127/0
    Mentioned
    575 times
    Time Online
    62d 4h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    21m

Life nostalgia

Do you guys remember how fast we thought we typed on the old number pad phone's compared to now? O_o

I was typing away as you do and the thought just came to me how quickly i guess we have progressed in doing everything faster without realising it. i still remember them $1 phone plans of those old nokia bricks it's a distant memory but its still hanging on

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    23 times
    Time Online
    15d 17h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    A guy at my law school has a flip phone still and mentioned how he uses T9 Word today and I about lost it.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Espeon For This Useful Post:

DJ Music Man (10-14-2016),Naked Gamer (10-14-2016)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    127/0
    Mentioned
    575 times
    Time Online
    62d 4h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    21m
    Quote Originally Posted by Espeon View Post
    A guy at my law school has a flip phone still and mentioned how he uses T9 Word today and I about lost it.
    Flip phones should be in a museum by now with the quick evolution of the phone in general it's evolved quite quick really.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    172/0
    Mentioned
    657 times
    Time Online
    182d 5h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 16m
    This came up in one of my classes yesterday, actually. I mentioned that my phone in high school was black and white, and they responded "that would have sucked for watching videos then." They were disgusted when I then added that phones didn't have the internet. They were just for...shock horror...phoning people.

Nostalgia makes me think of member berries.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mama Bear For This Useful Post:

kittyray (10-14-2016),Naked Gamer (10-14-2016)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    127/0
    Mentioned
    575 times
    Time Online
    62d 4h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    21m
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
    This came up in one of my classes yesterday, actually. I mentioned that my phone in high school was black and white, and they responded "that would have sucked for watching videos then." They were disgusted when I then added that phones didn't have the internet. They were just for...shock horror...phoning people.

Nostalgia makes me think of member berries.
    haha geez did you mention they didn't have cameras and texting memes wasn't a thing? I think you really could of blown there minds!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    Remember when we actually had to plan out the week's TV watching by waiting for TV Guide to come in the mail, or going out to buy it at the 7-11?

Or when schools got these bad boys, it was like glory days was upon us.

Even more glorious when these ones came in.

I learned how to do math with Number Munchers...not sure how many people also did.

Now it is all fed to you, internet everywhere, no fending for yourself.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    208 times
    Time Online
    98d 13h 33m
    Avg. Time Online
    39m
    dial-up... fucking dial-up. trying to scope a titty pic with dial-up was something else. kids dont know how good theyve got it nowadays with the broadband.

ive mentioned to my nieces that phones were black and white/didnt have cameras/didnt have internet etc. they were super horrified bc theyre used to playing with my sisters iphone. told them about old laptops too back in 2001 etc, they got proper worked up because, again, theyre used to using my sisters slim and powerful laptop that weighs less than a goddamn blueberry. showed them my old gameboy too, and my gameboy colour, they got real upset about there being no backlight or touch screen.

its pretty cute! i like kids being shocked at all this, its just funny. because in a few years theyll be talking to kids like "back in my day we only had 25 megapixel cameras and fibre optic broadband!!!! 1080p was the standard!!!!" like? its funny. its so funny.

ive told some kids about when u wanted to record tunes from the radio too. got your wee casette tape, waited til the song came on the radio, pressed record, tried to stop recording as the radio dj started speaking. always knew when a shop had a bootleg tape cos youd hear your local station dj start talking near the end of the song before it changed and youd just look at the staff like "ill no phone the polis on you mate ive got the same copy the feds will never know innit" top

msn messenger was quite good too. better than skype anyway. kinda miss custom emoticons. trying to type a letter and it comes out as a huge glittery bastard you saved from your pal from school.

all of my stuff is so technology-based wtf. ive been using the internet since i was 6 years old. this is true millennial bullshit.

edit: oh fuck the millennium bug... yall remember that... shitting yourself at 31/12/1999 23:59 cos youre expecting your pc to leap out the cupboard and knife you in the gut. just like "dad its fine im only 5 i shouldnt be up this late anyway" running upstairs to hide under your bed because if your computer does kill everyone youre not goin down with them. that was such a wild time.

oh and also when freddos were 5p. 10p crisps were a staple diet. life hasnt been the same since the credit crunch. im not paying 20p for a freddo these days ive got dignity.
    Last edited by Mindfang; 10-14-2016 at 11:20 AM.

Pronouns
    he/they/she
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    8/0
    Mentioned
    59 times
    Time Online
    30d 11h 46m
    Avg. Time Online
    13m
    Maaan, dial-up was what we had until almost the end of middle school for me. Granted, my home country lags behind in technology advances, but yet, I remember being yelled at for going to the computer when one of my parents were expecting a call from someone. I remember also that Neopets pages, even the simpler ones, would take three to five minutes to load, so playing Neopets was literally a waiting game.

Also, we had this bootleg computer with 128 MB of HD and nothing of RAM and that ran on Windows XP and my parents thought it was the shit, because my mother's father had put it together from top notch parts of other computers he had come across.

And I mean, I did start using technology at the age of 5, mainly computers, mainly to draw shit drawings on MS Paint, and I was like, the oddball on the class, everyone else barely knew what a computer is...

I remember commemorating over getting my own email account at the age of 7, it was like, an achievement, emails accounts were one of those cool and important adult stuff for me, I had no idea of what to do with it, but I did prize having it and would check it every day.

Also, I didn't use MSN, but I did use AIM. For a very short period of time, though. And I remember going into some few chat rooms in elementary school, just to chat, and my parents would loom over my shoulder and tell me to leave whenever they thought I should, because they were shit scared of those "pedophile behind the screen" stories. I think that was before the whole thing of chat moderators, though.

Oh, yeah, I also used the computer to make Dollz on a Dollz Maker website. I'd spend countless hours actually doing that.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    Oh man Dial up? What a pile of dog poop that was. I can just hear it now GET OFF THE DANG COMPUTER I NEED TO CALL YOUR AUNTIE!! or worse yet MOOOMMMMMMMMM GET OFF THE PHONE I'M CHATTING HERE! Worse because Mom wins you do not.

MSN though was a gem. You could customize your status. Fun stuff. And that chime it was like da na na and you would be all ooooohhh who wants to talk to me

I remember my first cell phone didn't come with a plan, I had a time card. $25 for the month and you had to limit your messages and calls because it cost too much. And getting a ring tone cost too much.