29/0
    Mentioned
    39 times
    Time Online
    15d 1h 20m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m

Set rate?

I don't know if this is the right forum, but does anyone think it would be a better idea to have a set rate on $:g on the forums? Just a suggestion since there's been a lot of competition lately due to the relative popularity of the site and it might serve better for the sellers and the buyers if there was a set rate like there is on Neopoints, so the rate doesn't keep shooting up. Lower prices for sellers might drive off new potential sellers too.
    Any thoughts on this? Pros or cons? Ideal rate? Keep in mind it's just an idea and that nothing's set in stone unless the admins allow it!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Irohh For This Useful Post:

Acccccc (05-13-2017)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    64/0
    Mentioned
    942 times
    Time Online
    291d 16h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 55m
    If there is enough support for this, it may be a possibility. Keep in mind, we are a Neopets-selling site, so we try to leave the other markets unregulated, but if you guys want it, I don't think it'd be impossible to implement.
    i love luna

Thanks
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    6d 19h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    A set rate sounds like a good idea, it seems like the issue is a surplus of gems available for sale but a limited buyer base currently. I started selling pretty recently compared to some of the others and had some luck in the start but that's slowed down with the rate being so variable and unknown at times. All in all, a set rate would be useful but I do wonder if it would last considering the buyers seem sparse at the moment. I may be wrong so I'd love to hear what others think.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    19/0
    Mentioned
    733 times
    Time Online
    158d 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    57m
    Been thinking about that as well, many of the current sellers of gems and treasure state "will sell lowest than anyone else, if you send me proof of their price" which really devaluates the market in the end

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pusheen For This Useful Post:

Acccccc (05-13-2017),Aura (11-05-2016),Irohh (11-05-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    10 times
    Time Online
    11d 17h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    There is no need to regulate the prices. The competition is making gems more affordable to buyers. If we lower the rate, it will lower the amount of people purchasing gems. If you can't afford to sell at me and gamerkid's rates, stop selling.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    64/0
    Mentioned
    942 times
    Time Online
    291d 16h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 55m
    Quote Originally Posted by BigEddie View Post
    There is no need to regulate the prices. The competition is making gems more affordable to buyers. If we lower the rate, it will lower the amount of people purchasing gems. If you can't afford to sell at me and gamerkid's rates, stop selling.
    I'm confused. Lowering the rate won't lower the amount of people purchasing gems?
    It's not a matter of lowering the rate, it's having a set price for gems. For example, $2 for 100 gems. Just a made-up one, I have no idea what gems sell for lol.

---------- Post added at 04:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:52 PM ----------

Having a set rate would stop sellers from undercutting each other and keep the price from plummeting, though.
    i love luna

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    17/0
    Mentioned
    59 times
    Time Online
    13d 1h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    This is exactly why there would be a need to regulate prices, because competition will eventually make it less worthwhile to sell gems
    it's not about being "able" to afford to sell at your rates it's about it being not worthwhile to at least until the people who are undercutting everyone else inevitably runs out of stock to be able to meet demands, at which point the market would just end up rising back to what other sellers consider a fair rate

basically you're being a dick and taking business from other people by undercutting them just because you're satisfied with making less money for the same services, this is the reason why 90% of call-centers are in india but unlike you who's selling a limited resource they're selling a service so this only really works for the first part of my example.. can't really be bothered to come up with something better though since I don't really care or play FR lol

550 for 1$ is your rate now I guess? you made it sound like it was mostly you and one other guy undercutting the rest of the sellers.. and 350 for 1$ was a common price before? so what, an average fair price would be like 500 for 1$ currently?

regardless how you described supply and demand is inherently flawed, the amount of people buying gems won't change if you offer a different rate.. if you increase the price of food people are still gonna buy food.. they may look around a bit more to find if anyone offers a lower price but if everyone agrees on a set price this isn't an issue and makes selling fair and accessible for everyone

---------- Post added at 08:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 AM ----------

also wasn't aware that gems were a fluctuating currency... so I guess you'd have to adjust rates when the gem price in game changes dramatically
    Ana's slave <3

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    10 times
    Time Online
    11d 17h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    Quote Originally Posted by Kite View Post
    This is exactly why there would be a need to regulate prices, because competition will eventually make it less worthwhile to sell gems
    it's not about being "able" to afford to sell at your rates it's about it being not worthwhile to at least until the people who are undercutting everyone else inevitably runs out of stock to be able to meet demands, at which point the market would just end up rising back to what other sellers consider a fair rate

basically you're being a dick and taking business from other people by undercutting them just because you're satisfied with making less money for the same services, this is the reason why 90% of call-centers are in india but unlike you who's selling a limited resource they're selling a service so this only really works for the first part of my example.. can't really be bothered to come up with something better though since I don't really care or play FR lol

550 for 1$ is your rate now I guess? you made it sound like it was mostly you and one other guy undercutting the rest of the sellers.. and 350 for 1$ was a common price before? so what, an average fair price would be like 500 for 1$ currently?

regardless how you described supply and demand is inherently flawed, the amount of people buying gems won't change if you offer a different rate.. if you increase the price of food people are still gonna buy food.. they may look around a bit more to find if anyone offers a lower price but if everyone agrees on a set price this isn't an issue and makes selling fair and accessible for everyone

---------- Post added at 08:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 AM ----------

also wasn't aware that gems were a fluctuating currency... so I guess you'd have to adjust rates when the gem price in game changes dramatically
    I'm a dick because I can afford to sell my gems at 550? I just got a message for me to price match an order with a 10001 gem rate. People are used to a $1:550 rate, if you can't sell at that price, don't sell at all.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    17/0
    Mentioned
    59 times
    Time Online
    13d 1h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    I'm a dick because I can afford to sell my gems at 550? I just got a message for me to price match an order with a 10001 gem rate. People are used to a $1:550 rate, if you can't sell at that price, don't sell at all.
    Like I said I'm not familiar with the currency but again it's not about being able to sell at someone elses rates because as long as you have the supply you can "afford" to it's about it being worthwhile to sell at the price or better to just sit on your stock until the selling market becomes more profitable, unless of course it's one of those currencies that can't be spent as fast as it's earned then it'll just deflate forever and you'll end up with Zimbabwe money
    Ana's slave <3

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    10 times
    Time Online
    11d 17h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    Quote Originally Posted by Aura View Post
    I'm confused. Lowering the rate won't lower the amount of people purchasing gems?
    It's not a matter of lowering the rate, it's having a set price for gems. For example, $2 for 100 gems. Just a made-up one, I have no idea what gems sell for lol.

---------- Post added at 04:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:52 PM ----------

Having a set rate would stop sellers from undercutting each other and keep the price from plummeting, though.
    No. There has been an influx in buyers ever since we have raised the gem to $ ratio. More people can afford gems now, which means a slight increase in buyers. If you set a rate that is too low, people will stop buying because it won't be worth it anymore. A lower rate will also mean more people selling, and there is already only a few buyers.
    Last edited by BigE; 11-05-2016 at 07:14 PM.