20/0
    Mentioned
    415 times
    Time Online
    30d 7h 36m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormpower View Post
    Okay, thanks. Are they overly expensive? (I haven't really looked around much yet)
    Both of mine came from the wild. I consider the box turtle a rescue because she's missing a leg (obviously had it bitten off, there's a bit of bone that wiggles around inside of skin that must've grown over it). My red-eared slider my father scooped up from a golf course when he was the side of a half dollar... so he's been mine since we were both infants! So uh... they're cheap! My slider's aquarium, with filtration system, cost me around $150. You can usually pick them up off of Craigslist for cheaper (and can probably buy a tank with a turtle ready to go that way, too).

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    1d 7h 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Skarl View Post
    Both of mine came from the wild. I consider the box turtle a rescue because she's missing a leg (obviously had it bitten off, there's a bit of bone that wiggles around inside of skin that must've grown over it). My red-eared slider my father scooped up from a golf course when he was the side of a half dollar... so he's been mine since we were both infants! So uh... they're cheap! My slider's aquarium, with filtration system, cost me around $150. You can usually pick them up off of Craigslist for cheaper (and can probably buy a tank with a turtle ready to go that way, too).
    Yeah okay, thanks for the info. I am hoping to be starting a new job next month sometime which will hopefully bring in a bit more money for some fun stuff like this.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    20/0
    Mentioned
    415 times
    Time Online
    30d 7h 36m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    Yeah okay, thanks for the info. I am hoping to be starting a new job next month sometime which will hopefully bring in a bit more money for some fun stuff like this.
    Sounds like an awesome way to spoil your kiddo! but turtles are a long-term commitment. I'm going to end up willing mine away to my sister if I don't remarry and make babies some day.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    1d 7h 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Sounds like an awesome way to spoil your kiddo! but turtles are a long-term commitment. I'm going to end up willing mine away to my sister if I don't remarry and make babies some day.
    Yeah, it'll either be that or a bird (probably a cockatiel or lovebird) as I doubt we'd be able to afford a cat or a dog.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    20/0
    Mentioned
    415 times
    Time Online
    30d 7h 36m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    Yeah, it'll either be that or a bird (probably a cockatiel or lovebird) as I doubt we'd be able to afford a cat or a dog.
    Understandable! Totally have to work with what you can easily afford.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    12/0
    Mentioned
    21 times
    Time Online
    5d 25m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Sure do! One hosts my red-eared slider. The other I treat a a terrarium for my box turtle.
    You seriously have the best pets

I had four goldfish once. How exciting!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    117/0
    Mentioned
    37 times
    Time Online
    10d 3h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    I currently have a 5 gallon fluval spec set up as salt water with a coral banded pistol shrimp and a platinum clownfish. When I move out of my house I plan on setting up a 75 I picked up the other day that is pre-drilled with a built in overflow for 60 dollars. Or I might be buying a 135 in the next couple of days.. But I plan on doing the same as you by fragging off corals and selling them for a little extra income.

I also have two 29 gallon tanks, one with a pair of seahorses and one has a dwarf fuzzy lionfish and a snowflake eel. Needless to say I like saltwater more than fresh
    nice! last week i picked up an 80g for 50$

Sure do! One hosts my red-eared slider. The other I treat a a terrarium for my box turtle.
    sweet i love box turtles

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    20/0
    Mentioned
    415 times
    Time Online
    30d 7h 36m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    Quote Originally Posted by guppy breeder View Post
    nice! last week i picked up an 80g for 50$

sweet i love box turtles
    That's an awesome deal for the size! and box turtles must love you!

Quote Originally Posted by Katieee View Post
    You seriously have the best pets

I had four goldfish once. How exciting!
    Were the goldfish to balance the tank (I forget what the 'term' for them is... you let them die to boost the ecosystem).
    and no point in debating: my pets are pretty rad! Forever friends.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 times
    Time Online
    2d 12h 34m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    I love aquarium keeping! I don't have the room for one currently, but if/when I move I'm hoping to start up again.

I kept Weather/Golden Dojo Loaches, Plecos, Black Ghost Knives, Mollies, Platys throughout the time I had my tank.
    Weather Loach died last lived for 8 years, grew to be about 5 inches long.
    Golden Dojo was a little smaller, died only a few months prior to the Weather Loach.

I sold my BGK, he grew to 9 inches long which is a little big for my 30 gallon haha. I'm sure he's still alive and well in his new home though.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    117/0
    Mentioned
    37 times
    Time Online
    10d 3h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
    I love aquarium keeping! I don't have the room for one currently, but if/when I move I'm hoping to start up again.

I kept Weather/Golden Dojo Loaches, Plecos, Black Ghost Knives, Mollies, Platys throughout the time I had my tank.
    Weather Loach died last lived for 8 years, grew to be about 5 inches long.
    Golden Dojo was a little smaller, died only a few months prior to the Weather Loach.

I sold my BGK, he grew to 9 inches long which is a little big for my 30 gallon haha. I'm sure he's still alive and well in his new home though.
    sweet, hope you get room for one(tank) they are def alot of fun