Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [GUIDE] How to write a compelling resume!

Pronoun(s)
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Time Online
    3 h 4 m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    @[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] you're a life saver
    question: what's your opinion on adding a portrait photo? Not like an Instagram selfie but a decent portrait, smiling, looking inviting.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 421 Posts
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Time Online
    122 d 23 h 32 m
    Avg. Time Online
    1 h 6 m
    Quote Originally Posted by pentakost View Post
    question: what's your opinion on adding a portrait photo? Not like an Instagram selfie but a decent portrait, smiling, looking inviting.
    Sorry I have not been on here for quite some time - short answer is no don't do that.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] | [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] | [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Made by the wonderful Umbreon!

Pronoun(s)
    she/her/hers
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,249 Times in 659 Posts
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Time Online
    38 d 15 h 43 m
    Avg. Time Online
    23 m
    Unless you are applying for a job where appearance matters (aka any kind of acting/modelling etc), no. Never upload a photo on a resume.

dedicated ryugotchi babysitter

Thank you [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] for the userbars and custom Ryu sprite!

Userbars
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Time Online
    7 d 8 h 36 m
    Avg. Time Online
    5 m
    Quote Originally Posted by pentakost View Post
    Unless it is a job that actually requires you to be seen. Like mentioned, a model or acting. NEVER include pictures of yourself. If any job that doesn't explicitly have to pick based on looks asks for photos then they are trying to be discriminatory. And that is treading closely on active discrimination to filter out potential candiates. Are they hiring you (or not) based on your skillset or because of how you look?

For example, once upon a time I worked for a chain petstore. During the interview they said I had to take my earrings out to be considered, because that wasn't the look they wanted to present. My earrings were a simple clip loop (because I don't like dangly earrings and a single seed-pearl stud in one ear). It was the stud they wanted gone because to them that was "too much".
    Spoiler:
    [Background, this chain originated in Arizona, which is pure-on Mormon town, they have particular religious ideas about excessive jewelry, or tattoos, or hairstyles. So even though where my location was, was very, very far from both a 90% Mormon population and also this was 2010+ so really. They were still dragging along the Mormon-look, hair had to be only braided, single braid, no non-natural hair colors for women, or haircuts that didn't fully cover ears for men. So what did I do? I absolutely took the stud out, got my job. And put the bastard back in as soon as probation was over and they needed actual reasons to fire anyone. Let me have to roll up to unemployment and tell them they fired me over a tiny 5mm stud... lol.

They decided to stop being so assholish about this around 2015 finally and join modern society where people have tattoos and dye their hair.

If they had been reviewing resumes with pictures, trust me, they would have been weeding people out for their look left and right.

Pronoun(s)
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,885 Times in 330 Posts
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Time Online
    26 d 19 h 43 m
    Avg. Time Online
    58 m
    Yeah I was FOH hiring manager for a restaurant for a while & would semi-consistently get resumes with photos (maybe 10% of them..?) and it was always an instant "this person is for sure an actor" lol. I'd just kind of ignore it and look at the rest of the resume - it wasn't a dealbreaker because sure aspiring actors can be good servers, and sure one could argue that appearance matters for service, but there was definitely an element of being taken aback by it / kind of feeling like they were trying to use their appearance to get the job? Like gut response "do you think this is Moxie's"

In any more businessy industry I'd definitely be much more taken aback by it - headshots are only for when your appearance is actually relevant to the job