127/0
    Mentioned
    575 times
    Time Online
    62d 4h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    21m

Resume layout

Haven't done a resume in like 7-8years. O_o looking for change going into 2017, hate my job, was offered my boss's job for a $7 hr pay cut lmao yeah right!! I need to get out!

+max rep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    172/0
    Mentioned
    657 times
    Time Online
    182d 5h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 15m
    I've applied for a promotion atm, and these are the headings I used in mine.

Professional History
    Qualifications
    Key Professional Development and Experiences (not something non-teachers would need necessarily)
    Professional Memberships
    Referees

If you'd like, I can upload a redacted version. Don't forget a cover letter too. Those are key in making an impression.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mama Bear For This Useful Post:

Naked Gamer (11-19-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    437d 15h 27m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 30m
    I've been job hunting for the past few months pretty much and have lots of different people tell me lots of different things. It really depends what sorts of positions you're looking for and how you're going to apply.

If you're going to be applying in person, you will want to format your resume so that it looks fancy. Maybe add a splash of color, format it into columns and make the headings look nice. You'll probably want a cover letter as well but I have found them to be not AS important as the main resume.

If you're going to be applying online (which most places prefer now) you're going to want to make sure your resume is simple. When I say simple I mean not formatted like crazy. Simple bullet points, if you're going to use them. Simple headings and all that. You want it like that so when you submit it and it passes through the applicant tracking system, your resume will stand a chance. If the ATS can't pull your information easily, many employers probably won't even look at it.

Im on my phone right now but can bring up some screenshots of my resume and send them to you a little later if you'd like
    What's my definition of success?
    Creating something no one else can
    Being brave enough to dream big
    Grindin' when you're told to just quit
    Giving more when you got nothin' left

5. The Following User Says Thank You to I_royalty_I For This Useful Post:

Naked Gamer (11-19-2016)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    127/0
    Mentioned
    575 times
    Time Online
    62d 4h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    21m
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
    I've applied for a promotion atm, and these are the headings I used in mine.

Professional History
    Qualifications
    Key Professional Development and Experiences (not something non-teachers would need necessarily)
    Professional Memberships
    Referees

If you'd like, I can upload a redacted version. Don't forget a cover letter too. Those are key in making an impression.
    Thanks.

Yeah i'd like it if you could upload it and PM or post here

It'll be sent online. I'm mostly worried about design and look of the thing more then anything don't want it to look to dull i guess

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    Remember to keep it clean. Often they end up full of extra info that is not needed. Sometimes people will put job start dates as month-year. Just leave it as year. Or your post-secondary just list the degree/diploma/certificate rather than a list of courses taken. First look should be neat and tidy. Bold only certain sections so it does stand out; education, name of degree, years of employment at x location etc.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sci_Girl For This Useful Post:

Naked Gamer (11-19-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    182/0
    Mentioned
    145 times
    Time Online
    47d 8h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    23m
    I was also told by a (brain fart those guys that help you get jobs) that resumes nowadays you don't really want to list your job history and what you did on those jobs. That is your application. You don't want your resume to basically be a rewritten application.

You want your resume to be tailored to the job you are applying for.

So

Name
    Contact info
    Objective
    Professional Summary
    Areas of Expertise (this would be skills tailored to the job you are applying for, include special training and certificates if applicable)
    Work experience (should only include work that is applicable to job you are applying for and should not have so much info that their eyes glaze over.
    Education

Keep it to one page. Don't include references unless the application specifically requests them then put them on a separate page. I wouldn't go too far with pretty graphics and colors. I think simple is best and professional looking unless you are applying for some sort of design job where it will show off your skills. Subtle colors I feel are appropriate.

This give a guide on formatting but disregard what it says about showing work history first. Potential employers care more about what your are bringing to the table then what you have doe in the past (ie skills)
    (you need an account to see links)

Also in your cover letter when you write about why you want the job talk about what You would do for their company, not what their company would do for you. Don't write stuff like "I feel like this is a place where I feel like I can advance" just about everyone writes things like that. write things like "I believe that my skills as you will see on my attached resume will aid the company in reaching its (goal here) more efficiently. " Or something like that.

