31m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A

Lightbulb [GUIDE] Auction Sniping~ [LEGIT! ^-^]

~A Guide to Auction Sniping!~

By Yue ^____~

Recommended:
    -Mouse
    -Keyboard with "End" key. (or for Mac users, the Command + Right Arrow)

The Methods:

1. Entering Bids.
    -Estimation is key!!
    -Works best on Snipes with increments between 1-1000 NP's.

2. Tabbing.
    -Preparedness is key!!
    -Works with virtually all increments!

3. Click-bidding.
    -Speed is key!!
    -Works best on Snipes with increments greater than 1000 NP's.

While there are obviously many ways to snipe, both legitimately and illegitimately, perhaps the most well-known are Entering Bids, Tabbing, and Click-Bidding. The three methods employ different tactics and some prefer certain methods over others. This guide aims to explain the mechanics behind each sniping method while also providing a concise walk-through on how to snipe using each of these methods. What's better, all 3 methods are completely legitimate, using no programs ^o^.

General Tips:
    -Using the End/Command + Right Arrow keys helps you jump to the bottom of the page to make a bid. This can save you a lot of scrolling if the list of bids is very long.
    -Using the Backspace rather than clicking the "Back" icon on your browser saves ample time, especially in an auction snipe where every second counts.
    -Sign changes (when an auction switches from say 30 mins - 2 hours to < 30 mins left) are not completely accurate. An auction labelled "Ending Time: 30 mins - 2 hours" could end in 15 minutes. Note that items begin to appear in numbers (at the back of the auctions) when they have approximately 10-11 minutes left.
    -Use the F5 key to prompt a refresh!

1. Sniping By Entering Bids

This is a method most snipers will employ in auctions. While page-loading speed is still important, the key in this method of sniping is knowing how much to overbid. When an auction hits page one, bids begin to escalate. This method relies more heavily on accuracy in estimation as opposed to speed.

Here's an example:

From this image, we see that the next minimum bid is 166,000 NP's. Taking into account the multitude of other snipers also placing in bids, it would not be in your best interest to make the lowest possible bid (unless you were click-bidding, but for that method, scroll down~ :J) so you'd try and make a higher bid. I decided to add 15k to the current bid.

Most times, you will then be greeted with this message:

Boo hoo! You've bid too much, but not to worry! This is really where a fast browser can really help. Your task now is to hit the Refresh and Enter keys. By doing so you are re-entering the number you've just bid on the auction. Your bid will soon go through, and then you'll be greeted with a congratulatory message!!

But the auction may not be over yet! Hit the Backspace key to go back to the bidding page to make another bid!.

Please Note that there is a 3 second bidding rule, much like the 5 second rule when Restocking. Here, you will have to estimate approximately how much the auction price would have inflated in 3 seconds. In most cases the rate of inflation is about 10-15k. Adding 20k to your previous bid would be a safe option (to avoid getting outbid). Keep repeating this cycle until the auction is over and hope your last bid was the last one to be made!

Entering Bids is considered the "safer" of the 3 sniping methods, (Tabbing being the "safest"). With good page load and practice, one can consistently get within the top 8 latest bids. It comes to no surprise that this is the most widely used method.

2. Sniping By Tabbing

The Idea behind Tabbing is very similar to Entering Bids. The twist however, is preparedness. Tabbing is better suited for beginning auction snipers who are still unable to cope with entering bids (or are inconsistent), and lack the precision and speed necessary for click-bidding. This method is slightly less consistent than Entering Bids and requires much preparation, but makes up in sheer simplicity come time to snipe. The Refresh and Enter keys are the only two keys you will need to press while sniping using this method.

Tabbing requires creating many windows, or tabs, ready with different amounts to bid.

Essentially, the top of your page will look something like this, except with a lot more tabs. On every subsequent tab, ascending from left to right, the amount you wish to bid should increase. Referring back to our first screenshot, I have decided to stick with an increment of 15k.

