Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How are you going to pitch something that you know everyone will say NO to?

Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    19h 38m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A

How are you going to pitch something that you know everyone will say NO to?

Just wondering guys. This is actually a work problem I'm stumped about, so I thought I'd get your inputs hahaha. The pitch could be any idea ever, whether its a popular or not.

Any answers would be highly appreciated.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    172/0
    Mentioned
    657 times
    Time Online
    182d 5h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 16m
    If you know that it is going to be refused, what is your intention in proposing it anyway? Your intended outcome/motivation will affect the best strategy.

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,155 times
    Time Online
    550d 23h 57m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 26m
    I'd just do my best to present it in a way that appeals to the rest, highlight benefits that the approvers want, that sort of thing. Basically just bullshit it.

thanks stardust for base Thanks Sugarbee Thanks Wooloo
    Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    It would be best to present it as something that benefits everyone in some way. Coworkers are often in it for themselvesome, no extra work or adding to responsibilities if there is no benefit to them. Even if it ends up being a thank you in the end those coworkers need something to make it worth it.

There is also the aspect of common ideas. If you know how your coworkers think then you can play off of that to bring forth an idea in the manner they are more likely to agree with. If someone is very inclined on making money then suggesting picking up a shift for you is something you can play off of. It is very subjective though and no one way works to convince coworkers of something unless you know how they act and behave.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sci_Girl For This Useful Post:

Valerie (11-28-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    28/0
    Mentioned
    9 times
    Time Online
    3d 12h 23m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m

Similar to this That'd get everyone's attention. xD

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellie_Baby For This Useful Post:

ghoulfish (11-28-2016)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    19h 38m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    If only I could swear at my coworkers. Thanks for the input guys!

---------- Post added at 12:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
    If you know that it is going to be refused, what is your intention in proposing it anyway? Your intended outcome/motivation will affect the best strategy.
    I'm actually a trainer for sales reps and this is one of the many topics we were assigned. Most of the products are of course going to be declined, so we need a pitch that'll appeal to them even when we know that the odds are not in our favor.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    20/0
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    11h 1m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Enthusiasm. Enthusiasm is key! Plus make it seem like you're addressing each person individually, not as a group. It makes the appeal seem more personal

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nickirows For This Useful Post:

BrielleCutt (01-29-2017),Valerie (11-29-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    What do you mean by trainer for sales reps? Like a gym trainer/personal trainer that promotes productions at that fitness location or do you mean you train people to be sales reps to sell products to others (aka marketing 'vultures' lol).

Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    19h 38m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I train people to be sales reps. I am basically everyone's worst nightmare. All those calls you guys get from people trying to sell you a bunch of junk...I will now be training them hahaha.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    Oh well in that case it is a bit different. Make sure you fully and completely stress that the insults, phone hangups/door slams, mean words, harsh tones, and complete indifference to products are not meant to be taken personally. The anger comes from the calls at dinner or multiple times after saying no already. Also the distaste is about the overpriced and likely useless product (speaking generally based on what I have been marketed lol) being promoted that the customers are angry with not the sales reps themselves. People know sales reps are just doing their job but it does not mean it is not still annoying. Find a way to let your staff know this is a job they need a good backbone for because it will not be easy.

But if your company has incentives like many do then you can really work with that. It is much easier to be told no 100 times if you know at least some will say yes and you can reap some sort of award for it other than a small commission or minimum wage. If the products you sell are popular ones then it is less stressful. We had a guy come to our door asking if we wanted to buy a new furnace. Uhhh no. But if a kid comes with cookies for sale then you better believe I'm buying.

You have a very tough job ahead of you though. I once worked for an exterior painting company and part of that job was to do door to door sales pitches to get more clients. Do not do what my supervisor asked us to do. His summary was "you need to sell our great service, so really manipulate them into saying yes". Do not use words like manipulate or scheme. I was not comfortable being told that even if marketing is exactly that. Find something great or a aspect of the product that will continually give benefit to the customer and you will have more interest.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sci_Girl For This Useful Post:

Valerie (11-30-2016)