Add in some sentences to show that you have done your homework on the company. Even if the job is something like bar-tending a resume like this will definitely impress whoever is reading it I guarantee it

Edit: Oh and your cover letter should only be a paragraph or two with two or three sentences, not a novel either. You want to catch their attention and perhaps list a few skills that are applicable. You cover letter is the bait to entice them to read your resume. Not your life story. They are going through a shit ton of applications. Respect their time and keep shit brief. If they see a giangantic novel of a cover letter then they will go TL: DR and most likely toss the whole thing to the side.
    Last edited by Stocking Anarchy; 11-19-2016 at 12:18 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Stocking Anarchy For This Useful Post:

Naked Gamer (11-19-2016)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    127/0
    Mentioned
    575 times
    Time Online
    62d 4h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    21m
    Quote Originally Posted by Stocking Anarchy View Post
    I was also told by a (brain fart those guys that help you get jobs) that resumes nowadays you don't really want to list your job history and what you did on those jobs. That is your application. You don't want your resume to basically be a rewritten application.

You want your resume to be tailored to the job you are applying for.

So

Name
    Contact info
    Objective
    Professional Summary
    Areas of Expertise (this would be skills tailored to the job you are applying for, include special training and certificates if applicable)
    Work experience (should only include work that is applicable to job you are applying for and should not have so much info that their eyes glaze over.
    Education

Keep it to one page. Don't include references unless the application specifically requests them then put them on a separate page. I wouldn't go too far with pretty graphics and colors. I think simple is best and professional looking unless you are applying for some sort of design job where it will show off your skills. Subtle colors I feel are appropriate.

This give a guide on formatting but disregard what it says about showing work history first. Potential employers care more about what your are bringing to the table then what you have doe in the past (ie skills)

Also in your cover letter when you write about why you want the job talk about what You would do for their company, not what their company would do for you. Don't write stuff like "I feel like this is a place where I feel like I can advance" just about everyone writes things like that. write things like "I believe that my skills as you will see on my attached resume will aid the company in reaching its (goal here) more efficiently. " Or something like that.

Add in some sentences to show that you have done your homework on the company. Even if the job is something like bar-tending a resume like this will definitely impress whoever is reading it I guarantee it

Edit: Oh and your cover letter should only be a paragraph or two with two or three sentences, not a novel either. You want to catch their attention and perhaps list a few skills that are applicable. You cover letter is the bait to entice them to read your resume. Not your life story. They are going through a shit ton of applications. Respect their time and keep shit brief. If they see a giangantic novel of a cover letter then they will go TL: DR and most likely toss the whole thing to the side.
    Thx big help.

Yeah i should be sweet with all this help.

Don't plan to work any where near Bars hehe

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    27/0
    Mentioned
    242 times
    Time Online
    123d 34m
    Avg. Time Online
    50m
    @(you need an account to see links)

I have a working template linked in my signature. Any questions/need to carve it out, let me know.

One, I love helping others with this kind of stuff, two I need to be rep whore since I'm close to top ck.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to looklook123123 For This Useful Post:

Naked Gamer (11-19-2016)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    172/0
    Mentioned
    657 times
    Time Online
    182d 5h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 15m
    Quote Originally Posted by Naked Gamer View Post
    Thanks.

Yeah i'd like it if you could upload it and PM or post here

It'll be sent online. I'm mostly worried about design and look of the thing more then anything don't want it to look to dull i guess

I format mine like this, using Calibri font. It's still very clear to read, but I think it looks nicer than just Times New Roman.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    127/0
    Mentioned
    575 times
    Time Online
    62d 4h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    21m
    Thanks a lot guys, ran out of rep for 17hrs but ill get to the rest

max rep only 3 people at a time

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Naked Gamer For This Useful Post: