DL/UL
    99/0
    Mentioned
    25 times
    Time Online
    6h 39m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    The story wasn't very entertaining, as I knew it was bias from the beginning 'cause of how the atheist was portrayed as a hyper-aggressive douche in power. Seriously, it's an offensive stereotype that our kind have fought against for generation!
    I sincerely wish I could find one of these stories that portrays both arguments accurately and thoroughly without the looming presence of bias. That's not to say that the theist's argument can be won, though. If argued properly, the latter guy's argument degenerates to "faith is all I need," which is (obnoxiously so) an "entirely valid point." This results in a pretty unsatisfying conversation, as neither the atheist nor the theist betters the other's philosophy. That said, I'll sit this one out.

Have a good day, people!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Yoku For This Useful Post:

Drew (01-14-2012)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    27/0
    Mentioned
    32 times
    Time Online
    N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    well for everything you have to say against christian they have everything to say back to you. and that's debated years before any of us are born. the way i see it, i have my own theories, but if it's contradicting to someone's belief, i'd keep it to myself.

mostly when people talk about religion they are normally hiding behind keyboards or drunk, and that's a fact.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    11/0
    Mentioned
    87 times
    Time Online
    7d 17h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoku View Post
    The story wasn't very entertaining, as I knew it was bias from the beginning 'cause of how the atheist was portrayed as a hyper-aggressive douche in power. Seriously, it's an offensive stereotype that our kind have fought against for generation!
    Though to be fair, I'm an atheist and I get pissed at the hyper-aggressive atheists which do exist and seem to be well-covered in the Media. Richard Dawkins for example is probably the most well-known Atheist in the UK and he's an absolute tool. I don't believe in god but if others want to, why should I try and make them feel stupid for doing so?(Unless it's being used as an agenda to push through 'moral' things into law ofc)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    54/0
    Mentioned
    83 times
    Time Online
    13d 20h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    Quote Originally Posted by IndigoSunset View Post
    Though to be fair, I'm an atheist and I get pissed at the hyper-aggressive atheists which do exist and seem to be well-covered in the Media. Richard Dawkins for example is probably the most well-known Atheist in the UK and he's an absolute tool. I don't believe in god but if others want to, why should I try and make them feel stupid for doing so?(Unless it's being used as an agenda to push through 'moral' things into law ofc)
    Which is a fair enough statement. However in this scenario the christian calling the teacher a preacher is wrong. The teacher is teaching not preaching and teaching regardless of their personal religious belief. This dumb scenario/statement/metaphor/thing has been fabricated to make the teacher look bad and its just so freaking sad I want to rip my eyes out ;_____;

For one professors or lectures of science don't go on tangents about philosophy. They don't get paid enough for that.
    Generally they are educated and don't go on petty debates with students.
    Its just so freaking corny and sappy and...blargh.
    Last edited by Chi; 01-14-2012 at 07:41 AM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    11/0
    Mentioned
    87 times
    Time Online
    7d 17h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    [QUOTE=Mouse;2413]

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    Though to be fair, I'm an atheist and I get pissed at the hyper-aggressive atheists which do exist
    I agree with that. I am a person of pure scientific thought but hyper-aggressive atheists just make a bad name for those like myself who are atheists but are not about to babble on about how everyone is a moron for even considering having a believe different than my own. It is just like hyper-aggressive religious individuals, they make a bad name for less extreme religious peoples who are just carrying out their day and if someone wants to hear their word then they will sit down with them but not criticize someone for having a different opinion. Not all atheists are going to shove a book from Darwin down someone's throat just like not all religious individuals will shove The Bible onto someone. In my opinion, they key to good debates is to know both sides well enough to respect the other for their knowledge of the subject. You may not agree with the points but that is the point to the debate, going in blindly with an outlandish bias serves no purpose to the collective argument other than to make that individual seem like a fool.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    45 times
    Time Online
    6d 21h 47m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    I have nothing against people who are religious or believe in God.

I just don't like people who use the Bible to justify their hate for me (since I'm gay) even though they haven't even met me yet. The Bible is against homosexuality like it's against murder. But anyone that is religious or non religious knows that murder is wrong, it's unethical and unmoral. I knew that murder was wrong when I was kid, I didn't need to get my morals from the Bible. The same cannot be said about homosexuality.

I used to volunteer at a Christian nursing home a few times a week after school since it was so close to my high school. Everyone was really nice and they all told me how they appreciated my work. One day, this old man asked me if I had a girlfriend and I said no, I have a boyfriend. He proceeded to tell the staff that it bothered him that I was working there so I stopped going to avoid further conflicts. Now this is the same old man who I used to play Chess with or read to, that took a liking to me. It's a shame that my sexual orientation apparently interfered with my volunteer work.

(Though to make it fair, the staff did send me an apology letter a few weeks later, but no, I was no longer welcomed... lol?)

So assuming there is a God, why did he make me different than 98% of everyone else in the world. If it's truly a test, why is it so difficult, and why are only a select few chosen to take it?
    The way I see it is, if there is a God, he put gays on Earth to test those who claim to be loyal to him. If you follow God's true message of love, then you will not hate on your lgbt brothers and sisters.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    52 times
    Time Online
    N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    This is really old but the Student does make a good point. He uses the Teachers own logic and turns it against him at the end. Great argument