7/0
    Mentioned
    16 times
    Time Online
    1d 10h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A

[tutorial] Tasker: Take your Android phone to new heights

Tasker is an android app that allows users to create specific tasks to execute when certain conditions are met. These can be events, such as putting a phone in a dock, plugging it in, or getting a text message or phone call. It can also be a certain time period or certain days of the week or even a GPS location. There are many other options that are possible, and allow a pretty useful automation of your Android phone. You can create tasks to edit many settings in your phone and do many things with your phone.

This application has been by far the absolutely best application I have ever purchased for my phone. It costs a few dollars and is worth every penny. However, if you wanna to try it for yourself go to the developer's page, there's a link at the bottom of the page where there's a 14 day trial. Be aware, that there is a steep learning curve but once you understand it, it's very useful.

Profiles
    A profile is a list of items to execute. This starts with a context which is the item which starts the execution. There can be more than one which is much more complicated and I'll go over that later. To create a profile, hit new and select a context such as time, application, event, or state. Once you have selected a context, you can add other items to actually execute once the context is reached.

Tasks
    Tasks are small reusable profiles. The main use for these is, for example, a airplane mode toggle. One of Tasker's features is that you can create links to tasks you create so you can use them on the fly and they don't have to be programmed into a context. I have three shortcuts on my home screens, display backlight full/off and airplane toggle.

Exit Tasks
    Exit tasks are an additional component to profiles which are executed when the profile stops and the context is no longer applicable. For example, when I plug my phone into my dock between certain hours, it turns wifi on, display off, and silent mode on, and when i remove it from the dock, it turns wifi off, display on and silent mode off. These are very useful and should usually be on a profile.

Step by Step
    Now that you understand the basics of how Tasker works, I thought I'd share with you how to go about creating both a simple and a complicated profile to help you learn some tips and uses of some advanced techniques for profiles.

GPS on Map Open
    This profile will turn on GPS when the map application is open and turns it off when closed. This conserves battery life so that the GPS isn't needlessly searching for location. This is very useful for smartphones since they have notoriously poor battery life.
    1. Create a new profile, name it whatever you choose.
    2. Choose Application > Maps (<b>note</b>: you can choose more than one application, such as Car Mode or another app which uses GPS)
    3. Now add a step (Misc > GPS > On)
    4. Now add your exit task (Misc > GPS > Off)
      [img]

Music Popup on Headphone Plugin
    This profile will pop up a list of music applications when you plug in your headphones. From there you can choose which application to open.
    1. First create a new profile, name it whatever you like. Mine is named Music
    2. Choose State > Headset Plugged. There is a type selection, which shows with mic, without mic, or any. I've chosen any since i don't have any headsets with mics but if you want to create a separate task for headphones with a mic, choose without.
    3. Now, create a new step for each and every application by choosing: App > Load App. I've chosen the stock music application, and pandora.</li>
    4. There's a button in the bottom right corner of two tools crossed. Click this and change Task Type to Menu, and if you wish change the other options such as Timeout and Background.
    5. Press done and apply and your task will now work when you plug in your headphones. However, I've gone a little further by adding an exit task for when i unplug them, to go home.
    6. To add an exit task, go to the list of profiles and click on the right side of the profile where it lists the steps.
    7. Choose Add Exit Task and continue normally.</li>

Night Dock

This is the most complicated as it uses multiple contexts, which to fully unearth the potential of Tasker, must be mastered. If you don't own the media dock, you can substitute the Dock for AC power and have it open your alternate dock program or have it open the Clock app.
    1. First, add the context State > Docked. The other contexts will be Time contexts but we'll get there after.
    2. The steps are:
      • Phone > Silent Mode > On
      • Net > Wifi > On
      • Display > Display Brightness > Level 0

3. Exit Task:
      • Phone > Silent Mode > Off
      • Net > Wifi > Off
      • Display > Display Brightness > Level 150

4. The other contexts are up to you. I'm a student so I currently have 3 tasks that are almost identical. One for the weekdays Monday through Thursday, one for Friday, and one for the Weekends, all with different time contexts depending on my class schedule and when i wake up on weekends.

Download Link

(you need an account to see links)

Resources

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jkingaround For This Useful Post:

Bot (07-27-2012),npm (11-14-2012),razkull (08-09-2012)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    32/0
    Mentioned
    50 times
    Time Online
    18d 11h 39m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    Wow, thats a big guide. Im bookmarking it so I can read it later.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    38/0
    Mentioned
    69 times
    Time Online
    4h 39m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Amazing guide, deserves better views. Thanks a lot!

Harry Potter
    We don't tolerate guide stealing.

Do your own work.

Edit: Actually is guide, thanks for clearing it up (:
    Last edited by clraik; 07-27-2012 at 01:25 AM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Harry Potter For This Useful Post:

Cody. (07-26-2012),Ronith (07-26-2012)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    16 times
    Time Online
    1d 10h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    woaaahh haha. sorry about the confusion.. it is my actual guide, i have a personal website that i wrote it for in the first place then up'ed it here.

interested in feedback as this app is probably my favorite android app EVER and makes my phone have super powers!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    20/0
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    13m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Noice!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to razkull For This Useful Post: