Thread: [+rep] [+ neopoints] [pls] help me get my neck un-stiff!!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    18/0
    Mentioned
    86 times
    Time Online
    53d 14h 20m
    Avg. Time Online
    21m

[+rep] [+ neopoints] [pls] help me get my neck un-stiff!!

Here's the deal:

This morning I woke up with RIDICULOUS pain in my neck every time I turned my head. I mean I box and I've been hit in the ear, worst pain I've ever felt. This was worse. I can't turn my head right.

Granted, I know I'm kinda being a baby but I've never had a stiff neck so this pain is utterly foreign to me.

How do you get rid of it? If someone gives me a tip and helps me stop feeling like I'm a straightened out slinky in front of a staircase, I'll +rep or I can give you some neopoints.

Pls
    Be sure you put your feet in the right place, then stand firm.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    Go to the pharmacy and buy a gel ice pack and a rice bag. Sounds a bit funny but these rice bags you can either put in the freezer or heat up in the microwave. It molds perfectly around your body part of pain like a frozen bag of peas. Use the ice pack (wrapped in a towel if too cold) while the rice bag in the freezer. Actually if you have neither a bag of frozen peas or ice will be fine too.

You will need muscle relaxants too. Ask the pharmacist which they recommend for your particular pain since there are many types. Careful they can make you dizzy. Also, Advil (Ibuprofen) every 4 hours or according to your package depending on dose.

The pain will not be gone quick if you pulled it really good.

I take shots of whisky too. Numbs you up.

To add. Do not keep an ice/cool pack on for long periods of time, maybe 20 minutes intervals or so for the first 24 hours. It will help reduce inflammation. After that you can ease into heat packs if you want.
    Last edited by Sci_Girl; 08-08-2016 at 10:53 PM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    18/0
    Mentioned
    86 times
    Time Online
    53d 14h 20m
    Avg. Time Online
    21m
    Quote Originally Posted by Sci_Girl View Post
    Go to the pharmacy and buy a gel ice pack and a rice bag. Sounds a bit funny but these rice bags you can either put in the freezer or heat up in the microwave. It molds perfectly around your body part of pain like a frozen bag of peas. Use the ice pack (wrapped in a towel if too cold) while the rice bag in the freezer. Actually if you have neither a bag of frozen peas or ice will be fine too.

You will need muscle relaxants too. Ask the pharmacist which they recommend for your particular pain since there are many types. Careful they can make you dizzy. Also, Advil (Ibuprofen) every 4 hours or according to your package depending on dose.

The pain will not be gone quick if you pulled it really good.

I take shots of whisky too. Numbs you up.

To add. Do not keep an ice/cool pack on for long periods of time, maybe 20 minutes intervals or so for the first 24 hours. It will help reduce inflammation. After that you can ease into heat packs if you want.
    What position do I lay in? I have my head propped up and it doesn't hurt, but is it possible this will make it worse?
    Be sure you put your feet in the right place, then stand firm.

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,155 times
    Time Online
    550d 23h 42m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 26m
    I'm a bigger fan of heat in these situations. Hot towels, hot gel things, et cetera. Try seeing if you can find a hot spot where massing it relieves pain at all. If you have a chiropractor near you who isn't a weirdo scam or super pricey, that could be worth it.

thanks stardust for base Thanks Sugarbee Thanks Wooloo
    Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    What position do I lay in? I have my head propped up and it doesn't hurt, but is it possible this will make it worse?
    Propped up is fine. If you feel the muscles are still swollen or inflammed then you can keep icing it periodically. Once that initial 24-48ish hours passes you can focus on heat, remember not to fall asleep with any heat pads or bottles against you. When I have had badly pulled muscles I would take a Robax, soak in Epsom salt baths or have hot showers, not crazy hot, to help ease the muscles. Along with gentle massage. If you have health benefits at work that cover massage therapy or even a chiro you can book if it is still very bothersome in a couple days. Might as well put those benefits to use.

If you do not feel it is getting better or that pain just does not feel right, like getting worse, you should go to the Doctor and have them check it out and possibly get some scans done.