Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Abortions - Pro Choice or Pro Life?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    11/0
    Mentioned
    87 times
    Time Online
    7d 17h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    I'm Pro Choice but tbh I don't like the labelling. Being pro-choice suggests you are somehow anti-life which is not true at all. I simply don't believe that a small ball of cells is more alive than, for example, a fly which I would have no qualms about killing.

Also, without wanting to make this too political, I think this is another example of great hypocrisy of right-wing people generally. They want less interference in people's lives but they also want the Government to prevent people from making a choice about their bodies. (I am of course generalising but, I believe, not unfairly)

I think the point I'd like to make is: People have different morals. There are some common principles amongst us nowadays, that we shouldn't have slavery for example. But there are lots of areas in which people disagree. And I think it is entirely arrogant for someone to think that they know what is best for someone else. And that is why I think the choice should rest with the woman. If a pregnant woman gets pregnant but is against abortion, she doesn't have to have an abortion, the decision rests with her. She retains the right to choose. And for me, feminism is at heart about the freedom of choice. If we ban abortions, we take a regressive step in the struggle for gender equality.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 times
    Time Online
    N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Pro-life.
    Have you seen abortion pictures thats horrible so much guys
    I a always against abortion^_^

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    45 times
    Time Online
    6d 21h 47m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by Myke View Post
    Pro-life.
    Have you seen abortion pictures thats horrible so much guys
    I a always against abortion^_^
    I can confirm that a lot of abortion pictures are either fake or of late pregnancies. My Aunt had an abortion before and she said those pictures look nothing like what she saw.

Also, if I'm pretty sure a lot of pro-life people have had eggs before. Eating an egg is like killing an innocent chick before it was born, yet people have no problem ordering a few at iHop's.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Azn For This Useful Post:

Kyra (01-04-2012)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    25 times
    Time Online
    1d 21h 48m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    My mother's friend got pregnant when she was fifteen years old. And her mother took her for an abortion but she was 5 months in and she would have to give birth first and then they kill the baby. At the time, her mother was like "You can't do that." and she was like "Uh, yeah, I totally can!" and her mother kept assuring "No, you can't. You are never gonna be able to live with yourself. You cannot do that!"

So she never got it done.

Now, if you speak to my mother's friend, she'll tell you that she's "so glad she didn't get an abortion." and that she listened to her mom. She said that at the time all she could think about is how she didn't wanna be a mother, but her mother was right. Having birth and then killing it would have been on her shoulders forever.

So with that being said, I believe there should be a limit to where you can get an abortion :3 If you have to pop the baby out first, no. It should be illegal.

There's nothing more that I could have asked for � except for it to last forever,

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    22/0
    Mentioned
    133 times
    Time Online
    19d 22h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    I'm Pro Life. I don't agree on abortions at all. Yes even though its a choice, we have free will to do what we chose but its still wrong. The only way i would be okay with abortion is if it was because of rape. The ONLY WAY. Everyone that has been educated on sex correctly knows the consequences of it, if you have sex there is a chance of possible conception, which the responsibly you're taking when you spread those legs. Protected AND unprotected, you have the chance to get pregnant, now you have a human life inside of you. What happened if majority of the population believe in abortion, well then half of the people here wouldn't be alive. Even if it is a baby, its still alive, and unfortunately they cannot protect themselves, the don't have a say on whether to live or die, so i don't think its okay. Well what if you don't have money to properly suppose a child? That's your fault for spreading your legs then! If you cant suppose the baby, give it up for adoption! There are plenty of people out there that cannot conceive and want a child. I also don't suppose it because its not up to 2 people to make the decision on abortion, its only 1. For instance, what if the father wanted to keep the child and take care of it, but the mother, the person who is holding the child, doesn't want to, she can just kill it even if he wanted it. I don't find that fair at all. We all have the right to live. What's the difference between getting an abortion and killing a born, living infant? I mean if abortions are okay then why don't we just kill babies? In both cases they cant talk, they cant think for themselves, they are the same as they are inside of you with the exception that they are not as developed. We don't go around killing babies, people go to jail for doing that, so why is it okay for us to abort them? If you don't want to get pregnant, take birth control and double wrap it. If you're that scared then take the plan b pill. Would it help you if the fetus was killed by gun point?
    Some people that i've known that have gotten an abortion tell me that they weren't ready yet blah blah they would have ruined their lives blah blah couldn't enjoy life...ohreally? Well alteast you have that option to live is all i have to say, you would rather kill because you were irresponsible and careless than to own up to your mistake and do the right thing and take care of it.

