DL/UL
    52/0
    Mentioned
    4 times
    Time Online
    2d 36m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A

Exclamation [VB.NET] Neopets Program Tutorial - Getting the Necessities - UPDATE

(you need an account to see links)

Neopets Login Tutorial

Getting The Necessities

You first need to master the basics, before you become a master. ~ Noxush
    First off, before we do anything, we need a few little tools to get it going.

Web Browser

Okay, so first of all, we're going to need a good web browser. For all those Internet Explorer users, you will most likely have to upgrade to one of these to continue from my knowledge. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Recommended Browsers

(you need an account to see links) - Of course, most compatibility with all the modifications and tools needed.

(you need an account to see links) - A faster browser, but less compatibility with everything you're going to need, though it still does work from my knowledge.

Those are really the only browsers I recommend at the moment as they are what I've used. If you know of any others, just leave a comment down below. I will be using Firefox for the majority of the series.

Modifications and Addons

Okay, so with the above choices, if you chose Firefox, continue with this paragraph, otherwise if you chose Google Chrome, click here or continue down.
    Firefox Users

First off, we're going to download a little addon called, (you need an account to see links) - It's what I use and it works fine for me. After that, install the addon, (you need an account to see links). This will allow you to place a handy little icon on your addon bar or in your toolbar area. This is very useful for how we're using it.

Okay, now after that, you're ready! Wasn't that easy? Continue on to the next section.

Chrome Users

First off, we don't even need any addons, just what's built into Chrome! All you have to do is click CTRL + SHIFT + I where you want to access the tool. Then when you enter the information, it will display a bunch of info like this:

Now, that seems all like gibberish to some people but it's really pretty simple.

"login.phtml" That is basically the link that you're sending the data to.

"destination:" That is basically that's the destination variable that you're sending the information to.

"username: & password:" That is the username being sent, as you see the "Form Data" the "Username:" is the part of the form you're sending.

We'll go over more of that in the next tutorial.

Visual Basic

On top of the web browser, we're also going to need a program to edit all the code with, and be able to run the program. The most popular program, (and probably the best) to use right now for VB.NET is the actual
    (you need an account to see links)

I recommend you download the 2010 version, as it is what I'm using, but feel free to download the 2012 version and follow along.

Once you download the program and install it, you're going to want to open up the program in either your start menu or desktop shortcut, or however you set it up. After that, you'll see a page like this.

This is your basic start menu, here you can start a new project, or practice tutorials provided my Microsoft. Feel free to try their Picture Viewer tutorial, it will help a bit in the tutorial.

But, we will be looking more at that later in the next tutorial where we create a basic program.

The Wrapper

Now when you see the term, "The Wrapper" you probably think, what? That makes no sense. Well, it's basically what allows us to visit the internet, post data and request data to Neopets and back.

This is the recommended wrapper at the moment: (you need an account to see links)

Okay, now you downloaded a wrapper, first, rename it "**Wrapper.vb", and leave it somewhere you will remember it.

Now the last think you need is something called, "PATIENCE"
    (Credits to Zachafer)

This is one of the most important parts of programming a language, you will spend a lot of time thinking to yourself, "Why doesn't this work?" Be prepared to spend hours upon hours troubleshooting your program. Some of you may get frustrated and just quit, annoyed by the effort required for this. If you're one of those who don't, you're in the right direction for an entertaining, useful and mind-working hobby. Congratulations!

Okay, and for the setting up and necessities, you are done. The next tutorial will cover creating a GUI.

Credits to @(you need an account to see links) for reminding me about some information and helping me along the way. @(you need an account to see links) for helping me for the last couple years with programming and putting up with me.

Last edited by Noxush; 11-28-2013 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Fixed some links, changed some things.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Noxush For This Useful Post:

Dom~ (07-12-2013),erikafranco_ (10-01-2013),fairydust201 (12-28-2012),j03 (12-08-2012),npm (12-08-2012),Shadowmere (10-24-2013),Vegeta (12-08-2012)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    33/0
    Mentioned
    33 times
    Time Online
    7d 7h 13m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Great guide!! + repped, I think CK needed something like this for beginners.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    98/0
    Mentioned
    512 times
    Time Online
    24d 13h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    You should include VB.Net express and a HTTPWrapper as Necessities (also patience ).

Thanks
    DL/UL
    52/0
    Mentioned
    4 times
    Time Online
    2d 36m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    @(you need an account to see links)

Ah yes, thank you for reminding me! I knew I was forgetting something crucial

@(you need an account to see links)

Thank you! I noticed it was missing a guide so wanted to fill in the space

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Noxush For This Useful Post:

Zachafer (12-09-2012)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    4h 31m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Where's part 2?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    98/0
    Mentioned
    512 times
    Time Online
    24d 13h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmere View Post
    Where's part 2?
    Part 2: (you need an account to see links)