19/0
    Mentioned
    143 times
    Time Online
    34d 23h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    13m

Birth control and weight gain?

So I've been on the Depo Provera shot for about a year and I've noticed significant weight gain, primarily in my face and stomach.

My face

Before

After

My torso

Before

After

(I know both torso pics suck LOL)

But as you can see...I've gotten a good bit bigger. I've been exercising more to try and drop the pounds but I'm not losing any weight whatsoever, even with creating a huge calorie deficit and eating right. I have no idea how to lose this weight, if not by exercise and diet. My doctor suggested that it is mostly water weight, but I though water weight was what came off the easiest?

I'd like some advice from people who have taken birth control such as Depo Provera or any other hormonal BC that causes weight gain.

Thanks Munna for this qt signature <3
    Thanks Air for my awesome avatar!

Queso Bandito

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    120 times
    Time Online
    42d 21h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    15m
    Tell your doctor you want something else...I think birth control should only have you gain 5 pounds in water weight and you should lose it if you come off of it.

Doctors are such liars when they say birth control doesn't make you gain weight...BS. But it's nothing to be concerned of Cheese, you look good.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sociopath For This Useful Post:

Cheese (10-02-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    19/0
    Mentioned
    143 times
    Time Online
    34d 23h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    13m
    Quote Originally Posted by Sociopath View Post
    Tell your doctor you want something else...I think birth control should only have you gain 5 pounds in water weight and you should lose it if you come off of it.

Doctors are such liars when they say birth control doesn't make you gain weight...BS. But it's nothing to be concerned of Cheese, you look good.
    I hope so! I've got a doc appointment tomorrow so I'll be discussing an alternative with her. Hopefully something that doesn't cause more weight.

And awe thanks! <3 I appreciate that.

Queso Bandito

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    18/0
    Mentioned
    190 times
    Time Online
    59d 1h 57m
    Avg. Time Online
    20m
    Its super common for women on birth control to gain weight.
    If your eating habits haven't changed and have remained the same, I would talk to your doctor about changing your BC.
    I've been on Orsythia for.. 8 years now and have had no problems gaining weight while taking it. Its an oral tablet.
    If you want to stick to the shots ask for suggestions of a different kind.
    It is typical for a woman to gain atleast up to 10lbs. It all depends on your body..
    If you've gained more than 20, then that is something to definitely discuss, because you shouldn't have gained THAT much.
    A lot of it could be water weight.. Try drinking nothing but water for the next couple of days. Flush your system out.
    It sounds weird, but the best way to fight water weight is by drinking water.
    Water weight is formed because your body is trying to hoard as much water as it can if its deprived.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    19/0
    Mentioned
    143 times
    Time Online
    34d 23h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    13m
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindsay View Post
    Its super common for women on birth control to gain weight.
    If your eating habits haven't changed and have remained the same, I would talk to your doctor about changing your BC.
    I've been on Orsythia for.. 8 years now and have had no problems gaining weight while taking it. Its an oral tablet.
    If you want to stick to the shots ask for suggestions of a different kind.
    It is typical for a woman to gain atleast up to 10lbs. It all depends on your body..
    If you've gained more than 20, then that is something to definitely discuss, because you shouldn't have gained THAT much.
    A lot of it could be water weight.. Try drinking nothing but water for the next couple of days. Flush your system out.
    It sounds weird, but the best way to fight water weight is by drinking water.
    Water weight is formed because your body is trying to hoard as much water as it can if its deprived.
    Yeah I've definitely gained about 25-30 lbs within the year, with the same habits I had before the shot.
    I actually did try and drink nothing but water (I was drinking maybe 5-6 bottles of water a day for two months) and didn't see results from that I felt better, but weighed the same.

I'll see if they have other forms of the shots (because I'm too forgetful/terrible at taking oral medicine and pills) and hopefully whatever they give me will be better.

Queso Bandito

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    18/0
    Mentioned
    190 times
    Time Online
    59d 1h 57m
    Avg. Time Online
    20m
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
    Yeah I've definitely gained about 25-30 lbs within the year, with the same habits I had before the shot.
    I actually did try and drink nothing but water (I was drinking maybe 5-6 bottles of water a day for two months) and didn't see results from that I felt better, but weighed the same.

