PDA

View Full Version : Religion is a detriment to society

Eggy
12-29-2011, 07:44 PM
I truly believe that religion is one of the most evil creations of man. The fact that any religion is relevant in todays society is absurd. Discuss.

Evelsaint
12-29-2011, 08:00 PM
First and foremost, I'm an atheist but even then I can say Religion is not evil. It is a faith, the simple act of believing brings about profound strength and unity.

To blame religion is similar to all your personal problems on society.

You attribute events that happen to you personally as a result of entities and social constructs that appear to be negative.

Religion is believing and there is nothing wrong in that. Most people don't eat, live, and sleep religion. They merely use it as a guideline.

Religion is not evil. Evil comes from Humanity.

Don't get the two mixed up.

Slasher
12-29-2011, 08:06 PM
In the past, men caused a lot of wars and violence because of religion. Today, it is still true for many countries. But I'm asking myself, is it religion or men interpretation that it causing all the pain?

No where, I heard that Bible or God said to men go and kill the ones that aren't in the same religion as you.
No more than 70 years ago, women weren't able to vote here, in Qu

Eggy
12-29-2011, 08:15 PM
The bible does command you to kill non believers though, as well as adulterers and disobedient children.

Steve
12-29-2011, 08:19 PM
[Only registered and activated users can see links]

Drew
12-29-2011, 08:23 PM
It's not religion itself that's evil. It's the crazy fucks that interpret it based on the way they see things that are evil. Most muslims are not evil or fanatical, they're just doing their thing, believing what they want to believe. However, many Americans believe muslims are crazy Arabic-speakers that want to blow up the US in holy war. Why? Because a VERY small minority of extremists believe that the Jihad is the way to do things.

To reiterate Evelsaint's point: Don't blame religion, blame the people that take religion out of proportion.

bamag
12-29-2011, 09:06 PM
Sahih Bukhari Hadith Volume 4, Book 52, Number 176: Narrated by 'Abdullah bin 'Umar: Allah's Apostle said, "You (i.e. Muslims) will fight with the Jews till some of them will hide behind stones. The stones will (betray them) saying, 'O 'Abdullah (i.e. slave of Allah)! There is a Jew hiding behind me; so kill him.'" Sahih Bukhari Hadith Volume 4, Book 52, Number 177: Narrated by Abu Huraira: Allah's Apostle said, "The Hour will not be established until you fight with the Jews, and the stone behind which a Jew will be hiding will say. "O Muslim! There is a Jew hiding behind me, so kill him."

Qur'an 2:191: And kill them wherever you find them, and drive them out from whence they drove you out, and persecution is severer than slaughter, and do not fight with them at the Sacred Mosque until they fight with you in it, but if they do fight you, then slay them; such is the recompense of the unbelievers.

Qur'an 4:089: They desire that you should disbelieve as they have disbelieved, so that you might be (all) alike; therefore take not from among them friends until they fly (their homes) in Allah's way; but if they turn back, then seize them and kill them wherever you find them, and take not from among them a friend or a helper.

Qur'an 4:091: You will find others who desire that they should be safe from you and secure from their own people; as often as they are sent back to the mischief they get thrown into it headlong; therefore if they do not withdraw from you, and (do not) offer you peace and restrain their hands, then seize them and kill them wherever you find them; and against these We have given you a clear authority.

Qur'an 9:005: So when the sacred months have passed away, then slay the idolaters wherever you find them, and take them captives and besiege them and lie in wait for them in every ambush, then if they repent and keep up prayer and pay the poor-rate, leave their way free to them; surely Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.

Qur'an 17:033: And do not kill any one whom Allah has forbidden, except for a just cause, and whoever is slain unjustly, We have indeed given to his heir authority, so let him not exceed the just limits in slaying; surely he is aided.

There's plenty of stuff like that in the Bible too. Like others have said before, religion is fine as long as you aren't extreme in withholding what your religion says. What happened on 9/11 happened because of extremists that take their religion way too seriously. As long as you don't go around hurting others because of your religion, its fine.

Azn
12-29-2011, 09:16 PM
I do not believe religion is evil at all, however, those who choose to follow religion blindly or those who are extremists, annoy me. Religion is suppose to push people towards love rather than hatred. God said to not judge others and to love thy neighbors, yet a lot of religious people bash the lgbt community, atheists, etc.

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." -Mohandas Gandhi

Slasher
12-29-2011, 09:20 PM
Fu

Taking out my argument about Bible not telling men to use violence. But still thinking that religion is an excuse to some people's acts.

