172/0
    Mentioned
    657 times
    Time Online
    182d 5h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 15m

What makes your job worthwhile?

I'm expecting a plethora of "the money" answers here, but I'm interested to hear what people do and (more importantly) why they do it. What makes you passionate about your job? If you're still studying at university or high school, what do you want to be doing as an adult, and what makes that your desired outcome?

Most of you know that I'm a teacher. Right now I'm sitting in my year 12 English class, watching as they read George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four. Last period I had year 7 English, and struggled to conceal my incredulity that they didn't know how to send an email or save a word document. There are definitely those days that do your head in, but I wouldn't swap it for another vocation. There are always those moments that make it worthwhile. Sometimes they're big, like being the one adult that a teen in crisis turns to for help. Sometimes they're small, like watching the eyes of a kid light up when a concept or skill actually clicks at last. It would be great to have a class full of motivated, eager sponges for knowledge, but that's unrealistic. For now, I have to make do with knowing that at least they're leaving my care with greater skills and wider cultural appreciation than they arrived with. If I can accomplish that in them, then my job is worthwhile.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mama Bear For This Useful Post:

Aska (02-03-2016),Cath (02-03-2016),Ghosts (02-03-2016),I Love You (02-05-2016),potatoespotate (02-04-2016),Raj (02-05-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    27/0
    Mentioned
    1,191 times
    Time Online
    162d 23h 43m
    Avg. Time Online
    57m
    I don't have any part-time job at the moment, but this very question is what made me most hesitant about my future career. I wanted to study into something I'm passionate about and feel needed in what I'm doing. After trying so many fields of study, I decided to get into nursing school for the sole purpose of bringing a change into people's life. I want to make a difference and feel like I'm needed. I think everybody should have a job which bring them satisfaction when they get home after a long day. Too many people don't like what they are doing and it kinda makes me sad for them. I can't wait to be done with school and be a real nurse. I'm sure it will be worthwhile.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cath For This Useful Post:

Mama Bear (02-03-2016)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    172/0
    Mentioned
    657 times
    Time Online
    182d 5h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 15m
    Quote Originally Posted by Cath View Post
    I don't have any part-time job at the moment, but this very question is what made me most hesitant about my future career. I wanted to study into something I'm passionate about and feel needed in what I'm doing. After trying so many fields of study, I decided to get into nursing school for the sole purpose of bringing a change into people's life. I want to make a difference and feel like I'm needed. I think everybody should have a job which bring them satisfaction when they get home after a long day. Too many people don't like what they are doing and it kinda makes me sad for them. I can't wait to be done with school and be a real nurse. I'm sure it will be worthwhile.
    I completely agree Cath. One of my uni subjects had a reading that was all about how resenting your job is one of life's greatest tragedies. While that may be a little melodramatic, given the problems in the world, it resonated with me. I think it's great that you took your time and experimented before deciding on what was the right fit for you. Given your empathetic nature, I'm sure you're going to make a great nurse.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mama Bear For This Useful Post:

Cath (02-03-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    27/0
    Mentioned
    1,191 times
    Time Online
    162d 23h 43m
    Avg. Time Online
    57m
    Quote Originally Posted by bacchus View Post
    I completely agree Cath. One of my uni subjects had a reading that was all about how resenting your job is one of life's greatest tragedies. While that may be a little melodramatic, given the problems in the world, it resonated with me. I think it's great that you took your time and experimented before deciding on what was the right fit for you. Given your empathetic nature, I'm sure you're going to make a great nurse.
    Thank you for your kind words, this truly means a lot! I liked reading your first post because what you described is exactly the reason why I considered becoming a teacher. I love how a teacher has the job to educate students but at the same time, be there for them. However, I just don't think I had the patience of explaining things over and over again needed for this kind of job.

I see a lot of people around me coming back home hating about their jobs. They have been doing it for like 20+ years but it feels like it's too late for them to just do something else all over again. I promised myself I wouldn't get depressed because of my job and this is why I'll be 21 years old and just starting a school program for the first time.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cath For This Useful Post:

potatoespotate (02-04-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    81/3
    Mentioned
    451 times
    Time Online
    187d 16h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 8m
    I'm a student still, but I have a pretty solid income from Neopets.

I used to be a huge neo fan/player, especially when it came to the reselling aspect of it. Now I basically get to do the same thing, but I'm making real money instead of neopoints haha. Plus, the fact that I can work whenever and wherever I want is a huge bonus for me. I never have to cancel on anything with friends because I got scheduled for a shift at work, and I'm able to take time off whenever I want without having to give advanced notice (well, most of the time anyways). Pretty sweet gig imo

Also, it's given me an opportunity to learn a lot about computers and programming, which convinced me to study computer science in university.

