37/0
    Mentioned
    376 times
    Time Online
    58d 2h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    22m
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonMoon View Post
    @(you need an account to see links) it's not about believing something differently though. I don't think debating/discussing differing views is a bad thing. Sure their opinions might not change, but to spread/believe in misinformation is ridiculous and I think it's ok to point that out.
    I completely agree. I think friendly debate and accurate representation of facts are good ways to communicate an issue. Although, a lot of times, I see it descend into am altercation; and I'd hate to see that here so I was just pointing out that opinions don't usually change whether facts are presented or not. No biggie lol

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Misha For This Useful Post:

Colby (02-20-2015),Fleur (01-14-2015),Jessica (02-13-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    197 times
    Time Online
    37d 18h 3m
    Avg. Time Online
    13m
    It's not the people who don't get flu vaccines that bug me. I totally get not wanting to get one, be it that you just don't agree with them or maybe even have a bad reaction to the vaccine. My manager at work can't get the vaccine because something in it doesn't react right with her body and she basically gets the flu or worse if she gets the shot. There's definitely no way that I'm in danger of dying if I get a flu shot though. That's just ridiculous.

It's the vaccines that children get that concern me the most. The MMR vaccine (sooo important to get), meningitis, and quite a few others. I do not want to die of a disease that I could have prevented with a simple shot, nor would I want to subject my future children to that. I'm really concerned for any kids that I'll have in the future if there's a huge outbreak of PREVENTABLE diseases going around like measles and they are too young to vaccinate. I would like to not go back a few hundred years when children dying was a common thing because of these diseases.

Sorry if this sounds mean, but I get really heated when it comes to this stuff. Children have no say in what they can do for the most part. It's up to their parents to protect and educate them on this kind of thing. Don't be selfish and listen to the few crazies who think you can get autism from a vaccine.

Thanks Anne <3

S W E E T S

Thanks Minty and Fruity! <3

4. The Following User Says Thank You to baileaf For This Useful Post:

Jessica (02-13-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 times
    Time Online
    2d 5h 16m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Cath View Post
    "plus the other garbage that is in them is deadly"

is deadly? I wonder why we aren't extinct yet then.
    I would gladly like to know what source your deduction comes from lol.
    Canadian College of Natural Nutrition, Also you can look for peer reviewed journal articles. Most vaccines have mercury in them. You most likely aren't going to drop dead after getting one, but it does to harm to your immune system and cognitive functions. Many people have adverse reactions, i'm against pharmaceuticals as well. If you use Natural methods you can build your immune system to combat these flus etc.

The last time I got a vaccine was when H1N1 was out, and I nearly died. I missed 3 months of University, and laid on the floor for half of it too weak to move. So from studies and personal experience. I am not saying you have to agree with me, but many do more harm than help.

---------- Post added at 06:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:22 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by sweetlikesugar View Post
    It's not the people who don't get flu vaccines that bug me. I totally get not wanting to get one, be it that you just don't agree with them or maybe even have a bad reaction to the vaccine. My manager at work can't get the vaccine because something in it doesn't react right with her body and she basically gets the flu or worse if she gets the shot. There's definitely no way that I'm in danger of dying if I get a flu shot though. That's just ridiculous.

It's the vaccines that children get that concern me the most. The MMR vaccine (sooo important to get), meningitis, and quite a few others. I do not want to die of a disease that I could have prevented with a simple shot, nor would I want to subject my future children to that. I'm really concerned for any kids that I'll have in the future if there's a huge outbreak of PREVENTABLE diseases going around like measles and they are too young to vaccinate. I would like to not go back a few hundred years when children dying was a common thing because of these diseases.

Sorry if this sounds mean, but I get really heated when it comes to this stuff. Children have no say in what they can do for the most part. It's up to their parents to protect and educate them on this kind of thing. Don't be selfish and listen to the few crazies who think you can get autism from a vaccine.
    It's not crazy, people are affected by vaccines in different ways. I am by no means bashing those who want to use vaccines, but I don't believe in them. The children dying thing, well for one, people are way more hygienic when it comes to today. Also, food is stored in different means which also contributes to the lower rates of people getting sick. There's a balance between MD's and ND's and I personally have seen some horrible reactions to vaccines.

