172/0
    Mentioned
    657 times
    Time Online
    182d 5h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 15m
    Quote Originally Posted by I_royalty_I View Post
    I happened to be near one of them, but it didn't seem to do anything. What are you supposed to do when you're near one, or is it just done automatically?
    You spin the circle to get the items. Also gives 50xp, which really adds up.

I think gym exp is currently insufficient. You get pretty much the same from catching a pidgey as you do from battling something that could be 800 CP. If they change the exp rates, it'll encourage more gym activity. At the moment, I only do it to get my daily free Pokecoins.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mama Bear For This Useful Post:

70spurple (07-11-2016),I_royalty_I (07-11-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    29/0
    Mentioned
    39 times
    Time Online
    15d 1h 20m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    It's better to wait I guess, but if you keep waiting for stronger pokemon you'll never get to use it xD It depends on how you want to play I guess, both ways work!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Irohh For This Useful Post:

70spurple (07-12-2016),Urbex (07-12-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    18/0
    Mentioned
    8 times
    Time Online
    7d 22h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    Quote Originally Posted by bacchus View Post
    You spin the circle to get the items. Also gives 50xp, which really adds up.
    Can confirm. My apartment happens to be right next to a pokestop so basically my bag is always full, plus I'm getting like 2000+ exp just by keeping my phone charging when and spinning the pokestop whenever i remember/have time to do it.

I think gym exp is currently insufficient. You get pretty much the same from catching a pidgey as you do from battling something that could be 800 CP. If they change the exp rates, it'll encourage more gym activity. At the moment, I only do it to get my daily free Pokecoins.
    Also accurate. The time spent battling the gym, which in my case includes competing w/ several other people at literally every gym almost 24/7, can also be spent walking around catching more pokemon, getting more exp, going to pokestops etc. So unless you're there just to have fun or socialize or whatever (fuck that lol), a small amount of coins and 500 stardust is just simply not worth the time and effort. Capturing a gym is a lost cause, unless you have 2+ people with you to actually sit down for an hour and prestige the gym to like, prestige 8+ or something like that. The highest prestige i've seen is 7/8 and they've all been taken down within 24 hours.

i got 30,000+ stardust, level 14 and no regrets about skipping gyms so far. I did manage to snipe a spot in a prestige 6 gym of my color (Red) as i jogged by it while i was exercising. Saw 4 or 5 people standing next to it so i probably fucked somebody who just prestiged. no regrets

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cost For This Useful Post:

70spurple (07-12-2016)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    127/0
    Mentioned
    575 times
    Time Online
    62d 4h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    21m
    Quote Originally Posted by cost View Post
    Can confirm. My apartment happens to be right next to a pokestop so basically my bag is always full, plus I'm getting like 2000+ exp just by keeping my phone charging when and spinning the pokestop whenever i remember/have time to do it.

Also accurate. The time spent battling the gym, which in my case includes competing w/ several other people at literally every gym almost 24/7, can also be spent walking around catching more pokemon, getting more exp, going to pokestops etc. So unless you're there just to have fun or socialize or whatever (fuck that lol), a small amount of coins and 500 stardust is just simply not worth the time and effort. Capturing a gym is a lost cause, unless you have 2+ people with you to actually sit down for an hour and prestige the gym to like, prestige 8+ or something like that. The highest prestige i've seen is 7/8 and they've all been taken down within 24 hours.

i got 30,000+ stardust, level 14 and no regrets about skipping gyms so far. I did manage to snipe a spot in a prestige 6 gym of my color (Red) as i jogged by it while i was exercising. Saw 4 or 5 people standing next to it so i probably fucked somebody who just prestiged. no regrets
    I got 2 pokestops outside my place so i can site in my room and reap all the items XD

i also put lure mods on them sometimes when i'm lazing and i get people sitting outside in there cars from near by hahaha

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Naked Gamer For This Useful Post:

70spurple (07-12-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    29/0
    Mentioned
    101 times
    Time Online
    28d 2h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    13m
    Quote Originally Posted by vandagyre View Post
    It's better to wait I guess, but if you keep waiting for stronger pokemon you'll never get to use it xD It depends on how you want to play I guess, both ways work!
    Thats my line of thinking too. You'll never use it if you just keep waiting to be a higher level because there's always a level higher than the one you're at. You're missing half the features of the game if you're eternally waiting to be a higher level
    PM me to see what I have up for sale! Always selling UCs/NP/Accounts!
    Offering free PIN cracks to Clraik rank (and higher!), just shoot me a PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Urbex For This Useful Post:

70spurple (07-12-2016)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    127/0
    Mentioned
    575 times
    Time Online
    62d 4h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    21m
    Quote Originally Posted by Urbex View Post
    Thats my line of thinking too. You'll never use it if you just keep waiting to be a higher level because there's always a level higher than the one you're at. You're missing half the features of the game if you're eternally waiting to be a higher level
    just take on a gym with 4-5 friends XD why wait.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Naked Gamer For This Useful Post:

70spurple (07-12-2016)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    172/0
    Mentioned
    657 times
    Time Online
    182d 5h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 15m
    Quote Originally Posted by scarmans View Post
    just take on a gym with 4-5 friends XD why wait.
    Not everyone has this option. In my town, the PoGo player-base is almost completely current/former students. Even though I'm on maternity leave, I'm still bound by the ethics of teaching.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mama Bear For This Useful Post:

70spurple (07-12-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    18/0
    Mentioned
    8 times
    Time Online
    7d 22h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    Not everyone has this option. In my town, the PoGo player-base is almost completely current/former students. Even though I'm on maternity leave, I'm still bound by the ethics of teaching.
    Not true at all, in my opinion. I assume you are talking about how picking a team (red, blue or yellow) would be unfair? I am fairly certain that no one would care. It's all good fun. The kids on other teams would enjoy competing with you

16. The Following User Says Thank You to cost For This Useful Post:

70spurple (07-12-2016)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    172/0
    Mentioned
    657 times
    Time Online
    182d 5h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 15m
    Quote Originally Posted by cost View Post
    Not true at all, in my opinion. I assume you are talking about how picking a team (red, blue or yellow) would be unfair? I am fairly certain that no one would care. It's all good fun. The kids on other teams would enjoy competing with you
    Taking on a gym with 4-5 friends isn't an option (which is what I was responding to) as the code of ethics is very clear about social/personal interactions with students. Yes, they would care. Teachers in my town have had ethics investigations opened because they walked home (didn't have a license, so was literally their only way of getting to and from work) and would talk to students who walked the same way home.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Mama Bear For This Useful Post:

70spurple (07-12-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    18/0
    Mentioned
    8 times
    Time Online
    7d 22h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    Taking on a gym with 4-5 friends isn't an option (which is what I was responding to) as the code of ethics is very clear about social/personal interactions with students. Yes, they would care. Teachers in my town have had ethics investigations opened because they walked home (didn't have a license, so was literally their only way of getting to and from work) and would talk to students who walked the same way home.
    I suppose I haven't read the code of ethics, but regardless, I think starting a Pokemon Go club after school, maybe a study hall + play Pokemon Go type of club, would be a lot of fun for the students. You would also be playing, but the kids would all be playing with each other. It's not like you're forming any inappropriate personal relationships with anybody.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to cost For This Useful Post:

70spurple (07-12-2016)