2/0
    Mentioned
    23 times
    Time Online
    N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A

Red face Beginner's Guide to the BC!

Well we all see those annoying people on the Boards advertising their art, and some of us question whether we can do something like that. Maybe some of us aren't the best artists in the world, well I would like to change that with this little guide I set up It will explain the steps to make a pretty decent piece even if you aren't Leonardo Da Vinci. I am using Photoshop CS 5.1 for this demo with a tablet, but whatever computer program you have will work! (You can download Gimp for Free!!! ) *Notice: This is just an example piece, it took me about 10 min. from beginning to end to create this entirely, as to quickly show you on how you can draw nice stuff for the BC. If you need more help, I'll be creating an Art Gallery Guide as well (as to explain more detailed work of mine).* I will also be making a tutorial on MS Paint for those who don't have any programs.

Feel free to give rep if you like my guide :3

SECTION 1

STEP 1: Drawing out your sketch

(you need an account to see links)

First of all, you will want to draw out a quick sketch on one layer with the brush tool (you can use the pencil tool if you prefer), it doesn't have to be all pretty since we are going to ink over it after its finished. Once you're done with the sketch, get a new layer on top of this layer. (It took me about 30 seconds to draw this Chia out, but it may take longer for those who don't have a tablet)

STEP 2: Inking your sketch

Secondly, you will have to ink over the sketch you drew earlier with black on a new layer. Don't be frustrated if it doesn't turn out perfect the first time, especially if you're using a mouse (I still have to go really slow when I'm using my tablet since my hands can shake bad, causing little black marks everywhere). Then create a new layer UNDERNEATH the inked layer (you can now delete the sketch layer, since you wont need that anymore)

STEP 3: Coloring the Base of the Object

Make sure you have the neopet color in mind, it helps if you copy it from neocolours, google or from neo itself the pet you want to color. Then proceed to fill in the body, hair, feet, etc with the brush tool, it helps to be patient with this, since you're not directly filling the parts with the paint bucket tool (why we do this is because there are small pixels that get left out and it tends to get all nasty looking, so we color it in a new layer). I put my base color layer beneath my Ink layer because that way you wont color over the ink lines.

STEP 4: Shadow Time!

Well you can technically stop at the 3rd step, but for most people who are voting in the BC, they like to see more dynamic stuff So make sure you have an idea of where the light comes in so you can make your shadows (The shadows will come in where light is not present). The arrows in the picture are where I put the shadows on the chia. I have this on a separate layer thats above the base layer but beneath the Ink layer.

STEP 5: Highlight Time!

Well you just can't have shadow without the highlights The arrows show where I put the highlights. They are usually in spots directly facing the light source, but remember light will bounce off of an object and can be found in spots where there is no light (an example is a real life ball for instance, you put it outsude in the middle of the day and see where the light comes in and bounces off the ball). I have this on a separate layer thats above the base layer and above the shadow layer but beneath the Ink layer.

STEP 6: Finishing Touches

Here I added some extra lighter highlights in certain spots where the light might be directly hitting the subject. You don't have to add this if you don't want to, but it makes the subject pop out more.

SECTION 2

The second part of this guide describes the fact about Advertising your newly found piece of art! Before you do anything though, make sure the file size is lower than 70k and is in .JPEG or .GIF format (.Gif will be smaller than .Jpeg, but it will be highly pixelated).
    Then, you will have to upload your images on this link (you need an account to see links).

When you go and start advertising (that is if your entry did get accepted, which most of the time it does) you will have to either memorize the link to your pet's entry or simply put it into your Siggy.

(you need an account to see links)Yourpetnamehere will be your best friend during the week, poking and prodding it everywhere you go. I would recommend the Pound Chat and wish people who are trading their pets good luck and if they could vote for you. Most of the time they will honor your request, thus adding to your total vote count. I also recommend the Avatar and Help Chats, the will often vote for users as well (though I find most success on the PC). Sadly, there is no way of counting how many votes you do have unlike the Caption Contest, so you won't know how many people actually voted for you. Remember, don't go overboard with the spamming (some users are anti BC and will not vote and will sometimes report BCers for "spamming" their siggies, so just be careful!

I have come up with a list of the Easy, Medium, Semi Hard and Very Hard Categories of the Beauty Contest. (These are figures on how often so many entries come into play, as well as art quality and other factors)

Easy: Tuskaninny, Elephante, Lenny, Kiko, Jetsam, Tonu, Bori, Bruce, Buzz, Flotsam, Koi, Moehog, Ruki, Grundo, Nimmo

Medium: Grarrl, Lenny, Chia, Acara, Blumaroo, Chomby, Jubjub, Kau, Korbat, Lutari, Meerca, Pteri, Poogle, Wocky, Yurble, Mynci

Semi Hard: Hissi, Kyrii, Peophin, Ixi, Eyrie, Uni, Gnorbu

Very Hard: Aisha, Lupe, Draik, Krawk, Xweetok, Gelert, Kacheek, Cybunny

Remember, Sometimes Art alone does not win, so be patient and advertise when you can, you might end up placing! If you want a ton of trophies on your pet, I suggest only advertising a little so you wont get gold banned (unless you have entered an unpopular pet species with only 3 entries, then good luck!).

That's all Folks! I hope you like my little guide on the BC! If you have any questions or comments, please let me know! I will be keep adding a little bit to the guide when I have time.
    Last edited by Phoenix; 01-18-2012 at 09:21 PM.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Phoenix For This Useful Post:

bunnyhop (06-21-2014),Currant (02-26-2012),GTO (01-15-2012),IndigoSunset (01-19-2012),npm (01-15-2012),Slasher (01-29-2012),trix (04-29-2012)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    23 times
    Time Online
    N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    added section 2 on how to advertise your entry!