---------- Post added at 06:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:24 PM ----------

(you need an account to see links)

---------- Post added at 06:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:26 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by boomer View Post
    I spent my childhood in another country. They don't give you the choice to opt out there lol, you line the fuck up in school and they shoot you right up. I'll thank them for it now that I'm old enough to understand.

As for the "harmful chemicals" in those vaccines...ok there are mercury atoms in there. There's also probably more mercury in that tuna on your sushi last night than in all the vaccines you would get. Also, table salt is made with atoms that would spontaneously combust and choke you with toxic fumes. Chemistry!

I do understand some about the flu vaccine, it is bad when they guess wrong, and the flu does kill a lot of people each year regardless. Right now, I am afraid of needles and I don't get sick much.

Once I get older though and my immune system goes to shit you can bet your ass I will go protect myself
    Eating things that contain Mercury is completely different than having it injected.

---------- Post added at 06:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:28 PM ----------

But also, on that note... I would recommend older people get vaccines. Mainly because like you said, immune systems do get weaker. And at certain ages, you won't be around long enough to deal with side effects.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    11/0
    Mentioned
    60 times
    Time Online
    19d 16h 21m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    Eating things that contain Mercury is completely different than having it injected.

---------- Post added at 06:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:28 PM ----------

But also, on that note... I would recommend older people get vaccines. Mainly because like you said, immune systems do get weaker. And at certain ages, you won't be around long enough to deal with side effects.
    I know the mercury thing but that is the justification I hear from the anti-vaccine front, that mercury is bad regardless. Chemistryyyyyy!

When I'm 85 I will get all them vaccines, but if someone says I need a hip replacement I'll pass. Get me a wheelchair and a cute male nurse to wheel me around.
    Gotta be picky with what treatments you get when you're old!

The thing about immune systems though is that the very young are just as bad as the old but...and they can have their whole lives ahead of them. But the very young can't make their own decisions for things like this. It's up to the parents.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to boomer For This Useful Post:

Jessica (02-13-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    35 times
    Time Online
    39d 11h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    One of my teachers said the guy who made up that autism crap even admitted to his phony claims and is still giving out talks to schools about how it's all real.

I simply don't see why people wouldn't give their children vaccines. It's a whole lot better than actually ending up with measles or other sort of diseases.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    2h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    (you need an account to see links) Yes.

I think that the antivax movement has had such success in part because vaccines are too effective. We never see kids anymore who have to wear braces on their legs because polio deformed them, or people blinded and scarred by smallpox blisters. Vaccines successfully eradicated these diseases.

Not immunizing yourself or your kids doesn't just put you at risk, it also means that once you are infected you then spread the disease to people downstream who never would have got it if you didn't. This includes infants and elderly people, people with reduced immune systems, people who had the vaccine but it didn't take, people with allergies who couldn't get the vaccine. Herd immunity only works if most of the herd is vaccinated.

Of course there are risks. But the risk of adverse reactions like death from a vaccine are much lower than the risks of death from the diseases you are being vaccinated against. If vaccines were really as dangerous as some people claim, wouldn't we have seen the results in the decades worth of people who have had routine vaccinations? (you need an account to see links) on the dangers of vaccines.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    84/0
    Mentioned
    142 times
    Time Online
    11d 18h 27m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    I can't believe this is even an argument honestly. Vaccinations are so beneficial and such an amazing medical technology scientists have developed.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elf For This Useful Post:

Jessica (02-13-2015),spleef35 (02-20-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    4 times
    Time Online
    16h 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts View Post
    BEST REPLY EVER! Stop the presses. I was really hoping someone would pop up with the science early on, and you sir, are my favorite person right this minute.
    Vaccines don't cause autism. They don't know what does cause it, but they know a whole lot of things that don't, and vaccines are not it. Vaccines do, however, save a tons of lives. I use to be ok with people not getting them (natural selection, you have your targets) but then I learned about the risk to others. It's plain negligence. Disgusting, awful, ignorant, negligence.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    4/0
    Mentioned
    21 times
    Time Online
    3d 6h 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    It doesn't make a difference to me. I'm neither pro nor anti; reading some of the replies to this thread has seriously concerned me.

