Thread: Soccer(futball) accuracy/finishing training?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    16/0
    Mentioned
    24 times
    Time Online
    2d 20h 48m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m

Soccer(futball) accuracy/finishing training?

Whattup

So, dood, im huge into Feefah and I wanna be better den dat biatch messi in like a week or two, like mad foot skillz and dribble moves wit crazy ass bike kicks an' shiiiiiiiit.

Jokes.

But for serious, me and my friends have been playing soccer a lot more recently, just casual bro stuff, might do intermural at my university next year instead of sitting on my ass again. I'd say I'm pretty good defender and have decent dribbling/ball control, but when it comes to shooting and finishing I'm just garbage. I usually just set someone else up or slide around for the ball rather than going for goal myself, hell, even on rebounds I'm a goof.

Anyone have good tips for practicing shooting/finishing both dominant and weak foot? Without a net situations preferably, but it's not tough to drive to a field and mess around. Also, if anyone can help me with a little extra advice, I don't have proper boots and I'm not about to go out and spend the money to get a good pair seeing as I play just casually, somewhat infrequently, so which shoe would be best to play with: basketball (nike air) or running (zigtech)?

Thanks!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    78/0
    Mentioned
    43 times
    Time Online
    16d 8h 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    I'm gonna try and not sound like I know it all or my ways are the perfect ways because they're not, and I'm no expert, however I've played competitive football since I was like 5 (21 now) and I've always been complimented on my finishing/technique lol.

For power, you want to make sure you connect with the laces. Like, the whole front of your foot should hit the ball and this should give you the power you need.
    For curve/finesse (this is my way, it'll be different for different people) but I managed to use the ball-like thing underneath my instep to be able to curve the ball well, but occasionally I'd hit it with like the arch of my foot which is a bit worse.

For training/practicing, my advice would be to put the ball at different distances and just trying whatever feels comfortable. Keep your head down and don't lean back otherwise you'll sky the ball and it looks awful. As you're approaching the ball, try to get your weak foot level with the side of the ball, so like if you're right-footed, try and get your left foot level with the ball so you're not trying too hard to reach and connect well. Body shape can also be a factor - if you're trying to finesse it into the other corner, you'll have to open your body up otherwise you won't be able to get the right angle for it, but this all comes with practice. Get a friend to practice just running and opening your body up to pass it to the bottom corner and switch after like 10 goals or something?

As for your weak foot, it's mainly the same but I'd practice like passing against a wall or something to better your control first, then you can try like shooting as you do with your strong foot. The techniques are the same, except so much fucking harder. I have a great right foot (not being big-headed.. much haha) but my left foot is horrible except when volleying.

Boots - to be honest, the expensive boots are just a marketing tool. Your favourite players wear them, so you should go and spend like �100 on them even though they're barely different to the �20 ones. It's best for comfort - if you're quick, you'll want light boots (Nike Vapours are a decent example) but it's more about what you like the feel of. You can get nice ones for like �25 which I'm guessing is like $30-something so they're not too bad. If you're just gonna be playing in trainers, anything light with relatively good grip should be okay, so most sports shoes would be okay whereas Vans/Converse suck ass (I know from experience!)

Hopefully that helps a bit. Watch some YT tutorials as they can explain better, and there's some very good ones on there. Check out the 'knuckleball' free-kick if you really wanna look boss when you shoot. Gareth Bale/Ronaldo do it frequently from free-kicks, and done well it's lethal.

EDIT: I forgot to add, for finesse/placing the shots, you'll wanna work on your passing too. That's basically how you train for finesse - if you can pass accurately, you can score finesse goals. The more you practice, the more you'll find the angles that work and it'll come naturally, trust me. I'm a chubster but I was a centre-midfielder who was on free-kick, corner and penalty duty because I can shoot/cross the ball well. Also, when you're shooting, pick one spot to aim for i.e. top right corner. If you can get like 3 or 4 people together, you could get one person to pass the ball in front of you, one person as a defender and the goalkeeper. It'd be a bit boring but you'll work on your passing, movement, dribbling/ball control and finishing all in one exercise.
    Last edited by Spurs; 07-15-2013 at 04:13 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Spurs For This Useful Post:

Skol (07-16-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    16/0
    Mentioned
    24 times
    Time Online
    2d 20h 48m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Sorry, as a Gunners fan I legally cannot take advice from someone who roots Tottenham...

Lol but really, thanks for the advice! All of that is great stuff. I'll have to stop by the outlet and see if I can pick up a pair of decent kicks for a reasonable price. I'll probably practice in the meantime with my Zigs, but might be good to have some real boots if they're priced fairly. I'll probably post here if I have any other questions/status updates. Otherwise, I'm down to chat soccer.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    57/0
    Mentioned
    146 times
    Time Online
    49d 9h 57m
    Avg. Time Online
    17m
    Before you shoot, you must know where you want the ball to go, so look at the goal and focus there. Put your left foot on the side of the ball. Where your left foot is pointed at indicates the direction you want the ball to go. Then, lift your arms to have balance. To shoot the ball is the hardest part. If you want the ball to bend, shoot on the side of the ball, it will male a curve. Don't use too much strength and use the inside part of your foot to create a spin on the ball. If you want speed, shoot the ball with strength on the center.

Trust me, I'm brazilian.
    Also, watch professional players and pay attention on how they
    Last edited by Attack; 07-16-2013 at 08:47 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Attack For This Useful Post:

Skol (07-16-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    16/0
    Mentioned
    24 times
    Time Online
    2d 20h 48m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Cheers, I'll try it out. Thanks Attack.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    28/0
    Mentioned
    40 times
    Time Online
    13d 7h 24m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    Sidefoot for accuracy.
    Use your laces for power.

Shots with laces takes a lot of practice though.

In short, practice makes perfect.

I play a lot of street. I know of a guy who has the most deadly explosive shot. It just takes him a second to turn/ shift and shoot the ball. But he does it with so much power/ accuracy. Its pretty sick!

In most cases though, you should strike the middle/ upper part of the ball.
    Striking the lower part of the ball would should be reserved for crosses/ clearances etc.

Also, prior to shooting, you should take at least one look at your target. That way, you increase the likelihood of getting in an accurate shot.

Good luck!