Mikey
12-29-2011, 09:57 PM
It wasn't created by man was created by god just had men write it.

Ben
12-30-2011, 02:46 PM
Please remember that this thread is in the debate zone. You are subject to the rules in this section. Furthermore, please view the rules thread if you don't remember them. Also, please view this thread for reference.

f4xf0x2
12-30-2011, 03:58 PM
It irritates me that many "believers" are so ignorant and become judgmental as a consequence of it. I don't have a problem with religion directly, but when a person starts to say things like, "well gay people shouldn't be gay, because that's not what I believe in" then it starts to become a huge issue. These people seem to think the world revolves around them, and that their belief is the only one that's right (no matter what kind of scientific evidence/basic common logic they're provided with) and that is my major concern. It is also true (though I suppose debatable like all things) that most major wars were started based on religion and differences of beliefs.

If someone wants to believe something I'm absolutely fine with that, provided they don't try to share it with everyone else, and don't go around promoting hate and discrimination. But, like someone else already mentioned, the problem lies within the people themselves, and not the actual religion. There are -plenty- of people out there who don't believe in any particular religion but discriminate against ethnicity/sexual orientation/gender. It's a problem of the ages and I doubt it will ever see a full end.

Chi
12-31-2011, 03:01 AM
Yes and No. I'm divided on this. Some important events in history and people would not have had occurred if it wasn't for religion...

However! I think religion is detrimental in 3rd world countries (and some 2nd and 1st world countries but mainly just 3rd) for a couple of reasons. And for the following i am talking about all religions and all gods. From witch-doctors to zeus and ra to yahweh. No one can ever prove that any god exist therefore they must all be legit gods (yay for zeus. the one and only true god amiright?)

Religion is a form of suppression, especially towards women.
Based on superstition - e.g raping a virgin will cure a man of aids
Used immorally and incorrectly -e.g using the concept of god to punish people now (do this or spend eternity in hell/limbo/punishment)
Also a form of mental abuse.
Usually restricts or interferes with other laws that society may need.
Restricts education
Creates an us and them mentality (we believe that whilst they believe that, they are more likely to be wrong and we are right etc).
Discriminates.

I think in a developing country religion just gets in the way and without it, i think some problems (not all, some) could be avoided and resolved.

Azn
12-31-2011, 09:30 PM
I think you have a good split of people when it comes to whether religion positively or negatively effects them. I love people who are moral and ethical and choose to live an honest and open lifestyle without using the Bible to discriminate or hurt anyone else. By open, I mean that they are willing to see the points of views of others. Then you have the people who take religion to hate other people. They cannot get past the point that other people are have different religions or have no religion at all. So religion can do a positive or a negative thing, but it depends on the person.

Purple
01-02-2012, 10:41 AM
Religion is what turns the world

without religion, the world be nothing

lets face it.

IndigoSunset
01-02-2012, 12:04 PM
I don't believe that faith is necessarily a bad thing. I'm an atheist, but I describe myself as a passive atheist- I don't believe but if you want to then that's fine.

I think it's important to distinguish between faith(belief in some sort of God) and religion(as an institution used to control people). I think the problem lies not in the basic principles of most Western religions(Turn the other cheek, treat others as you would wish to be treated, love thy neighbour etc) but in its manipulation and use as an oppressive force by various Religious Institutions. For example, the Catholic Church's continued vilification of Condoms and the way that has facilitated the rapid spread of AIDS across the world.

Flash
01-10-2012, 12:17 AM
How can you say religion is absurd??? The basis of almost every religion is equality, peace, justice, love, etc...

I dont know of a religion where the main qualities consist of things like killing, hatred, etc...

What is a detriment to society is the fact that there are stupid extremists....extremists of religious groups who are hostile people are also detriments. This isnt because of the religion. Its because the stupid people dont interpret things correctly...or follow the religion how it should be followed. Anybody can follow/believe in whatever they want, it isnt a big deal. What is a big deal is when stupid people get involved in things where conflicting ideas may occur...like religion. They become all extreme and ignorant and become a threat.

simply ignore the stupids of the world and life will be great.

inuse123
01-16-2012, 12:32 AM
Religion isn't evil. I can't imagine living a life without some kind of belief of an afterlife or some kind of hopeful security blanket- because that's what religion really is, a security blanket. The evil in the world doesn't come from religion; it comes from humans and what they choose to do with it. They can choose to starts wars (Crusades) or start movements (Gandhi) or choose to use religion for power (modern day political Islam). People do crazy things with religion... insult, command, control, instill fear. It's become a power source, but it's the humans' fault not religion's.