I'll see if they have other forms of the shots (because I'm too forgetful/terrible at taking oral medicine and pills) and hopefully whatever they give me will be better.
    I just googled Depo Provera.

"The findings from this study revealed that Depo Provera use is associated with significant weight gain due to an increase in fat mass. Apparently, the degree of weight increase was dependent on the length of time the Depo shot was used. Researchers also established that DMPA-associated increases in weight are due to an increase in fat mass and not lean mass -- thought the mechanism by which DMPA causes an increase in fat mass is not understood."

(you need an account to see links)

Screw the doc. Tell 'em you want something else. -_-

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Lindsay For This Useful Post:

cibomatto (10-29-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    19/0
    Mentioned
    143 times
    Time Online
    34d 23h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    13m
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindsay View Post
    I just googled Depo Provera.

"The findings from this study revealed that Depo Provera use is associated with significant weight gain due to an increase in fat mass. Apparently, the degree of weight increase was dependent on the length of time the Depo shot was used. Researchers also established that DMPA-associated increases in weight are due to an increase in fat mass and not lean mass -- thought the mechanism by which DMPA causes an increase in fat mass is not understood."

(you need an account to see links)

Screw the doc. Tell 'em you want something else. -_-
    o___o

Wow..I mean she told me I would gain a little weight but never did I think "a little weight" would be over 5lbs

Definitely going to say something to them.

Queso Bandito

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    18/0
    Mentioned
    190 times
    Time Online
    59d 1h 57m
    Avg. Time Online
    20m
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
    o___o

Wow..I mean she told me I would gain a little weight but never did I think "a little weight" would be over 5lbs

---------- Post added at 09:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 PM ----------

o___o

She may be inexperienced with that brand.

Just remember that you ARE beautiful!
    Good luck!! <3

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Lindsay For This Useful Post:

Cheese (10-02-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    53/0
    Mentioned
    72 times
    Time Online
    32d 21h 47m
    Avg. Time Online
    13m
    I gained a ton of weight on depo. I went off it asap. I now am on the NuvaRing and omg I LOVE it! It's so worth it.

I'd def recommend switching to the nuvaring. You basically put it in and forget about it.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cabbage For This Useful Post:

Cheese (10-02-2014),cibomatto (10-29-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    19/0
    Mentioned
    143 times
    Time Online
    34d 23h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    13m
    Quote Originally Posted by Teal View Post
    I hate birth control so much. I despise it.
    I've been on it for about 2 ~ 3 years and I'm finally calling it quits.
    I took Loestrin 24 Fe, the low hormone dosage.
    After a year, seriously, my body finally got adjusted to it. But before then, I had crazy mood swings, I was tired all the time, and I gained about 12 pounds.

After finally getting adjusted to it, THEY DISCONTINUED IT. -___-
    I took Junel for the past 3 months and I noticed immediately, weight gain. 3 months, gained about 11 pounds and I noticed I started getting crazy headaches, body aches, fatigue, nausea, and mood swings.
    I just stopped and I already dropped 7 pounds.

I'm sorry you're having problems with the birth control but even when I was exercising and eating healthy, the weight wouldn't seem to shed. Only time I actually started losing the weight was about a year later. I'm sure it is different for everyone though but heh. I give up on synthetic hormones.

I guess you can ask for other alternatives though that won't cause as many side affects.
    I'm sorry, I know this isn't much help but just a personal experience. D:
    Oh wow that's terrible ;__;
    Yeah I'm always tired, mood swings, etc.

Why does such a wonderful drug have to do this to me???

I appreciate the advice! I really hope I can shed the pounds faster, a whole year being the same size as I am now doesn't sound like something I want. ;-;

---------- Post added at 09:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse View Post
    I gained a ton of weight on depo. I went off it asap. I now am on the NuvaRing and omg I LOVE it! It's so worth it.

I'd def recommend switching to the nuvaring. You basically put it in and forget about it.
    Oh I heard about that! I'll have to do some more research on that one. Is it as effective as depo?

Queso Bandito