34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    that is unfair how the college people have less of a challenge
    lol less of a challenge? Your mark is based on 2 or 3 marks if you are lucky, and a lab component if you are even more lucky. Elementary, junior, and high school you get 10+ unit tests per course plus a final and participation marks. You get plenty of opportunity to make up a mark if you do shitty on one exam. College and University you have 2 or 3 marks total. When you have a class of 400 students all raring to go because their grade depends on 2 marks you are up against some competition.

My grading for my Advanced Psych class.
    A+: 90-100%
    A: 85-89%
    A-:81-84%
    B+:75-80%
    B:69-74%
    B-:63-68%
    C+:60-62%
    C:55-59%
    C-:50-54%
    D+:46-49%
    D:40-45%
    F:0-39%

Class average on the 2 midterms a term over the years he said has been less than a 60%. That means this class is difficult, and most of the class will be receiving C+ grades. This particular class is a "you get what you get" course so no curves, no chance to hope that if the rest of the class does horrible your mark will go up with theirs...if you get a 50 you get a C- that is it. But if someone fails the midterms, as it looks like many will, they can still get the all important credits from those D and D+ grades at the end of the course because anything above a 39% still means you passed. I miss high school so much, I took those simple easy unit tests for granted.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    54/0
    Mentioned
    289 times
    Time Online
    N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by whatareyoudoingomgSTOP View Post
    Emily...you're only in 8th grade. You really shouldn't be judging how challenging college is right now lol.
    Well, soon to maybe being in 9th grade, IF I do not screw up and get F's lol. When my mom was younger the grading system was almost exactly like the college one except it was easier to get an A, kind of makes me mad that I have to go through much more than my mom. The grading system should be equal on my opinion.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    23 times
    Time Online
    8h 48m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Sci_Girl View Post
    lol less of a challenge? Your mark is based on 2 or 3 marks if you are lucky, and a lab component if you are even more lucky. Elementary, junior, and high school you get 10+ unit tests per course plus a final and participation marks. You get plenty of opportunity to make up a mark if you do shitty on one exam. College and University you have 2 or 3 marks total. When you have a class of 400 students all raring to go because their grade depends on 2 marks you are up against some competition.
    Lmao yeah seriously, my beginning programming class last semester had 3 tests including the final, if you did terribly on one you've pretty much totally screwed yourself. My sister got like a 60 on her first exam in one class and the teacher told her to drop the course if she wanted to end with a grade higher than a B and that's doing extremely well on EVERYTHING else that semester.
    L A U R E N
    "Live as if you were to die tomorrow.
    Learn as if you were to live forever." ~ Gandhi

Thanks
    DL/UL
    54/0
    Mentioned
    289 times
    Time Online
    N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Sci_Girl View Post
    A+: 90-100%
    A: 85-89%
    A-:81-84%
    B+:75-80%
    B:69-74%
    B-:63-68%
    C+:60-62%
    C:55-59%
    C-:50-54%
    D+:46-49%
    D:40-45%
    F:0-39%
    That is how the grading system was when my mom was a kid. I know cause she told me once when I was having a private convo lol.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    45 times
    Time Online
    6d 21h 47m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    A .................................................. .................................................. ..............90

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    I think high school kids deserve to have a minimum 60-70% to pass, I mean they have like 20 marks plus the final! And the teacher can still bump up their grade if they are a student that has "tried really hard". If you ask a prof to bump up your grade because you "tried really hard" you will have the door shut in your face! lol. There is no sympathy in University.

To add, I have never had a class in my entire degree that you can still pass if you get above a 39%. I am honestly worried about the difficulty if even the University is willing to give a passing D grade to someone with a 40% average. There is no worry about a lot of difficulty like that in high school or below.
    Last edited by Sci_Girl; 01-17-2012 at 10:08 PM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    17 times
    Time Online
    3d 2h 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by Emily View Post
    Well, soon to maybe being in 9th grade, IF I do not screw up and get F's lol. When my mom was younger the grading system was almost exactly like the college one except it was easier to get an A, kind of makes me mad that I have to go through much more than my mom. The grading system should be equal on my opinion.
    There's a lot more to know and they're also trying to make the generation a lot more intelligent. Middle school is a breeeeezzzze compared to high school, which is easy as fuck compared to college. All of our parents probably had it a lot easier back in the day, but that's also because less was expected. Not everyone went to college because you could still make a decent living without it. Now it seems like you need at least a masters to get anywhere.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    352 times
    Time Online
    1d 20h 51m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    That's not true. My classes are on the 7 point scale.

PM me for any of the following:
    PSN
    NDS Friend Code
    Tumblr

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 times
    Time Online
    N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Consider this Emily, remember that college classes are based on Semesters.
    While you learn your whole Chemistry book from September to June (or whatever 10 months it is for you), College Students have to learn a whole text book in a matter of 3-4 months, and have a comprehensive final exam. Chapters are unbelievable rushed, and sometimes I have homework where I have to read 4 chapters, about 400 pages, by the next class meeting.

Trust me, it ISN'T fun. That's why you see so many people stress, and pull all nighters just to get a C on a Final Exam.

Less challenging than middle school?

L

O

L

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    23 times
    Time Online
    8h 48m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Sci_Girl a 69 and less was failing at my school. If you have a 70-75 and you're in athletics you get put on "academic probation" haha, I think it's weird that a 60 is passing in some places...
    L A U R E N
    "Live as if you were to die tomorrow.
    Learn as if you were to live forever." ~ Gandhi