Well what if a 14 year old got pregnant, more than likely she doesnt have a job to take care of it and she doesnt have the proper education, the baby is going to go through a hard life because a child is taking care of a child, so now do you think its okay?
    Nope, i still think its wrong. I think the girl needs to go through it, and as for raising the child, i think the parent then should step up and help. Why? Well if the parents were doing their jobs correctly, they would know that their 14 year old was out with her legs open, and if they didn't then i blame the parents fully for not properly educating their child on the repercussions of their actions and that they are letting their child out without knowing what they are doing.
    I am not proud of it but i started having sex at 14, but i was smart, i knew what would happen, and thats why i was safe and careful about what i did. I've heard that im not smart and that im actually stupid for having sex at a young age, but guess what, im 20, soon to be 21, and im not pregnant. If i was to have gotten knocked up at a young age, that would have been my fault, i would have gotten a job, kept going to school, and done whatever i could have to my best ability, which is what everyone should do instead of getting an abortion. If you knew pregnancy was a chance of happening during sex, that was the risk you took to have your 30 minutes or however long of pleasure. I don't think anyone should die just because someone wanted a quick fuck, if you're scared to get pregnant, there are other options of enjoyment, like what what in the butt? or objects that dont knock you up. If you want the real thing then be ready to accept the consequences of what could happen.

( if i repeated myself im sorry lol, i tend to do that when i type, i ramble, a lot....)

Infamous Joe is you.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    45 times
    Time Online
    6d 21h 47m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    @Bianca
    Please don't take offense to this in anyway, I'm just stating my opinion.
    I don't care what anybody says about safe sex, when you decide to have sex, you risk a pregnancy. Nothing is 100% effective besides abstinence. Your parents can teach you all they want but ultimately, it is your decision to have sex. Also, it is extremely hard to find a job at 14, especially with this economy, you would probably be working under the table and less than minimum wage. If you get pregnant at the age of 14, the responsible thing to do is to get an abortion... If you decide to go to college, there is no way you can work to pay for college and support that child, while getting all your studies done. To put your parents through all of that nonsense is also not the right way to go about it. They have enough on their plates dealing with their own children, they can't just also raise a grandchild. Chances are if you are 14, your parents are still working...

With all that being said...
    I would like to say that I'm Pro Choice but I'm anti abortion - meaning if I were a female, I would not have an abortion. I would probably give my child up for adoption and hopefully I can meet him or her one day and explain to them what happened. However, that is my life and I feel as if I shouldn't have control over someoneelse's life, therefore I am Pro Choice so I can give women the choice to decide whether or not to abort.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    54/0
    Mentioned
    83 times
    Time Online
    13d 20h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    That is a bit much. "What happened if majority of the population believe in abortion, well then half of the people here wouldn't be alive."
    That is a harsh and critical statement that you are making with no references. Just because abortion facilities are available doesn't mean everyone is going to rush out to them. If anything having safe abortion centers and an understanding would decrease the chances of death to teenage girls who go and get back alley abortions because they are ashamed to go to a proper facility.

Have you ever imagined a scenario where a teenage boy and girl were too scared to use a condom because god (and the pope) said its sinful? Whose fault is it? Not everyone is exposed to the same sexual education. Do you know in some countries people are told that sperm will cure disease? That having unprotected sex cures aids?

