Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Climate Change, Chinese Hoax or Impending Apocolypse?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    39/0
    Mentioned
    12 times
    Time Online
    21d 9h 46m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m

Climate Change, Chinese Hoax or Impending Apocolypse?

Scientist are telling us what seems to be everyday now we are tipping over the edge of a runaway effect that will ultimately lead us to our own demise via wars, famine before the ocean acidifies and we all die! But then we have people who still believe this is an actual hoax?

What are your thoughts on this issue? Are we to far gone? Or is any of this even happening? Are you furious our politicians couldnt give a shit less? Are you worried for the future of your kids? Id love to here from the ck community!

Some articles Ive seen on reddit this past week

(you need an account to see links)

i cant recieve private messages on here im not ignoring u

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    4/0
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    1d 19h 43m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    I'm a chemical engineer, for my capstone project in school I worked on a carbon capture and sequestration process design. I had an industrial advisor that had a weird view on climate change, he believed it was real but that it wasn't caused by traditional greenhouse gasses like carbon dioxide or methane. But that it was caused by increased amounts of water vapour in the atmosphere, his argument was fairly compelling.

Here's a link to the article he wrote about the subject and presented at a couple conferences:
    I have a copy to the full article if anyone wants it just shoot me a pm.

In my opinion we're fine, our kids will be fine, but their kids will be screwed. I don't believe it'll ever be too late to undo the damage we did. But undoing environmental damage unfortunately isn't financially attractive. I don't blame the politicians, I blame the corporations and their shareholders (0.0000001% blame myself as a result). I don't think we're at the tipping point, people have been saying the sky is falling for years now, but the longer we wait the more people will die as a result in the long run.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jack35999 For This Useful Post:

Milly (10-12-2018),Winona (11-09-2018)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    1d 1h 27m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    the thing that concerns me most is not that it is going to kill us all. i am not sure how far we are from that point, but i am not afraid of death. pain is reserved for the living.
    i am concerned about the rampant diseases that are nearly impossible to get away from in today's reality. i am constantly wondering what it would be like to be able to just have easy access to healthy foods that don't cause horrible illnesses. i wonder what it was like being a human hundreds (or thousands) of years ago and not be in pain all the time. not be kept alive with diseases that you treat with drugs that just cause new sickness to embed itself in your DNA.
    i miss being able to eat seafood without thinking "wow i am filling my body with insanely toxic micro plastics"

5. The Following User Says Thank You to earthanimal For This Useful Post:

Winona (11-09-2018)

Pronouns
    hers/his
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    43/0
    Mentioned
    169 times
    Time Online
    43d 13h 29m
    Avg. Time Online
    24m
    That is a a pretty bad and weak argument. Like, hundreds (not thousands, thousands is worse) years ago, people lived to their 40s with the same problems than today (if not worse, and IF they get to live past 2 or 10 years old), thats why all that "drugs" were created in the first place, there're no sickness not illneses that could "embed" in the ADN, and the illneses and plagues they lived hundreds years ago were horrifying and misstreated. Medical science is way different now than then...

Now, about eating microplastics, etc, the thing is that there should be a more strict lineup of what we eat, and how industries process it, there's a need of better industry practices regarding contamination but, as jack35999 says, it has a lot to do with finances and how we assume our way of living. I mean, it's sad, but just by eating a little less meat in western countries and having less to zero children, environmental damage and famine would be better controlled...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Da Plushee Boree For This Useful Post:

Milly (10-13-2018)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    33/0
    Mentioned
    4 times
    Time Online
    6d 6h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    I do not know why "Chinese hoax" is even included in the title, it seems as though you are trying to give that some validity.

Capitalism, specifically western and white capitalism has destroyed the planet. Endless greed, nonexistent care for the planet and renewable resources, destruction of indigenous lands and cultures has really done the most harm. What we eat is not the problem, it's how it's mass-produced for a western capitalist society that is. Eating meat was never a problem for the thousands of years that people have done it, and neither was international agriculture. Now both of them are ruining the environment AND exploiting indigenous people and land/cultures in the global south.

China has reduced their footprint immensely and continues to do so, while western nations absolutely refuse to and INCREASE their carbon footprints. We really sucked all we could from Earth and continue to do so, while placing the work of correcting it on children.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. 49 For This Useful Post:

jack35999 (10-12-2018)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    4/0
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    1d 19h 43m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. 49 View Post
    I do not know why "Chinese hoax" is even included in the title, it seems as though you are trying to give that some validity.

Capitalism, specifically western and white capitalism has destroyed the planet. Endless greed, nonexistent care for the planet and renewable resources, destruction of indigenous lands and cultures has really done the most harm. What we eat is not the problem, it's how it's mass-produced for a western capitalist society that is. Eating meat was never a problem for the thousands of years that people have done it, and neither was international agriculture. Now both of them are ruining the environment AND exploiting indigenous people and land/cultures in the global south.

