182/0
    Mentioned
    145 times
    Time Online
    47d 8h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    23m

Neopets Ethics Discussion

So we all know inactive accounts used to have people who played the game that no longer do so and these are most likely people we never knew.

What would you do if you knew a bunch of inactive accounts of people that you used to play with. Those that haven't logged in over 10 years or those whom you know who have died. Would you leave those accounts alone as a memorial? Would it depend on how well you knew the player behind the account? Would you try to get back in touch with them and ask them if you can adopt that sweet UC pet they have languishing on their old account?

I was looking at the members list of a dead guild one of my side accounts was in and thought it would be an interesting discussion topic.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Stocking Anarchy For This Useful Post:

Raposa (09-16-2016)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    127/0
    Mentioned
    575 times
    Time Online
    62d 4h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    21m
    I'd deactivate like i did already then started a new account lol

Any account left for dead i think should stay dead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Naked Gamer For This Useful Post:

Raposa (09-16-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    192/0
    Mentioned
    105 times
    Time Online
    9d 19h 14m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    If it was someone whom I know that has passed, I'd try to get into it and secure it so some fucker doesn't get into it. Let it sit as a memorial. Log in once in a while so it doesn't get purged.

If it was someone whom I know that is still around, and didn't care about neo anymore, I'd flat out be honest with them. If they're a good friend, they most likely wouldn't give a shit.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Solgaleo For This Useful Post:

DJ Music Man (09-16-2016),Raposa (09-16-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    182/0
    Mentioned
    145 times
    Time Online
    47d 8h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    23m
    If it was someone whom I know that has passed, I'd try to get into it and secure it so some fucker doesn't get into it. Let it sit as a memorial. Log in once in a while so it doesn't get purged.
    That is a really nice thought. Only one of my neofriends that have passed away still have an account that shows up. The other twos family knew that the ladies played neo so they disabled their accounts after their passing.

Pronouns
    He/Him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    223 times
    Time Online
    76d 19h 32m
    Avg. Time Online
    35m
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoroark View Post

If it was someone whom I know that is still around, and didn't care about neo anymore, I'd flat out be honest with them. If they're a good friend, they most likely wouldn't give a shit.
    This is actually something I would see myself doing as well.
    When one of my friends left, she straight up said "Do you want these accounts? Im not coming back. Take what you want"
    So I kept them, and just log in ever so often to make sure things are ok. I never took anything, but I do appreciate the fact that she did that for me.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bulbasaur For This Useful Post:

Raposa (09-16-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    3d 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Sometimes I wish that Neo would instate some sort of safeguard against the purging/hacking of accounts of users who have died, kind of like Subeta has. Since for so many of us, what we have online is as much a part of us as anything else...I feel as though it would be respectful to protect accounts as memorials.

As for those still living who have simply quit...I see nothing wrong with contacting them asking for the account, or asking for UC pets on the account. If they have no emotional investment in Neopets, why should it matter to them? Better the account get used rather than sit there and rot for another 10 years.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    127/0
    Mentioned
    575 times
    Time Online
    62d 4h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    21m
    Quote Originally Posted by Creme View Post
    Sometimes I wish that Neo would instate some sort of safeguard against the purging/hacking of accounts of users who have died, kind of like Subeta has. Since for so many of us, what we have online is as much a part of us as anything else...I feel as though it would be respectful to protect accounts as memorials.

As for those still living who have simply quit...I see nothing wrong with contacting them asking for the account, or asking for UC pets on the account. If they have no emotional investment in Neopets, why should it matter to them? Better the account get used rather than sit there and rot for another 10 years.
    Like a memorial account feature that once active the account can't be accessed even if using the right info to get in?

I think something like that would be awesome for a feature. Can't see it ever coming in but we can dream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    64/0
    Mentioned
    942 times
    Time Online
    291d 16h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 55m
    I could never take an account from someone whom I knew was deceased. That's just not right imo lol
    I've flat-out asked people for their stuff when I know they've quit.. No shame
    i love luna

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aura For This Useful Post:

DJ Music Man (09-16-2016),Raposa (09-16-2016),unknowable (09-16-2016)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    84/1
    Mentioned
    533 times
    Time Online
    134d 9h 16m
    Avg. Time Online
    52m
    If they're dead, I ain't a grave robber. lol
    If I knew em and actually liked em a little bit, then I'll leave their stuff alone, or contact them some way to tell them to secure their shit.

Otherwise their account is getting taken to pound town.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mophead For This Useful Post:

Raposa (09-16-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    19/0
    Mentioned
    86 times
    Time Online
    38d 16h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    if I liked em I'd leave it alone, otherwise it's fair game ~
    Last edited by Guy; 09-15-2016 at 01:24 PM.