As an example, latino immigrants in the United States often face cultural barriers to condom use. A study on female HIV prevention published in the Journal of Sex Health Research asserts that Latino women often lack the attitudes needed to negotiate safe sex due to traditional gender-role norms in the Latino community, and may be afraid to bring up the subject of condom use with their partners. Women who participated in the study often reported that because of the general machismo subtly encouraged in latino culture, their male partners would be angry or possibly violent at the woman's suggestion that they use condoms.[120] A similar phenomenon has been noted in a survey of low-income American black women; the women in this study also reported a fear of violence at the suggestion to their male partners that condoms be used.[121]
    Perhaps even more troubling is the apparent fact of a telephone survey conducted by Rand Corporation and Oregon State University and published in the Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes that showed that belief in AIDS conspiracy theories among United States black men is linked to rates of condom use. As conspiracy beliefs about AIDS grow in a given sector of these black men, consistent condom use drops in that same sector. Female use of condoms, interestingly, was not similarly affected.[122]
    In the African continent, condom promotion in some areas has been impeded by anti-condom campaigns by some Muslim[123] and Catholic clerics.[101] Among the Maasai in Tanzania, condom use is hampered by an aversion to "wasting" sperm, which is given sociocultural importance beyond reproduction. Sperm is believed to be an "elixir" to women and to have beneficial health effects. Maasai women believe that, after conceiving a child, they must have sexual intercourse repeatedly so that the additional sperm aids the child's development. Frequent condom use is also considered by some Maasai to cause impotence.[124] Some women in Africa believe that condoms are "for prostitutes" and that respectable women should not use them.[123] A few clerics even promote the idea that condoms are deliberately laced with HIV.[125]

Its not all flowers and peaches for everyone. That is why choice is so important, because they obviously had no choice during the sex (and possibly their entire relationship) to use a condom and therefore safe abortion clinics, extensive sexual education and easy access to birth control should be available.

Also people don't go around killing babies. Unless they are murders. As I stated before for someone to be classified as living they need to have consciousness.A living child has consciousness, anything with a functioning brain has consciousness. A brain dead patient does not have consciousness - thus brain death. A fetus under the 21st week of gestation does not have consciousness because it does not have a functioning brain.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    22/0
    Mentioned
    133 times
    Time Online
    19d 22h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    Quote Originally Posted by Azn View Post
    @Bianca
    Please don't take offense to this in anyway, I'm just stating my opinion.
    I don't care what anybody says about safe sex, when you decide to have sex, you risk a pregnancy. Nothing is 100% effective besides abstinence. Your parents can teach you all they want but ultimately, it is your decision to have sex. Also, it is extremely hard to find a job at 14, especially with this economy, you would probably be working under the table and less than minimum wage. If you get pregnant at the age of 14, the responsible thing to do is to get an abortion... If you decide to go to college, there is no way you can work to pay for college and support that child, while getting all your studies done. To put your parents through all of that nonsense is also not the right way to go about it. They have enough on their plates dealing with their own children, they can't just also raise a grandchild. Chances are if you are 14, your parents are still working...
    Lol its quite fine, its the debate section, we may have different opinions, i dont expect everyone to think like me, so no offense taken
    With that whole thing you quoted, i'm only going by my experience so thats why i say that. At 14 i went to live with my mom because i didnt want to deal with my dad's rules. I was being a rebellious teenage. I personally think teenagers need a lot of guidance so they don't walk down the wrong path, but with my mom i never got any. She let me do what I wanted to do whenever I wanted to do it. Now lets say that there are other parents like this, which there are i highly doubt my sad excuse for a mother is the only person who neglects their child, and they let their teenager run free and do whatever and she gets knocked up? Okay, yes it is the teenagers fault, but they are still a child themselves. If the parent was correctly taking care of their own child, none of that would happen. How do you think half of teenage pregnancy happens? The parents should have been paying more attention and or putting a lock down on them, but there are too many parents out there that don't give a shit about what their child does. If you're 14 and getting knocked up already, there is a problem...your 14 year old shouldn't even be out like that to get pregnant, they are either in like 8th grade or a freshman in high school. It's not right to abort the baby because the parents didn't do their job. You're right, the parents do have enough on their plates dealing with their own children, so teenage pregnancy shouldn't happen and if it does i completely and entirely blame the parent. Now once you're 18, thats another ball field, they are an adult.

