Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prayer in School - Permitted or Banned?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    45 times
    Time Online
    6d 21h 47m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m

Question Prayer in School - Permitted or Banned?

This topic has definitely come up in the past, and honestly, I hate how extremely religious people are making it such a big deal. Honestly, if you feel the need to pray and you do it quietly, I don't think anybody will notice. But these students asking for praying sessions and stuff, in my mind, are just taking away from school time. You don't need to do a big sit in a circle, arms held together, or anything like that. Just do a simple, quick prayer at your desk if you want to do it.

Because once you let Christians pray, how about the other religious groups? You will then have Muslim students performing the Salah, Buddhist students with their knees on the floor and hands pressed together, etc. and you have the Atheist student saying "Could we please move on with the lesson?"

What do you guys think?

REMEMBER THIS IS THE DEBATE ZONE! THAT MEANS ALL POSTS MUST HAVE 3-5 SENTENCES. ALSO SOURCES ARE EXTREMELY HELPFUL!!!

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    16 times
    Time Online
    N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I would say suuuuuuure. After school or during their lunch break. Teachers are getting paid by the hour, why should wait for them doing the praying. Don't people pray at night or go to church on sundays for that?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I go to a Catholic school and we pray all the time in every class, so obviously it's not an issue there.. but there are students that are Muslim, Mormon, Buddhist, and even some atheists. I don't know why an atheist would come to a Catholic school but they're present during all the prayers regardless.

In a public school though, I think that praying sessions aren't necessary. Praying to yourself without a big show is the best way to go, without getting on your knees or anything. Maybe a religious club could pray together? I don't know, maybe a religious school club is weird... actually my school has a Muslim club. but big shows of prayer is just of outlandish in my opinion, and that's not what religion is about. Praying in a Catholic school is different because the students expect that, but in a public school with mixed religions prayer in every class would offend some people and make a lot of people angry

4. The Following User Says Thank You to inuse123 For This Useful Post:

Azn (01-29-2012)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    9/0
    Mentioned
    155 times
    Time Online
    104d 23h 13m
    Avg. Time Online
    36m
    You know there's extremists on both sides of this. Yeah, some religious people are like "OhEmGawd we hav 2 pra erryda in skool cus we hav 2!" kind of thing. (lol wow that was hard to type like that. Sheesh. That looks so stupid.) And then you have the people on the other side who think that prayer should be banned. Period. I'm Catholic, but I don't personally pray in school. But I don't think that prayer should be banned. As Americans, we have the whole freedom of religion thing. But the extreme "Christians" who are like obsessive with what's right and wrong and have to be in your face about their beliefs give the rest of us such a bad rep. That's not what Christianity is about. Like I am VERY passionate about what I believe in, but I would NEVER try and force it down someone's throat. Saying that, though, I DO wish that people would give it a shot before just shooting the belief down completely. And I think I just got way off topic. Basically, prayer shouldn't be banned. Obviously, you don't want to go to the extreme of having prayer disrupting class time, but if non believers or atheists are allowed to not have religion shoved in their faces, I think that people should be allowed to pray in school. I think society in general is pushing too hard to try and please all the atheists. But there's got to be some sort of a balance.

Ok so I'm not much of a debater, but I think I said what I meant to say? Hopefully it's something more that a bunch of gibberish to you all. >.<

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    1,100 times
    Time Online
    43d 11h 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    banned in public school because that is supposed to be non denominational. but in private schools i say go for it. private schools can approach religion as they please as they should be able to.
    [9/3/12 11:11:58 PM] Joanna: sigh
    [9/3/12 11:12:14 PM] Joanna: john
    [9/3/12 11:12:16 PM] Joanna: is
    [9/3/12 11:12:17 PM] Joanna: perfect

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    1h 3m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I don't think prayer should be 'banned' anywhere. I know there are some religions that are supposed to pray throughout the day and I think those students should be allowed to do it, regardless of what school they're in(though I'm slightly amused by the atheist in Catholic school comment lol). Now, making students pray should be banned(and as far as I know, is), but not allowing them to do so.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    73/0
    Mentioned
    51 times
    Time Online
    1d 8h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I agree that it should be the child's choice to pray or not like if their Muslim etc because they pray surfing certain times or other children who grow up in that environment they should be aloud to. I do not think they should make everyone do it it they don't want to unless it's a religious school to begin with. If they have a religious practice that tells them to pray at a certain time let them or if they want to pray before they eat fine but other than that it isn't needed in school.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    72/0
    Mentioned
    81 times
    Time Online
    1d 17h 23m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    For public schools like here in Canada, pryers should be banned. Country is atheist. Some parents don't want their children to be raised with the influence of religion and live in small town where there is only one public school. For people that want their children to pry, theyr can do it at home or send them to private catholic school.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    45/0
    Mentioned
    17 times
    Time Online
    2d 14h 57m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I think it should not be banned BUT only individuals can do it teachers and other adult figures/ role models cannot take place

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    12 times
    Time Online
    4d 14h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    I studied in a convent high school and we had weekly Bible Study periods and a significant potion of each assembly is used for devotional purposes. Being a Christian myself, I enjoyed them, but I understand that it might have been a tad awkward for people of other faith at times. But I had a couple of good friends who were Buddhists or Atheists and they were always respectful and found the Bible Study sessions interesting. Still, they knew what they were getting into when they enrolled in a convent school, right?

I have never been particularly religious, but I think all religions should be treated with respect, and that's hard to do if secular educational institutions make prayer sessions compulsory. Still, I think prayer can be a real source of comfort and peace so I don't see why they should be banned either. People should just be given the choice to practice their faith in whatever way is meaningful for them and respect everyone else who may be different.