Ben's Guide to Getting A's

Ben's Guide To Getting A's

Table of Contents:
    1. Hints on how to study correctly.
    2. Note taking
    3. Lectures
    4. Study Groups
    5. Putting it all together!

Please note, this is my way that I use to get A's on tests, papers, and more. If you have a way of getting A's yourself, then don't bother reading this guide.

1. HINTS
    #1: Log Off Facebook & ANY other websites. (That means Neopets )

#2: Unless you are using google or other "scholarly" websites, Do this: CTRL + W or CTRL + Q. (Try this) -EDIT: Might work, might not.

#3: Turn OFF any MUSIC, TV, FRIENDS, BABIES, ETC. So you arn't distracted by ANYONE. Find a nice quiet environment. -PERSONAL PREFERENCE!

#4: Sit in an actual chair. Don't sit on your bed or the couch. You are bound to fall asleep. Posture will keep you awake.

#5: Tell yourself a goal. Whether thats:
    a) Reading xx pages of a novel/textbook.
    b) Doing xx problems for a math/physics/chemistry class.
    c) Writing xx pages of a paper.
    d) Other (whatever you're doing)

#6: After you make your goal....as long as it's not less than 5, treat yourself! Take a break. You don't want to go insane doing homework. However, you want to retain the information you just learned/did. So BE SURE TO REVIEW AFTERWARDS.

2. Note Taking
    This section is seriously the most important out of the bunch. I will teach you how to take extremely good notes...that helps with test studying and retaining the information. Remember, you retain more information writing it down, then reading it.

#1: Formatted Paper: Some of you may have customized paper for taking notes. If you do, then great! If you don't, I'll get to that in a minute.

a) One of my favorites, and one of the more effective way is Cornell Note taking. See Format Below:

b) NOTE You do NOT have to do the summary part. EVER. It doesn't help me, probably doesn't help you, if you've read the chapter you should remember what it's about after taking all the notes.

c) Effective Method: When putting stuff in the "keywords" section, be sure to put BOLDED or ITALICIZED words into the box, and be sure to write down the definition.

d) Effective Method 2: Be sure to jot down important facts and use these 6 concepts: Who? What? When? Where? Why? How?
    -If you're doing a novel/textbook, jot down the page number for easy accessibility.
    -Use Abbreviations to write faster.

Example:

This method seriously helped me pass my biology course. It may work, it may not work. But it's better off than failing the class right?

#2) Loose Leaf Paper: Same way as Cornell, except you're using your classic notebook paper! Just format it like above, and you're all set! Save yourself room and don't put the summary section in.

#3) Note take like usual. (If you're already getting A's, you wouldn't be reading this. Note take like the way you're used to).

#4) Review your notes when you are done with class.

3. Lectures
    Ahhh...good ole' lectures. Some people hate them, some people love them. Some professors won't teach you shit. Some professors have valuable information in them for tests. With that being said, ask your professor on the first day if what they say in class is relevant to tests, or papers. (I had a biology class and the professor lectures on meaningless things, so I had to learn straight from the book using the Cornell method).

#1) TAKE NOTES. If you find a professor is hinting at things for the test, WRITE IT DOWN!

#2) BEFORE a lecture, READ THE CHAPTER if you can!

#3) Take notes in cornell format, if you can.

#4) Always write down key words or other things (especially if the professor is talking to fast/no ppt)

#5) If a professor has a powerpoint, BE SURE TO KNOW IF IT'S ONLINE OR NOT. If it isn't, then that really sucks and you have to write down everything. (but hey, you won't be so distracted on that computer )

#6) Use a recording device. (Be sure to ask the professor for permission as some may not allow it)

#7) Have a friend that has your back for notes when you're absent. (We all get sick, so be sure you have a backup for notes you may have missed)!

4. Study Groups
    This is a personal preference. If you learn solitary, then go ahead and do that. If you're a social learner, like me, then this benefits you.

#1) Find adequate study partners...(Don't go for the people that don't show up for class, not smart, etc).

#2) Meet in an environment where you're going to learn. Don't go to the cafeteria and expect to study. You'll run into distractions. (Ie. Library, Coffee shop, Dorm, etc)

#3) Set yourselves a restriction. (No socializing for xx minutes, etc) Sometimes these things just turn into social sessions, which you don't want to do.

#4) Enjoy easier learning!

5. PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER!
    So here's the scenario: It's a couple weeks before test day/finals day and because you took notes, you have your OWN study guide while everyone else is scrambling to make copies off someone else or you, but you refuse.

1) If you took perfect notes during the course of the semester, studying your notes should be relatively easy (unless you have shitty handwriting).
    -Everything will be in order. (By Chapter/pages/sections or whatever you labeled each page as)
    -Review your notes for the course of 7 days before your final. A little each day (NO CRAMMING HERE).
    -DO NOT WAIT TILL 12 HOURS BEFORE YOUR TEST/FINAL TO REVIEW.

2) Repeat Method 1 under "Hints".

3) Review any homework you may have gotten during the semester.

4) Follow up with friends or professors on things you do not understand.

5) Good Luck!

Disclaimer: I'm not responsible if you do not get an 'A' on your next test using this guide. You are using this for your own future and if you refuse to even try in college, then best of luck to you.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Ben For This Useful Post:

Allana (01-09-2012),Ashleys165 (12-23-2011),fieryblast (12-31-2011),Kad (12-23-2011),kidchaor (01-15-2012),Monark (01-24-2012),Reemer (12-24-2011),Shichibukai (12-23-2011),starflower (08-13-2013),Tinill (01-02-2012),Vanguard (12-24-2011)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    26/0
    Mentioned
    165 times
    Time Online
    12m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    With just respecting #1 it should work pretty well.

---------- Post added at 06:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:19 PM ----------

Btw, nice post!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Steve For This Useful Post:

Ben (12-22-2011)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    22/2
    Mentioned
    14 times
    Time Online
    52m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Nice guide. Pretty much just how I do things myself.
    But yeah... #1 is the most important one i think. Basically, DO THE WORK. If you do all the work your supposed to, then the quizzes/tests shouldn't be an issue.
    I'm a certified pothead, and if I can get a 3.750 GPA without studying, then i'm sure anyone can if they do study.

The only thing i disagree with is music. I need music. If its dead quiet i start to lose all focus and my mind wanders off on to some dumb shit.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/2
    Mentioned
    179 times
    Time Online
    1d 19h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I already do all this, but we have a dog. -_- Not too quiet either. Very good guide though, anyone who gives two shits about their grades should read this thoroughly.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    89/0
    Mentioned
    201 times
    Time Online
    7h 1m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Here's another tip. Go to Ratemyprofessors.com and see if they are a hard ass grader.

Sometimes you're just shit out of luck when you sign up for a class with a professor known for being harsh with the grade.

Research before hand. If you can get an easy Professor that will let you coast by with an B+ or A, that freaking wonderful.

But if you're stuck taking a required class with a professor that makes you work for it, take Ben's advice and study. Even then your efforts might amount to a B at best.

So use the website and use the guide!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Evelsaint For This Useful Post:

Ben (12-28-2011)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    113/0
    Mentioned
    57 times
    Time Online
    4d 10h 20m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Best guide and most useful guide on clraik.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Shichibukai For This Useful Post:

Ben (12-23-2011)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    37/0
    Mentioned
    24 times
    Time Online
    7d 4h 24m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Great Guide.

My lecturers are SHIT. I just straight up learned from the text book (I'm a Biology Major/Honours) which served me well for midterms but I had info OVERLOAD during my finals (Organic II & Biodiversity were rougghhh). I will seriosuly consider taking notes while reading from the textbooks. Thanks.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Vanguard For This Useful Post:

Ben (12-28-2011)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    32/0
    Mentioned
    16 times
    Time Online
    16h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Wish i read this when i was younger

Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    80 times
    Time Online
    14m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Evelsaint View Post
    Here's another tip. Go to Ratemyprofessors.com and see if they are a hard ass grader.

Sometimes you're just shit out of luck when you sign up for a class with a professor known for being harsh with the grade.

Research before hand. If you can get an easy Professor that will let you coast by with an B+ or A, that freaking wonderful.

But if you're stuck taking a required class with a professor that makes you work for it, take Ben's advice and study. Even then your efforts might amount to a B at best.

So use the website and use the guide!
    This is 100% true. I always use ratemyprofessor when I register for classes. It's the one thing that saves me when there is more than 1 of that class and I don't want the crappy professor! Good advice!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    4/0
    Mentioned
    8 times
    Time Online
    N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    haha nice guide. ive noticed that when i dont sit in a chair ill just fall asleep. dam posture