Selling everything - PM me what you're looking for!

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ghosts For This Useful Post:

Goten (02-05-2016),Mama Bear (02-03-2016),potatoespotate (02-04-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    81/0
    Mentioned
    191 times
    Time Online
    45d 20h 47m
    Avg. Time Online
    17m
    Well next week I am training to be a CSR for my company. I work for an app that gives money back on items you buy.

Honestly, I am not passionate about it. I like it because I work from home and that allows me to be with my dogs, which are my happiness. I don't have to physically deal with people or commute which are two of my biggest stresses in life. I live out in the boonies so I always have to drive at least 25 miles to get anywhere so I hate driving lol. I guess it's the perks that keep my job worthwhile, not the job itself. I am a huge misanthrope so dealing with people, even through E-mail, is difficult for me. It literally just drains me of energy.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Aska For This Useful Post:

Mama Bear (02-04-2016)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    208 times
    Time Online
    98d 13h 33m
    Avg. Time Online
    38m
    the ability to put on a canvas what some people arent able to and have them feel joy at their image coming to life is nice. knowing i can deliver something in a way people might not be able to, or are able to but want to see imagined differently. being told how to make it more to what they imagine while still keeping it something ive created from my own mind for them so i can cater it to them perfectly but also still express myself to them... reminds me of how complicated and different people are and how they could have went to anyone else but wanted to see how i got it done specifically knowing i had my own ideas. just knowing someone relies on you to bring even the smallest idea to life. its pretty neat.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mindfang For This Useful Post:

Mama Bear (02-04-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    15h 13m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Still in University, don't really have a plan for what I'm doing in the future though.
    Getting a degree for Finance, so probably working in a bank, but not sure what i'll be doing.
    LOL

16. The Following User Says Thank You to testing321123 For This Useful Post:

70spurple (02-04-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    187 times
    Time Online
    28d 11h 14m
    Avg. Time Online
    12m
    My job's not worthwhile at all imo... I want to quit but I'm bonded for a little over a year more (me and another food tech colleage were dumb gullible fresh grads and didn't know what we were getting into at the point of signing that agreement, I'll never make that mistake again!). BLEH! That said, I don't hate my field of work per say, I just despise the work environment I'm stuck in, I just feel like this job is butchering my work ethics b/c my coworkers are... eh. I used to work a lot harder, couple months in I'm like why bother? if those shits don't have to do much shit, why should I work so hard? we get paid the same amount!

---------- Post added at 01:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 AM ----------

@Cath, I think you'd make a great nurse! bacchus is right, you're such a sweet and empathetic person, I think a job where you help others suits you very well!
    @(you need an account to see links) I'm so glad that you're so dedicated to your job and find it worthwhile. I was quite the troubled kid in most of primary school (well I was awkward all my school years, but I did dumb things like steal and other stuff that got me into trouble back in 3rd-6th grade), but I had one teacher who stood out and actually went out of her way to guide me and I'm forever grateful to her for that. I wished I hadn't lost contact with her though, I'd love to reconnect with her to let her know how immensely grateful I am for all that she's done for me.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    172/0
    Mentioned
    657 times
    Time Online
    182d 5h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 15m
    Quote Originally Posted by potatoespotate View Post
    I was quite the troubled kid in most of primary school (well I was awkward all my school years, but I did dumb things like steal and other stuff that got me into trouble back in 3rd-6th grade), but I had one teacher who stood out and actually went out of her way to guide me and I'm forever grateful to her for that. I wished I hadn't lost contact with her though, I'd love to reconnect with her to let her know how immensely grateful I am for all that she's done for me.
    If you're serious about that, try getting in contact with you old school. Back in 2007, I wanted to get in touch with my first grade teacher, as she was the one who first recognised my flair for writing (I'd written a story about going fishing and the fish suffocating on the dock next to me. She thought I was disturbed, yes, but also talented). I contacted the school, who printed my email out and snail-mailed it to her, since she wasn't online at all. She not only remembered me, but accepted the invitation I sent her, flying interstate to see me again, after more than 10 years. Sap that I am, I cried when I saw her. To leave a permanent mark on someone in the best possible way is an amazing gift. I aspire to be that for someone. I don't doubt that your special teacher would be filled with absolute warmth to know that you feel that way about her; I urge you to try going though the school, to make it happen.

@(you need an account to see links) - what makes you want to follow finance/banking?
    @(you need an account to see links) - that's a beautiful sentiment. It's great how your passion comes through your words.
    @(you need an account to see links) - I can understand both geography and social stressors being important considerations. Getting to spend time with your dogs is a good reason in my books!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Mama Bear For This Useful Post:

potatoespotate (02-04-2016)