I mean there is that like 5% i can disagree with myself on this because no matter how good your parenting is, your child could be devious and still go behind your back and lie to you constantly and you might never know, ultimately yes it their decision to have sex, but like i said, the parent should be there 150% with you while you're growing up so that doesn't happen. If your child is 18 and gets knocked up, well then that is their fault, they are legally an adult and they should be making adult decisions.

I'm not sure this made sense lol, it sounds a lot better in my head.

Infamous Joe is you.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    If the parent was correctly taking care of their own child, none of that would happen.
    An individual with a damaged past cannot lay blame on all parents as the route cause of teenage pregnancy just because they have endured a harmful parental relationship themselves. Like you said there are plenty of good parents out there who guide their children, loved their children, and cared for children and yet their little Missy may still decide she is mature enough to go around spreading her legs for the boys at a party. Those parents should not be absolutely without a doubt required to take care of that baby because their child wanted to be a rebel. That child should take care of their child, they chose to have sex and if that baby is to be born then that young child should get a job to pay for their new baby. But the teens that bother me the most are the ones that treat a child like some bump in the road with the attitude of "whatever it does not matter if I get pregnant mommy will pay for everything!".

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    22/0
    Mentioned
    133 times
    Time Online
    19d 22h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    If anything having safe abortion centers and an understanding would decrease the chances of death to teenage girls who go and get back alley abortions because they are ashamed to go to a proper facility.
    They would have nothing to be ASHAMED unless they knew what they were doing is wrong. Like i said previously, that teenage girl should have thought about the consequences before hand.

Have you ever imagined a scenario where a teenage boy and girl were too scared to use a condom because god (and the pope) said its sinful? Whose fault is it? Not everyone is exposed to the same sexual education.
    Okay, lets say that they we're to scared to because its sinful....lets also say they were educated on sex slightly and they know that having sex has a chance of conception...then they shouldn't have had the sex to begin with. I don't think they were forced to have sex either so they had the free will to NOT HAVE SEX. So no, that is still their fault.

Latino women often lack the attitudes needed to negotiate safe sex due to traditional gender-role norms in the Latino community, and may be afraid to bring up the subject of condom use with their partners. Women who participated in the study often reported that because of the general machismo subtly encouraged in latino culture, their male partners would be angry or possibly violent at the woman's suggestion that they use condoms.
    This is in the United States....you're too afraid to us a condom? If you are in fear that your partner will be angry and may or may not be violent with you, leave him? Thats still no excuse to have an abortion. Grow a pair of balls and leave the relationship. What is this Latino community...we're all human right? Since when did race make a difference.

A similar phenomenon has been noted in a survey of low-income American black women; the women in this study also reported a fear of violence at the suggestion to their male partners that condoms be used.
    Once again with the race thing, we're all human so i don't think black, white, asain, hispanic have anything to do with this. Once again, if you fear of violence, leave. These are surveys of the people in the USA, where we have should have plenty of education ( note that i am aware some people still do not receive the proper education still ).
    But with that being said, if people arent receiving the proper education, then why are we allowing them to abort?

