6/0
    Mentioned
    1,100 times
    Time Online
    43d 11h 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    @(you need an account to see links)

i think thats where we disagree, after hundreds of years of both being legal (i understand that we are realizing they are worse and technology advances), i think it is too late to do something like that. frankly, its the option of any individual to participate in such activities, nobody is forcing them to. That being said, the thousands of jobs DO justify keeping the industries alive.
    [9/3/12 11:11:58 PM] Joanna: sigh
    [9/3/12 11:12:14 PM] Joanna: john
    [9/3/12 11:12:16 PM] Joanna: is
    [9/3/12 11:12:17 PM] Joanna: perfect

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    11/0
    Mentioned
    87 times
    Time Online
    7d 17h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by Cara View Post
    Alchohol and cigarettes should be illegal more then weed, it's like selling people death.
    But eitherway, whatever is illegal will still get used
    As I said, yes but only to a lesser extent. Unless you think enforcement has literally zero effect on people's tendency to use drugs of any sort?

Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    i think thats where we disagree, after hundreds of years of both being legal (i understand that we are realizing they are worse and technology advances), i think it is too late to do something like that. frankly, its the option of any individual to participate in such activities, nobody is forcing them to. That being said, the thousands of jobs DO justify keeping the industries alive.
    Excellent, it's too late to do anything about it. But that does rather imply that you would do something about it if you could. And in the case of marijuana, there is still something you can do about it, and that is to keep it illegal. By your own admission(and I would agree), it's too late to criminalise alcohol and tobacco. But the same cannot be said of marijuana.
    Last edited by IndigoSunset; 01-19-2012 at 02:06 PM.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    222 times
    Time Online
    N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by IndigoSunset View Post
    As I said, yes but only to a lesser extent. Unless you think enforcement has literally zero effect on people's tendency to use drugs of any sort?
    Some people won't do it since the law and stuff, but I believe 80% of people dont give a fuck what people say they can and can't do so they do as they please. Where i'm originally from, a quarter of the town is underage drinkers or people that use drugs.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    1,100 times
    Time Online
    43d 11h 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    @(you need an account to see links)

i also think that in the case of marijuana (which isnt as bad as either of the other two), the economic benefits would far outweigh the health consequences
    [9/3/12 11:11:58 PM] Joanna: sigh
    [9/3/12 11:12:14 PM] Joanna: john
    [9/3/12 11:12:16 PM] Joanna: is
    [9/3/12 11:12:17 PM] Joanna: perfect

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    11/0
    Mentioned
    87 times
    Time Online
    7d 17h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by Cara View Post
    Some people won't do it since the law and stuff, but I believe 80% of people dont give a fuck what people say they can and can't do so they do as they please. Where i'm originally from, a quarter of the town is underage drinkers or people that use drugs.
    That's still a significant minority of people who will be dissuaded from doing drugs by their illegality though

Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    i also think that in the case of marijuana (which isnt as bad as either of the other two), the economic benefits would far outweigh the health consequences
    I've looked for respectable studies into the economic costs of Marijuana legalisation but I can't seem to find any. Most of them seem to presume that legalisation would remove all the costs of enforcement and incur no extra expenditure when naturally it would need to be regulated, and there would still need to be both enforcement and licensing. Moreover, no-one appears to anticipate the increased health budget in terms of education and also general healthcare which would be needed. I realise it's difficult to find unbiased economic articles on this subject matter, but without that anything that's said about it being good for the economy is little more than hearsay.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    23 times
    Time Online
    N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I think it should be legal... but make it to where they tax the heck out of it >_> I can smell pot everywhere I go near my dorms and it makes me sick (so I guess make it to were you have to be away from buildings like they do with cigarettes now)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    23 times
    Time Online
    8h 48m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I don't understand why it's illegal when alcohol is legal. Alcohol does more harm to your body than marijuana, I'm really neutral on both for personal habits, but I don't know why the government should decide what we can and cannot do with our own bodies, especially if it's not going to actually harm you (at least not that much ) or other people. I think it should be regulated and I think it would really help out our economy. Ron Paul is for ending the war on drugs by legalizing everything lmao, I mean really he has a point, if you want to do it, the fact that it's illegal probably isn't going to stop you.

In any case I think it should be decriminalized unless distributing, why should you be thrown in jail for something you're doing to yourself? For your own protection? Pfftt.
    L A U R E N
    "Live as if you were to die tomorrow.
    Learn as if you were to live forever." ~ Gandhi

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    27/0
    Mentioned
    45 times
    Time Online
    2d 12h 21m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I say yes and no.

Yes, it should be if you use it in an illegal in a public place.

No, you should be allowed to use it if your in a private area. Yea, it may not be good for you, but the person using it knows that.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    I believe that if it were hypothetically legal and hypothetically distributed then that distribution should only be by those who are legally regarded as a seller. No pot head hippie or some stoned child in high school as a distributor but a trained 'professional' should be the distribution source. That means an education of the physical product itself (children in high school knowing slang do not count), maybe some business background to support how it will be sold, and training in how to educate others about the positive and negative side effects of the said marijuana product. So someone who may not be a doctor but who can be professional and be knowledgeable about the product. Education btw means a degree or certificate of some sort saying they are allowed to sell X type of health product, much like a herbalist may have an education in botany or hollistic health etc. The other part is selling it from a licensed location, not the street, not from behind the high school dumpster, but an actual small business location. If it is to be legal like alcohol then it should be sold in such a way, a store. If I am to buy marijuana for a health reason do not want it coming from some high school child's basement or garage, or that of an individual who is clearly involved in other actual illegal drugs. If I were to buy some I would want it from someone who is clearly showing some responsibility in their mannerism of selling the drug, who know about the drug beyond street slang, and who can answer any questions about the product in an educated professional way.