Labelled on the screenshot are 3 Tabs, Tab 1., Tab 2., and Tab 3. You would continue this pattern as long as you feel is necessary with whatever increments you feel would be best suited. When the snipe finally appears on the first page, simply go through your tabs to find the next lowest bid you've placed. Be sure the tab you've chosen contains a bid above the current minimum bid. Commence refreshing on that tab until the bid goes through before quickly closing and moving onto the next tab. Simply Rinse and repeat until the Auction Ends.

*reportedly, some browsers (none of which i can name at the moment) offer the option to "refresh all tabs". While this may be very helpful it is technically against the rules. Use on your own accord.

While this method does take much preparation it is more consistent than click-bidding, and even Entering Bids for those who have not mastered it.

Tip: Scroll-clicking on the auction's name rather than right-clicking and clicking "open-in-new-tab" helps speed up the preparation process when Tabbing . Every time you scroll click you automatically create a tab showing the bid page .

3. Sniping by Click-Bidding

Click-bidding requires a very fast connection speed. It relies not on estimation, nor preparedness. All it requires of you is to be quick, and i mean very, very quick.

The "End" key (or Command + Right Arrow for Mac Users) is especially crucial using this method. This key allows you to jump to the bottom of the screen instantaneously.

The method behind click-bidding is extraordinarily simple. All you really have to do is hit the "End" key to mark off where the "Place a Bid" icon is. This can easily be done by re-sizing the screen.

As you can see, the "Place a Bid" button has been aligned with another window in the background. With your screen re-sized and marked off, upon refreshing the screen you are now able to instantly make a bid by hitting the "End" Button and clicking on where the "Place a Bid" button will appear. And who said click-bidding could only be possible using programs?

While this method is by far the simplest, it lacks in consistency. With the number of other snipers also making bids, getting a click-bid in requires great speeds. Note, however, that the larger the increments of an auction, the easier it is to make a click-bid. This is so because making estimates on Auctions becomes harder and harder to accomplish as the increments become greater and more obscure.

Congratulations!!
    You've finished reading my guide on how to Snipe! I hope you learned something, or at least had fun reading it ^____~.

Please leave a comment if you have a question! Feedback is always welcome ^o^. Thanks again for taking the time to read what I've wrote~ good luck and have fun auction-sniping!! :cool:.
    Last edited by Yue; 01-17-2012 at 11:37 PM.

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Yue For This Useful Post:

420Chan (01-18-2012),5252 (01-16-2012),fallacy (11-07-2018),hiddenwaybelow (01-15-2012),Kad (01-17-2012),kidchaor (01-29-2012),Kristin (01-18-2012),Lauren (01-17-2012),Leet (01-16-2012),Sherri (01-18-2012),TheColosso (02-01-2017),Zeus (01-29-2012)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    19/0
    Mentioned
    17 times
    Time Online
    2h 21m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Wow, nice guide didn't see it until just now.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    53/0
    Mentioned
    48 times
    Time Online
    2d 23h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    You should add F5 to refresh, and spacebar scrolls down as well
    also the end key is also enter
    overall, very good guide

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    8 times
    Time Online
    31m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A

truth used to be where all the best snipers were xD now its a haven for the rich. i haven't posted in the guild boards in a while come to think of it x____x

thanks cirzoke! i'm glad you liked it ^_____^

edit:

zlolekim -

aww, thanks ^____^

hmm, yes, i can add F5, hmm silly me if i forgot to include it. the spacebar doesn't jump to the bottom of the page though, :C... at least for me. it does scroll though, but just using the mouse should do.

hmm speaking of scrolling, i should add that using the Scroll-Click while tabbing helps save some time. scroll-clicking the name of the auction automatically creates a new tab. (you can also scroll-click in magic to bypass the confirmation popup that appears)
    Last edited by Yue; 01-17-2012 at 10:49 PM.