In the African continent, condom promotion in some areas has been impeded by anti-condom campaigns by some Muslim[123] and Catholic clerics.[101] Among the Maasai in Tanzania, condom use is hampered by an aversion to "wasting" sperm, which is given sociocultural importance beyond reproduction. Sperm is believed to be an "elixir" to women and to have beneficial health effects. Maasai women believe that, after conceiving a child, they must have sexual intercourse repeatedly so that the additional sperm aids the child's development. Frequent condom use is also considered by some Maasai to cause impotence.[124] Some women in Africa believe that condoms are "for prostitutes" and that respectable women should not use them.[123] A few clerics even promote the idea that condoms are deliberately laced with HIV.[125]
    Okay, so if we KNOW this is going on, why hasn't anyone properly educated them? They are allowing people to think this, if that is their belief then so be it, but don't allow them to have abortions. Plain and simple. I don't care religion you have, its still not right, plan and simple.

therefore safe abortion clinics, extensive sexual education and easy access to birth control should be available.
    they are available.....spermicide, birth control, condoms, sexual education classes are available. That's why I don't believe in abortion, we have been given tools to prevent pregnancy from happening, but people arent using them, that's not anyones fault but theirs. Okay you said that these Africans believe that sperm is good, then take birth control, if they have abortion clinics to their access, then i think they can get ahold of some birth control.

As I stated before for someone to be classified as living they need to have consciousness.A living child has consciousness, anything with a functioning brain has consciousness. A brain dead patient does not have consciousness - thus brain death. A fetus under the 21st week of gestation does not have consciousness because it does not have a functioning brain.
    Okay so im going to guess you are putting the brain dead patient in the same category as the undeveloped fetus? If thats the case, then why don't we just kill them too? I mean its one less person living (technically not living) in this world and obviously they arent doing anything but taking up space....but thats wrong to do, we dont go around killing brain dead people so why does that mean we can go around killing fetuses? Undeveloped fetus or not, conscious or not its still human. Coma patients, i consider them brain dead, they cant do anything, so why dont we just unplug them all then. A human is a human, no matter in size.

---------- Post added at 02:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:45 AM ----------

That child should take care of their child, they chose to have sex and if that baby is to be born then that young child should get a job to pay for their new baby. But the teens that bother me the most are the ones that treat a child like some bump in the road with the attitude of "whatever it does not matter if I get pregnant mommy will pay for everything!".
    I'm not sure if what i said got mixed up but what i meant was the child should take care of their own child yes, if the child goes out and wants to be rebellious regardless if the parent had correct discipline then the parent shouldn't have to take care of the child, but if you have a parent that allows their child to be rebellious because they want to slack off at being a parent then i think they should help, or atleast help along the way of a safe delivery and then put the baby up for adoption.

Some of these pro-life arguments sound like they are saying that child bearing should be a punishment because it's the "mother's damn fault for spreading her legs." First of all, that's pretty sexist considering it takes TWO people. People have sex. It feels good, it's natural. Secondly, being forced to raise a kid is not ideal.
    It does take two people, but im assuming we're talking about two people having consensual sex, they both know the possibilities of what could happen. If you're going to have sex with someone, that's you're choice, but if you have for a doubt that the other person wouldn't take of the child if it did happen, then dont do it if thats what you're afraid of. Yes people have sex, im aware of that, but im aware of contraception, it doesnt work 100% of the time, and this is the chance you take with having sex. Thats no excuse for anything, i still dont believe in killing a baby just to get a good lay in. And killing a baby is ideal?

Adoption isn't an easy choice to make either. Once the baby pops out, it's human instinct to change your mind and want to keep the baby. I mean, you're be taking care of something living inside your body for three quarters of a year. Not very many people would have an easy time giving their child away after that, even if they know they won't be able to care for it properly. So to save the grief, it's better to just not let it happen in the first place.
    Okay so what if they do decide to take care of their own child? That's a bad thing? i'm not saying that forcing someone to take care of a child is the way to go, believe me its not, so instead of letting that happen, have safer sex? I highly doubt that all of these pregnancies that are happening are from faulty protection. Its from no protection. Well it doesn't feel as good with it on so i dont want to wear it, well then you take the risk of getting pregnant, use birth control then. We have all these pregnancies from basically lack of protection, i dont think its right that a fetus has to die because someone didnt wanna wrap it before they tapped it.
    Last edited by Victoria; 01-02-2012 at 02:19 AM.

Infamous Joe is you.