Thread: Putting Kali Linux on an Older Machine?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    8h 7m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A

Question Putting Kali Linux on an Older Machine?

I am thinking of using an old XP Netbook to load Kali Linux. I want to completely overwrite the Windows XP operating system. The machine has about a gig of ram. Slow, but I'd like to use the old machine for something since it's just lying around.

Any thoughts on whether this might be a terrible idea? Most of me says it's a terrible idea, but I just can't seem to talk myself out of it.

I originally wanted to turn the machine into a WAMP, but then I learned about security and why that was an awful idea.

Note: I am new to much of this world; the programming experience I have extends to a novice understanding of GML (Game Maker Language). I know some Python, and some Ruby. I'd like to improve upon my entire skill set, and Kali seems like the best window to begin doing so. I just don't want to dual boot my primary machine.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    178/0
    Mentioned
    744 times
    Time Online
    335d 1h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 3m
    Not a terrible idea... At all, trust me
    I gpt rid of XP and installed Linux Lite on an old HP 500 notebook I had (Celeron M @ 1.7 GHz and 512 MB of RAM originally, until I replaced it with a 2 gigs stick from my other laptop) and had no regrets.
    If you want an official Ubuntu flavor Lubuntu would be the most ideal.
    Never heard about WAMP(s) so if you can tell me what they are that would be cool, lol (guessing the MP stands for media player? But then why would you be worried about security? Nevermind, haha..
    Pretty sure backtrack is mostly used for network stuff though?

Sent from my quantum supercomputer
    Last edited by Accelerator; 10-27-2016 at 09:16 PM.

(you need an account to see links)

"Date et dabitur vobis"
    「Let's fight 恐れはない」

"A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of f��ks I do not give"

「君が望むモノは何?」

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Accelerator For This Useful Post:

SickPoorBastard (10-27-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    8h 7m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I gpt rid of XP and installed Linux Lite on an old HP 500 notebook I had (Celeron M @ 1.7 GHz and 512 MB of RAM originally, until I replaced it with a 2 gigs stick from my other laptop) and had no regrets.

If you want an official Ubuntu flavor Lubuntu would be the most ideal.
    I would like to use programs such as Cain & Abel. I want to begin learning how to test security vulnerabilities and better my own understanding of Internet Security. I read somewhere that Kali comes with these things installed and is a great beginning platform. Have you heard anything about this?

Never heard about WAMP(s) so if you can tell me what they are that would be cool, lol (guessing the MP stands for media player? But then why would you be worried about security? .
    A windows server. I was told that a server running with a framework based on XP will be increasingly vulnerable in the coming years.

[QUOTE]Pretty sure backtrack is mostly used for network stuff though?[/strike]
    I don't know what Backtrack is. Mind telling me?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    435d 9h 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 29m
    You don't need to have Kali to get started with those sorts of things. There are plenty of tools available online, like Cain & Abel. I have used Kali in a classroom setting and there are definitely a lot of fun things to check out on there. Using Kali would probably be a better better than going with a WAMP setup though. I haven't used Kali in awhile, but it's on my to-do list. I just turned one of my old notebooks into an Ubuntu server. Going to set another one up as a workstation so I can mess around with that. I may try to dual boot Kali and Ubuntu. If you just want to mess around with network security and that sort of stuff, it wouldn't be a bad idea to put Kali on your old machine. I say go for it and let me know how you like it.
    What's my definition of success?
    Creating something no one else can
    Being brave enough to dream big
    Grindin' when you're told to just quit
    Giving more when you got nothin' left

6. The Following User Says Thank You to I_royalty_I For This Useful Post:

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    8h 7m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by I_royalty_I View Post
    You don't need to have Kali to get started with those sorts of things. There are plenty of tools available online, like Cain & Abel. I have used Kali in a classroom setting and there are definitely a lot of fun things to check out on there. Using Kali would probably be a better better than going with a WAMP setup though. I haven't used Kali in awhile, but it's on my to-do list. I just turned one of my old notebooks into an Ubuntu server. Going to set another one up as a workstation so I can mess around with that. I may try to dual boot Kali and Ubuntu. If you just want to mess around with network security and that sort of stuff, it wouldn't be a bad idea to put Kali on your old machine. I say go for it and let me know how you like it.
    Alright, sounds great. I love the "little netbook that could" outlook-- appreciate your input. I'll update in a few months when I'm not buried in as much grad school work. Thanks for your reply~!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    435d 9h 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 29m
    Quote Originally Posted by SickPoorBastard View Post
    Alright, sounds great. I love the "little netbook that could" outlook-- appreciate your input. I'll update in a few months when I'm not buried in as much grad school work. Thanks for your reply~!
    What are you studying in grad school?
    I may get my Kali machine up and running before you so shoot me a PM once you get that rolling and I'll share some tips. Hopefully I'll have a few by then haha
    What's my definition of success?
    Creating something no one else can
    Being brave enough to dream big
    Grindin' when you're told to just quit
    Giving more when you got nothin' left

9. The Following User Says Thank You to I_royalty_I For This Useful Post:

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    178/0
    Mentioned
    744 times
    Time Online
    335d 1h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 3m
    [QUOTE=SickPoorBastard;793033]I would like to use programs such as Cain & Abel. I want to begin learning how to test security vulnerabilities and better my own understanding of Internet Security. I read somewhere that Kali comes with these things installed and is a great beginning platform. Have you heard anything about this?

A windows server. I was told that a server running with a framework based on XP will be increasingly vulnerable in the coming years.

Pretty sure backtrack is mostly used for network stuff though?[/strike]
    I don't know what Backtrack is. Mind telling me?
    Backtrack is Kali's old distro name
    And, like Andrew said, pretty sure you can install all those "toys" in any Linux distro as long as it's based on Debian
    If you MUST have Kali get away from the KDE version though you'll make your computer suffer e.e

"Date et dabitur vobis"
    「Let's fight 恐れはない」

"A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of f��ks I do not give"

「君が望むモノは何?」

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    8h 7m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by I_royalty_I View Post
    What are you studying in grad school?
    I may get my Kali machine up and running before you so shoot me a PM once you get that rolling and I'll share some tips. Hopefully I'll have a few by then haha
    I'm getting my master's in English, with a focus in creative writing. I'm writing a videogame script (Screenplay, not code) for my master's thesis.

I grabbed GameMaker off of Humble Bundle last month and I've gone to town ever since. After I realized last month that I actually hate grading papers (a prerequisite if you're going to be a teacher) I realized that I really love programming. I want to make experiences and worlds. I have incredible stories to tell via an interactive medium, and I've been hitting the iron every chance I get since then. I would like to have my game done by December so that I can first try to put it up on Steam.

I taught myself to build websites two years ago, set up a website for my webcomic, and realized that I love learning how to make things with computers. I need to be following that, and so I am (in between teaching, working, and the rest of life's responsibilities).

I will definitely update when I have the netbook. Thanks for asking. This conversation has filled me with some kind of determination~

Quote Originally Posted by Accelerator
    Backtrack is Kali's old distro name
    And, like Andrew said, pretty sure you can install all those "toys" in any Linux distro as long as it's based on Debian
    If you MUST have Kali get away from the KDE version though you'll make your computer suffer e.e

Noted! Thanks.
    Last edited by SickPoorBastard; 10-27-2016 at 10:31 PM. Reason: clarity

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SickPoorBastard For This Useful Post:

I_royalty_I (10-27-2016)