China has reduced their footprint immensely and continues to do so, while western nations absolutely refuse to and INCREASE their carbon footprints. We really sucked all we could from Earth and continue to do so, while placing the work of correcting it on children.
    I'm gonna contradict my previous point above and put some blame on the politicians, I realize I overlooked something. The people who rule China expect to be in that position until they die, so they act and plan for the long term. As well, the people don't really have a choice in it when there's new taxes or costs related to going green. In the west politicians plan for the next election, and supporting carbon taxes are wildly unpopular. They care more about the short term, staying in power, rather than the long term.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jack35999 For This Useful Post:

Milly (10-13-2018)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    39/0
    Mentioned
    12 times
    Time Online
    21d 9h 46m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. 49 View Post

Your assumption is incorrect bud, its in the title because the President of The United States has people actually believing this shit. Not me forcing a conspiracy on people. (ok maybe a little clickbait too )

Love the energy though! Take it to the polls this November!

I understand climate change being a chinese hoax is a blatant crazy conspiracy theory to us, but people really don't think anything is happening.

tl;dr Chinese hoax is a direct quote from our POTUS on the subject matter we are 'debating' in this topic hence why it was used in the title. Other than that I agree with you wholeheartedly.

---------- Post added at 11:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by jack35999 View Post
    I'm a chemical engineer, for my capstone project in school I worked on a carbon capture and sequestration process design. I had an industrial advisor that had a weird view on climate change, he believed it was real but that it wasn't caused by traditional greenhouse gasses like carbon dioxide or methane. But that it was caused by increased amounts of water vapour in the atmosphere, his argument was fairly compelling.

Here's a link to the article he wrote about the subject and presented at a couple conferences:
    I have a copy to the full article if anyone wants it just shoot me a pm.

In my opinion we're fine, our kids will be fine, but their kids will be screwed. I don't believe it'll ever be too late to undo the damage we did. But undoing environmental damage unfortunately isn't financially attractive. I don't blame the politicians, I blame the corporations and their shareholders (0.0000001% blame myself as a result). I don't think we're at the tipping point, people have been saying the sky is falling for years now, but the longer we wait the more people will die as a result in the long run.
    Interesting contribution! Thank you for sharing, I am going to have to disagree with the statement that it wont ever be too late to undo the damages we have caused, once that Clathrate gun is 'fired' (some already think it has) I think were boned. The thought has me quaking in my loafers.

---------- Post added 10-13-2018 at 12:03 AM ---------- Previous post was 10-12-2018 at 11:56 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by earthanimal View Post
    the thing that concerns me most is not that it is going to kill us all. i am not sure how far we are from that point, but i am not afraid of death. pain is reserved for the living.
    i am concerned about the rampant diseases that are nearly impossible to get away from in today's reality. i am constantly wondering what it would be like to be able to just have easy access to healthy foods that don't cause horrible illnesses. i wonder what it was like being a human hundreds (or thousands) of years ago and not be in pain all the time. not be kept alive with diseases that you treat with drugs that just cause new sickness to embed itself in your DNA.
    i miss being able to eat seafood without thinking "wow i am filling my body with insanely toxic micro plastics"
    I feel like you're arguing a point for homeopathic medicine and a paleo diet up until the micro-plastic bit, which is still being brought up in regards to your diet opposed to micro-plastics effect on the planet.
    I'm gonna disagree with this entire post and leave at that since my goal is to keep this related to the climate changing rapidly.
    Love the bold opinions though! I encourage you to make a thread in this section about the diet of humans today/fda regulations/big pharma and the way we are affected! (:
    Last edited by Milly; 10-13-2018 at 12:07 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Milly For This Useful Post:

Mr. 49 (10-14-2018)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    4/0
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    1d 19h 43m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    I think the reason I say that I don't believe it'll ever be too late to fix the damage is that people will use that as an excuse for inaction when there's still a chance. I can see policy makers saying such and such scientific authority said we already passed the tipping point, why spend money to try and undo something we can't stop.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jack35999 For This Useful Post:

Milly (10-13-2018)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    Give it a few more generations and we done son. Western Nations are too fat, lazy, and massively greedy to care. Change could happen for the better, planet wise with simple changes to at least reduce impact on the environmenr. However go ahead and tell a group of those citizens to put down the single 3000 calorie meal for a salad and walk to work. Even for a little while, not forever. Good luck with the response.

Frankly Dwight said it best.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    39/0
    Mentioned
    12 times
    Time Online
    21d 9h 46m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    Quote Originally Posted by Sci_Girl View Post
    Give it a few more generations and we done son. Western Nations are too fat, lazy, and massively greedy to care. Change could happen for the better, planet wise with simple changes to at least reduce impact on the environmenr. However go ahead and tell a group of those citizens to put down the single 3000 calorie meal for a salad and walk to work. Even for a little while, not forever. Good luck with the response.

Frankly Dwight said it best.

I think we're way beyond the point of eating less meat and walking to work, IIRC the UN report stated we need to have a net 0 carbon emissions by 2050 to stop warming past 1.5 c