What do you guys think about Affirmative Action?

For those who don't know, Affirmative action refers to policies that take factors including "race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation or national origin" into consideration in order to benefit an underrepresented group, usually as a means to counter the effects of a history of discrimination (Wikipedia).

Basically it's reversed discrimination and is positive to minorities.

For example, say Jane and Jill were two identical girls, made the same grades, scored the scores, played the same sports. However, Jane is white and Jill is black. If they both apply to the same college, Jill has a better chance of getting into college.

So where do I stand on this topic?

Well I'm actually on the fence on this one, believe it or not I do see Affirmative Action as a good thing, especially since it gives advantages to minorities who really need them. It's a really helpful crutch that some people need. I mean some people get into colleges because they have affiliations so I see it as the same thing.

What's wrong with it? Well to start, some African Americans need it more than others. If Jill comes from a wealthy, well-educated family, why would she need it over Sally, an African American who is actually struggling to make ends meet because of her family history.

I have more to say but I'll wait for you guys to say some stuff first.

REMEMBER THIS IS THE DEBATE ZONE! THAT MEANS ALL POSTS MUST HAVE 3-5 SENTENCES. ALSO SOURCES ARE EXTREMELY HELPFUL!!!