesser extent) the modern Vista .
    It's usually a good-bad cycle when it comes to Operating Systems from Microsoft.
    (e.g. XP was good and Vista was a pos, the same thing happened with 7 and 8/8.1 respectively)
    Windows 10 definitely has more features but also more tracking and stuff you'd probably never use e_e
    AH! Reading up on articles, it's reported that W10 is actually 0.5% slower than W7! Sure it's not much, but when you're already running on Bootcamp that could make a major dent. x_x
    But at the same time, future games will be running on DX12, and I'll once again be limited on games to pick from by sticking with DX10 on W7.

So conflicted.. The pro's and con's are basically even!

---------- Post added at 09:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 PM ----------

Laying it all out -

I'm installing Windows for gaming purposes.
    And with that, I want the best performance from my software.
    I'm about 95% certain with my decision to go with Bootcamp, but now it's come down to which Windows.
    ~ 10 comes with a better DirectX, but slower speed.
    ~ 7 has an outdated DirectX, but runs faster and has an interface I'm somewhat used to (XP owner years ago).

Conflicted!!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    178/0
    Mentioned
    744 times
    Time Online
    335d 1h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 3m
    Quote Originally Posted by Mito View Post
    AH! Reading up on articles, it's reported that W10 is actually 0.5% slower than W7! Sure it's not much, but when you're already running on Bootcamp that could make a major dent. x_x
    But at the same time, future games will be running on DX12, and I'll once again be limited on games to pick from by sticking with DX10 on W7.

So conflicted.. The pro's and con's are basically even!

---------- Post added at 09:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 PM ----------

Laying it all out -

I'm installing Windows for gaming purposes.
    And with that, I want the best performance from my software.
    I'm about 95% certain with my decision to go with Bootcamp, but now it's come down to which Windows.
    ~ 10 comes with a better DirectX, but slower speed.
    ~ 7 has an outdated DirectX, but runs faster and has an interface I'm somewhat used to (XP owner years ago).

Conflicted!!
    I personally always go back to 7 SP1 (And if you're wondering: Yes, I've tried 8, 8.1 and 10, multiple times) My HW is from 2008 so performance is always gonna be "mediocre" whether I use 7 or 10 e_e
    Keep in mind that not all games (and HW) will benefit from DX12 IIRC. Also make sure Apple has all the drivers for the Windows version you're gonna use available on their page (they should since Win10 isn't exactly new, LOL)
    You won't even notice that .5% difference btw. Haven't tried the anniversary update but I'm guessing it has improved things a bit, so I'd just go with 10 and hope for the best.

"Date et dabitur vobis"
    「Let's fight 恐れはない」

「君が望むモノは何?」

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    22/0
    Mentioned
    34 times
    Time Online
    3d 7h 36m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    I personally always go back to 7 SP1 (And if you're wondering: Yes, I've tried 8, 8.1 and 10, multiple times) My HW is from 2008 so performance is always gonna be "mediocre" whether I use 7 or 10 e_e
    Keep in mind that not all games (and HW) will benefit from DX12 IIRC. Also make sure Apple has all the drivers for the Windows version you're gonna use available on their page (they should since Win10 isn't exactly new, LOL)
    You won't even notice that .5% difference btw. Haven't tried the anniversary update but I'm guessing it has improved things a bit, so I'd just go with 10 and hope for the best.
    Aaaaand it supports Windows 10 simply with the purchase of my laptop. Nice!
    Again, thank you so much for the help. I know my questions can be a bit of a nuisance. xD
    I just want to make sure I'm fully aware of what I'm purchasing, and that there's no regrets!
    Final verdict: Bootcamp with Windows 10! *confetti popper emoji*

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mito For This Useful Post:

Accelerator (12-11-2016)