I'm 22 & I'm not immunized. In my opinion, it's up to parents to decide whether or not their kids will receive vaccines & I think it's incredibly rude for people to call them stupid or selfish for choosing not to. Cultural or religious perspectives & personal preferences don't make somebody stupid. It's arrogant & ignorant to say they are! No one should be made to feel bad for what they choose to do with their kids. Yeah, that's a "deadly" mentality to have, but that's the way life works. You like vaccines? Vaccinate your kids. You don't? Then be prepared for what could happen.

Because of my personal experiences, I'm 50/50 on the subject. Several of you mentioned how the flu shot is only something like 23% effective this year. A young boy where I live got his & the flu still nearly killed him. Someone I know is vaccinated & had shingles - 3 times. I've been asked by how & why I was even allowed to attend school, yet I've never had the chickenpox, the flu, whooping cough, or anything else most people are vaccinated for. I figure I'm no worse off than anyone else. There are people living in developed countries with vaccines who still die from diarrhea! Buuuut, if I were to get pregnant, I'd get vaccinated then to protect myself & more than likely vaccinate my kid.

My thoughts wrapped up: I accept & respect both sides. If you're vaccinated, don't depend on that alone & be aware that people without vaccines are not responsible for epidemics. If you're not vaccinated, don't whine when you get the mumps, chickenpox as an adult, or meningitis. Simple.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hawaii For This Useful Post:

Cheese (01-20-2015),Colby (02-20-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    197 times
    Time Online
    37d 18h 3m
    Avg. Time Online
    13m
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawaii View Post
    It doesn't make a difference to me. I'm neither pro nor anti; reading some of the replies to this thread has seriously concerned me.

I'm 22 & I'm not immunized. In my opinion, it's up to parents to decide whether or not their kids will receive vaccines & I think it's incredibly rude for people to call them stupid or selfish for choosing not to. Cultural or religious perspectives & personal preferences don't make somebody stupid. It's arrogant & ignorant to say they are! No one should be made to feel bad for what they choose to do with their kids. Yeah, that's a "deadly" mentality to have, but that's the way life works. You like vaccines? Vaccinate your kids. You don't? Then be prepared for what could happen.

Because of my personal experiences, I'm 50/50 on the subject. Several of you mentioned how the flu shot is only something like 23% effective this year. A young boy where I live got his & the flu still nearly killed him. Someone I know is vaccinated & had shingles - 3 times. I've been asked by how & why I was even allowed to attend school, yet I've never had the chickenpox, the flu, whooping cough, or anything else most people are vaccinated for. I figure I'm no worse off than anyone else. There are people living in developed countries with vaccines who still die from diarrhea! Buuuut, if I were to get pregnant, I'd get vaccinated then to protect myself & more than likely vaccinate my kid.

My thoughts wrapped up: I accept & respect both sides. If you're vaccinated, don't depend on that alone & be aware that people without vaccines are not responsible for epidemics. If you're not vaccinated, don't whine when you get the mumps, chickenpox as an adult, or meningitis. Simple.
    (you need an account to see links)

I would like to point out that by choosing not to vaccinate, other people other than yourself are at risk. They can be responsible for epidemics. If I had a baby and they got measles because they were exposed to those old enough to get the vaccine whose parents decided not to, I'd be insanely furious. It's plain selfish on the parents part. I get not vaccinating for religious reasons, but if you're one of those idiotic parents who still believe that you can get autism from these vaccinations when evidence clearly suggests that it's not true, shame on you.

Thanks Anne <3

S W E E T S

Thanks Minty and Fruity! <3