12/0
    Mentioned
    97 times
    Time Online
    9h 29m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A

Mods: Ninja Post Deleting?

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's had this happen to them.

Sometimes, when I make a post that could not possibly be offensive in any way, a post that breaks no rules whatsoever and could not upset anybody, that post just gets deleted.

This would be excusable, if a reason was given for removing the post. Perhaps if it was edited, and the reason given in the text?

As it is, it just seems a bit like an abuse of power. Especially in somewhere like the current spam forum, where deleting something for being off-topic would be especially ridiculous.
    Fatality.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    319 times
    Time Online
    4d 38m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    for now, when a mods/admin/whatever deletes a post, we can see it as a sidenote, as for letting the regular members see why, i dunno, i think it might start drama, for whatever reason, but i'm sure that if you pmed a mod then we would be more than happy to explain why it was deleted
    just report it and ignore it.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J_L_K_64 For This Useful Post:

Emiley (01-25-2012),Monark (01-25-2012)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    80 times
    Time Online
    14m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Can Regular Mods Perm Delete things?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    51/0
    Mentioned
    10 times
    Time Online
    21h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    As a mod on another forum, there are dozens of reasons why your post could get deleted, even if you think there's not a legitimate reason.
    We have to delete hundreds of posts a day, and if it's nothing to warrant a warning or an infraction, it would be too hard to let everyone know why their post was deleted every time it happens.
    Like they said^, just PM a mod if you really want to know. You've just gotta know that it's too much of a hassle without a send-message-on-delete-post option.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Ben (01-25-2012),Emiley (01-25-2012),J_L_K_64 (01-25-2012),Jole (01-25-2012)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    12/0
    Mentioned
    97 times
    Time Online
    9h 29m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    As a mod on another forum, there are dozens of reasons why your post could get deleted, even if you think there's not a legitimate reason.
    We have to delete hundreds of posts a day, and if it's nothing to warrant a warning or an infraction, it would be too hard to let everyone know why their post was deleted every time it happens.
    Like they said^, just PM a mod if you really want to know. You've just gotta know that it's too much of a hassle without a send-message-on-delete-post option.
    Firstly, this is not a forum where hundreds of posts a day are deleted. If hundreds of posts are being deleted, then something is very wrong, and I would say that it is most likely that the staff is to blame. This is a relatively small forum, where most of the moderators know a lot of the members personally, and where both groups actively mingle with each other on a casual, chatty basis.

Except, of course, that if someone says something which annoys one of those moderators, even if that other person is not to blame in any way, they get their contribution to a discussion removed. For what seems to be no reason. It just disappears.

I'd like to think I'm a responsible person, and a responsible poster. I'd like to think that if somebody disagrees with that idea I have of myself, that they should let me know. We, responsible people, tend to take such messages of disagreement in a way which should not put people off sending them.

All I'm getting from these replies is that it is acceptable to use moderator power for personal gain, as long as it is kept quiet. As long as it can be covered up with the excuse that it is too time-consuming, too personal to provide a proper explanation for deleted posts: on such an apparently impersonal forum, such as this one. To be honest, it makes me question the choice of moderators, more than anything else.
    Fatality.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    80 times
    Time Online
    14m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Inq View Post
    Firstly, this is not a forum where hundreds of posts a day are deleted. If hundreds of posts are being deleted, then something is very wrong, and I would say that it is most likely that the staff is to blame. This is a relatively small forum, where most of the moderators know a lot of the members personally, and where both groups actively mingle with each other on a casual, chatty basis.

Except, of course, that if someone says something which annoys one of those moderators, even if that other person is not to blame in any way, they get their contribution to a discussion removed. For what seems to be no reason. It just disappears.

I'd like to think I'm a responsible person, and a responsible poster. I'd like to think that if somebody disagrees with that idea I have of myself, that they should let me know. We, responsible people, tend to take such messages of disagreement in a way which should not put people off sending them.

All I'm getting from these replies is that it is acceptable to use moderator power for personal gain, as long as it is kept quiet. As long as it can be covered up with the excuse that it is too time-consuming, too personal to provide a proper explanation for deleted posts: on such an apparently impersonal forum, such as this one. To be honest, it makes me question the choice of moderators, more than anything else.
    Thats why I question why regular mods have the power to perm delete things.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    51/0
    Mentioned
    10 times
    Time Online
    21h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Inq View Post

I understand that there probably aren't hundreds of posts being deleted here, seeing as this is a new community, but why is the idea of corruption within the mods so persistent in your mind?
    As I've seen, the mods will tell you what you're doing wrong, if it's important.
    If you see your post deleted, then take it as a small warning to not post what you did.
    If you want it expanded upon, simply PM a mod asking what you did wrong.
    I don't see what this has to do with mod corruption.
    It is simply too much of a hassle. Nothing more, nothing less. Would you rather have pages upon pages upon pages of useless warnings filling up your UserCP, or have a simple conversation with a mod explaining why your post was deleted?
    Although, I agree that normal mods shouldn't be able to perm delete things, seeing as they're the lowest tier. Not that they can't be trusted, but more as giving super mods an oversight of what's being deleted by normal mods.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    319 times
    Time Online
    4d 38m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    i dunno if regular mods can, we'll have to wait and see

someone tag them, lol
    just report it and ignore it.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    26/0
    Mentioned
    165 times
    Time Online
    12m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    They can delete posts, Im almost sure.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    80 times
    Time Online
    14m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    perm delete not just soft delete. There's a difference.