DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    34 times
    Time Online
    17d 2h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    As much as it is an ever increasing problem, I don't think an added tax on "unhealthy" food's is the solution. Although I don't have any alternative solutions, I don't believe taxing the company's is the way to go either. I think to many people use scape goat's when it comes to obesity. Controversial as it may be, I do believe the majority of it comes down the the person in question. Some people can eat Mac Donald's daily and still be underweight let alone just average. I am not saying it is healthy, as unarguably you are doing your body no good least of all your heart, but it will not be the cause for someone being 250+ pounds. I believe the root of the problem comes down to portion size or frequency in the large majority. I have no doubt some people metabolize faster than others and someone a little bit smaller than you may have a bigger appetite. But I don't believe a body can sustain such a large mass on such small portions of food daily (suggesting they are eating properly) and I think that is one of the issue's, "eating properly" is open to interpretation. My interpretation of eating properly would not after a week leave you another 3pounds heavier (at that weight) even if you eat it all and fell into a coma straight after which is why I cringe when people overuse medical conditions or blame the food. My view is the human body is amazing at adapting, if you fill your stomach to the brim every meal then next month you could properly fit in more the last month and the same with the next one. If you where stuck on a island tomorrow with only some berries to go on after two weeks a days intake would properly not have got you past 1:00pm without serious stomach ache from starvation the 2 weeks prior. A body has to be sustained before it can continue to grow and I don't feel the needs of an average person will sustain an obese person.

Average people should not be forced to pay the price for others lack of self control and over indulgence. Unfortunately that's already the system we live in.

Interested to hear reply's

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to n00ne For This Useful Post:

Rain (02-19-2012),zxzero (03-17-2012)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    1,100 times
    Time Online
    43d 11h 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    in response to this board as a whole, i think that taxation of the obese is unfair. but one example of a place where it should be and has already been implemented is airlines. If a person is not able to fit into their seat, they are required to purchase a second. this is fair, because it is not enjoyable to sit next to someone and be shoved against them for an entire flight. this should also apply to anyone who is just to big, not even obese.
    [9/3/12 11:11:58 PM] Joanna: sigh
    [9/3/12 11:12:14 PM] Joanna: john
    [9/3/12 11:12:16 PM] Joanna: is
    [9/3/12 11:12:17 PM] Joanna: perfect

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    21 times
    Time Online
    4d 14h 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    When I studied abroad in Spain for a summer, I was surprised to see that I could buy 3 bottles of white wine for the cost of a Butterfinger. (They have some sort of crazy sin tax on imported candy) local desserts were average price. I also didn't see nearly as many fat people in Spain, or any of like 30 other countries that I've been to than the USA. With that point, while I do agree that a fat tax on unhealthy goods is probably a good idea, it will face too much opposition (people will lose jobs and stuff like that). I think a better solution is just better education during grade school on how what you eat affects your body and to consult your genetic relatives on what runs in the family history. Make the decision yourself rather than have the government make the decision for you. (Still would vote for such a tax though).

5. The Following User Says Thank You to tcas4200 For This Useful Post:

zxzero (03-17-2012)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    16/0
    Mentioned
    62 times
    Time Online
    5d 14h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    n00ne, I agree with you.

Those who are weight conscious; however, tend to avoid unhealthy foods anyway, and I think if the price is higher, it will definitely put some people off buying such foods. But you're right, the human body is amazingly good at adapting. For example, miners who were once trapped underground for a month ate a spoonful of canned tuna per day (as part of a ration); when they came back up, they had to be slowly adapted to eating more - and different types - of foods. It just goes to show that if a person eats more, they will tend to eat more, and their stomach will be able to handle it. I think obesity is a huge problem in our society though, what with all the fast foods and so on; and I think that measures should be taken. Portions aren't going to change a thing, tbh. Maybe portions and cost together will help. My friend bought 5 cheeseburgers the other day, because they were so cheap. If the cheeseburgers were smaller, it really wouldn't have made much of a difference. (I don't know how he could eat them all LOL, but yeah).

Still, they say the change in portion (a handful, if I remember correct) when 'dieting' is the best way to eat less. :p

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rain For This Useful Post:

n00ne (02-19-2012),zxzero (03-17-2012)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    33/1
    Mentioned
    35 times
    Time Online
    12d 19h 44m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    possibly -- not so much in america but maybe here in england where the government shells out millions each year just to help people who are obese ... one guy needed

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    120/0
    Mentioned
    82 times
    Time Online
    26d 19h 22m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    I say no, dont tax it, its all i can afford to eat, im broke (in NZ) and i cant afford veges and fruits, cost to much, in order for me to survive i need to buy fatty foods....

the way i see it, they make good food cost alot and bad food cheap to try and kill off all the poor people

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    47/0
    Mentioned
    10 times
    Time Online
    4d 9h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    NOOOOO!!! I love my food and if they taxed it there would be another boston tea party just not with tea and it won't be a party

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    126/0
    Mentioned
    41 times
    Time Online
    3d 13h 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Good idea but unfortuately, way too much money is made for the government to tax it. I personally am of the opinion that junk food (think McDonalds, KFC, etc)
    is USA's most major import. A tax like this would not be too good for the American economy.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    38/0
    Mentioned
    10 times
    Time Online
    3d 1h 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Not sure about it,
    I think it would be a good thing to tax fat food because I believe a lot of people eat the kind of food because its so cheap and most of the time easy to prepare... If this food would be more expensive some people would eat other (maybe more healty) food.

On the other side food isnt the only thing that makes you obese, if the gouverment wants to tax fat food because of aal the obese people its just isnt right.
    There are better ways to do thing againts obesity, (cheap sport licence, ...)
    And it would not be fair to people (who arent obese) who enjoy some junkfood also have to pay more so.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Daphne For This Useful Post:

zxzero (03-17-2012)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    12 times
    Time Online
    1d 16h 23m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Along with making junk food more expensive, healthier options should have discounted prices instead of their current "premium price" most lower class Americans simply buy more fattening food for the convenience and ease on the budget. If the prices were flip flopped people would be more apt to buy healthier alternatives and save the junk food as a luxury.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Avmo For This Useful Post:

zxzero (03-17-2012)