Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What kind of Youtube videos do you watch? A few questions?

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    209 times
    Time Online
    30d 20h 25m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m

What kind of Youtube videos do you watch? A few questions?

So my peeps - I'm starting a Youtube channel and I'm SO excited I can't even express it. I have quite a few ideas down, and I have my overall style/branding done. Would you guys maybe answer a few questions for me?

- What kind of videos do you find yourself watching the most?
    - Who do you watch and why?
    - What makes you stop watching a video that you originally thought you were interested in?
    - General feedback and what you'd like to see in a channel.

I'm happy to +rep for some detailed feedback because it'd really help me out! <3

Also, are giveaways/activities for subscribers allowed on here?

Thank you so much!

Thanks
    DL/UL
    19/0
    Mentioned
    733 times
    Time Online
    158d 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    56m
    YouTube is basically my TV lol
    Hopefully my answers help you with your project!

1) To be honest I watch a bit of everything, from gamers to beauty girls. I'm subscribed to a bit more than 60 channels and most of them are comedy related. I also watch a lot of food related channels and people who live in japan.

2) I watch fail army, nigahiga, shane dawson, good mythical morning, simon&martina, rachel&jun, texan in tokyo, cooking with dog, pewdiepie, cutiepiemarzia, swoozie, matt stonie, mytoecold, kinoshita yuka, maangchi, miles jai, domics, casey naistat, will akana, cyanide & happiness and a lot of ASMR channels. Why? Mainly entertainment and the japanese channels for knowledge too. Some channels that I follow I just keep watching since I've been subscribed for too long and nostalgia makes me keep watching even though I don't enjoy the content as much as before (hence pewdiepie and nigahiga, had the same problem with smosh but they changed their videos way too much so I was able to unsubscribe lol)

3) As soon as I realize there's some clickbait element into it, I stop watching (like "Why I stopped doing x thing" and the video is 9 minutes long and they only start talking about the title at 7m mark and so on). Also audio is a huge deal for me since I use headphones and I'm sensitive to that (example: there's a great channel of a sushi chef but the audio of his videos is crap since he records from his restaurant and I can't watch his videos due the crappy audio). Also if the person is too cheesy I stop the video, like when they are trying too hard to add jokes or make angles effects (like jumping from side to side of the screen and so on).

4) Is very hard to come up with an unique channel, most topics have been covered but what I enjoy is when someone has an unique style to add into the mix, like a format or something personal that makes your channel different and makes you come back for more. For example look at mytoecold and Will Akana, same type of channels (one to one stand up comedy kinda thing) but completely different between each other. That's what I enjoy of YouTube and that's what makes me stay and watch (:

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pusheen For This Useful Post:

Ms M. (09-03-2016),Munna (08-28-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    178/0
    Mentioned
    744 times
    Time Online
    335d 1h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 2m
    1.- My YouTube history is telling me mostly anime, tech & playthrough videos, LOL.
    2.-
    • The Anime Man/Lost Pause (idk, I like their "style" if that makes sense?)
    • MKBHD it's cool to see how much he (and/or his channel) has grown over the years and also 'cause he's probably one of the few honest tech reviewers on YT.
    • & SplitPlaythru I've been subscribed to him since I watched his Fatal Frame playthrough. No overly annoying commentary/voice over and doesn't waste the viewer's time (he trims/edits his videos so there aren't long pauses)

3.- I don't watch videos I know I won't like/enjoy (?) I use YouTube Center so clickbait thumbnails aren't a problem... And not exactly videos but I'd unsubscribe without a second thought if anyone does something like the FineBros did (just an example, LMAO)
    4.- Whatever category you decide to go for (gaming, anime, etc) be careful with the bs strikes, Fair Use doesn't really exist on YT. Gaming seems to be the most popular though. If you can combine two or more categories you'd please a wider audience (But that's obvious e_e). Good audio + video quality is always a +1 in my book (:

(you need an account to see links)

"Date et dabitur vobis"
    「Let's fight 恐れはない」

"A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of f��ks I do not give"

「君が望むモノは何?」

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Accelerator For This Useful Post:

Munna (08-28-2016)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    209 times
    Time Online
    30d 20h 25m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    Thank you both for the feedback, I really appreciate it! I definitely am being very proactive with video/audio quality since those are easy things to control.

Otherwise I'll definitely take your comments into consideration! It's always interesting to see who people watch on Youtube compared to who I watch lol

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    1) I watch TV shows if I can find them, specifically crime related. Law & Order, 60 Minutes, Dateline, 48 Hours Mystery. I also watch a lot of cooking clips. Not channels in particular but if I am looking for how to debone a fish or how to prepare a certain veggie I will go to youtube for ideas. Also animals. I find myself meaning to watch 48 Hours then I end up watching clips of funny puppies or goofy kitties lol.

2) Fail Army, Dudesons channel &vlog channel, sometimes I watch MFpallytime for game stuff.

3) Click bait, anything that involves stupid shitty music in the background...like if I'm watching a funny puppy video and all of a sudden it has circus music in the background to make it "funny" I will close the window. I will also close the link if there is a long introduction, usually it involves someone who thinks they are being funny or unique or ironic by doing it but it's nothing but annoying so I close the window. If ads that are added are long. Sometimes you luck out with a 10 second ad but most are 15 seconds. If it is longer than 30 seconds I will copy the link and repaste in a new tab to redo the ad. I hate ads.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sci_Girl For This Useful Post:

Munna (08-28-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 times
    Time Online
    8d 19h 39m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    1) Offensive/offbeat comedy and commentary channels mainly. YouTube has replaced TV for me at this point so I have an interest in content that wouldn't be broadcast on traditional media.

2)
    - Philip DeFranco; I love his down to earth style and the variety of subjects he touches on, I don't think any video of his has ever bored me. His community is full of great discussions too.
    - JacksFilms/LeafyIsHere/HeyWatchYourMouth/Onision/GradeAUnderA/H3H3productions; generally match my sense of humour, and tend to mix up their content every so often and/or cover various topics.
    - Anon/Derek Gerard; quite similar in style, these two are goofy comedy, interactive with their fans and generally lovely guys you find yourself rooting for.
    - Theodd1soutcomic; another likeable and funny creator, I guess his tales of social awkwardness and whatnot resound with me.
    - Colinfurze; makes crazy inventions that any geek will adore.

3) Disliking their voice, a person being boring af/having a terrible personality/being unfunny, ripping off another channel without adding anything original, terrible sound quality, blatant misinformation or poor research on more serious topics.

4) Things common to almost every channel I sub to: engaging (lovely/cunty) personality at the helm, varied content/topics, the ones I love most have some level of interaction with viewers.

My advice would be to keep building and learning, don't be afraid to change your content if it's not working for you- get involved with the community, your fanbase, and other creators if you can. If you're looking to make this into a career then don't sign with a network too soon and seek serious advice when doing so. Hope the shit that's going down atm isn't affecting your (future) channel too much.
    Last edited by FWD; 09-02-2016 at 04:45 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to FWD For This Useful Post:

Munna (09-15-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    41 times
    Time Online
    16d 12h 29m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    I'm quite mainstream tbh, and I watch a lot of female YouTubers that I have very little in common with. I keep up with JennaMarbles, Graveyardgirl, Tana Mongeau & people like that. Stuff that's kinda real but funny too.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Howl For This Useful Post:

Munna (09-15-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    25/0
    Mentioned
    6 times
    Time Online
    1d 23h 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m