Lauren
01-16-2012, 02:46 AM

This is slightly off-topic on the religion violence you guys are currently discussing but I wanted to post this because I agree with the message this is trying to send, it doesn't do it exactly very well because I think it intended to speak to atheists when it probably spoke to Christians, but I thought I'd share it anyway. He's pretty much saying he dislikes when people put a face on for church and he dislikes organized religion but loves Jesus and what he believes in. I believe people have taken the core fundamentals of religion out of what they believe in by interpreting things how THEY want instead of how it was intended and that's what causes the "evil".

Rainbowpie
01-16-2012, 03:01 AM

^^ I totally had the same idea, lol. :D

I believe that religion is necessary. We are the only animals on the planet that for see our inevitable demise. The only animals that are haunted by that threat day in and day out from the beginning to the very end. In order to keep from being in that state of 'fight or flight' constantly we have to have something to alleviate that fear - and even though religion can't solve our problems it takes great steps to comfort the fearful and quell that undeniable terror that would otherwise destroy us.
Now, I know that not every atheist is this way, but it seems like most are stressed, depressed, and extremely angry. All the time. That fear of death is all consuming and I believe that without something to shield you from it you just become scared and sad - "What's the point?" "Why does any of this matter?" "How do I matter?" "Why should I bother?" - religion tries to answer these questions, and when you plead with the cosmos and cry out that you don't want to die, religion holds you close and tells you it's going to be okay.
That's all anyone really needs. To be told it's going to be okay, that they're safe, and that they mean something.

I'm not an expert but that's what I believe. When I found religion it helped me feel better. :)

Lauren
01-16-2012, 03:43 AM
To be honest, I would be extremely depressed if I didn't believe in God, because as you said, none of it would matter. I might end up killing myself because my life would then mean absolutely nothing. If you are going to be forever dead after you die... Well, that means you've got like what, 80 years out of infinity? .1/infinity and 10000/infinity are the same thing... Nothing. If there is nothing after death then in the end your life will have been utterly pointless no matter what you do, and everything is pointless because everything is going to die. You can be like "I guess getting -insert something here (like a pet)- is pointless in your life then because it's going to die", but it's bigger than that. If it doesn't matter then you don't matter.
You can justify people believing in their religion because they do not want to believe this ^^^ if you want, but I do not believe life is pointless.

munsterpoo
01-19-2012, 12:58 PM
If we didn't have religion, we wouldn't have any moral compass. Having a moral compass helped society progress. The Old Testament was just like the Constitution for the Jewish civilization, and it served to keep society safe, secure, and orderly, without which the entire culture could've been annihilated. Every successful religion is based loosely on deciding what is and isn't acceptable behavior, and without that, philosophy, science, democracy, logic (which ironically is what now leads people against religion) could never have been explored.

Chi
01-19-2012, 03:36 PM
I'm sorry, but have you ever read the old testament? There is nothing moral in there. Its a story about a wrathful and vengeful god saying how men have all the power and women are their property. There is nothing moral what so ever about it.

Also life is not pointless without religion that is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. I live quiet a happy life knowing that I only have this chance to make an impact. That the chance that I was born has to be astronomical odds and that I should be thankful that the event occurred. It is not pointless. Living today means changing things for tomorrow. Of course one day there won't be tomorrow but there are plenty of tomorrows to change. So what if one day you don't do anything significant? There is always the future, some people may choose not to do anything with their lives which is their choice but they had the chance to choose and that is all that matters REGARDLESS is they have a religious conviction that ensures them life after death. The point is that knowing that there isn't thing after death means that people will live life to their fullest because they don't have another chance.... >.>

Life after death is just a scared mans fairy-tale because its impossible to fathom what will happen (besides your brain ceasing to exist and therefore consciousness ceasing to exist).

Lauren
01-19-2012, 03:46 PM
Well it's personally pointless to me if it's eventually not going to matter at all.

BTW I don't follow the Old Testament, it defines sin but gives no relief to it. The "Old Law" was "nailed to the cross", I believe Paul said that. I'm not going to follow something that tells me I'm sinning if my shirt is made out of two different materials.
I'm a Christian but I believe I'm also more spiritual than I am bound by something. I do follow the New Testament but the Old was before Jesus.

gorthalon
01-19-2012, 06:33 PM
The bible does command you to kill non believers though, as well as adulterers and disobedient children.

Where??? Where does it say that exactly, and what does it say before and after that? I'm not trying to shove my beliefs down your throat. The bible doesn't say to kill disobedient children, but to raise them up as they should be. Children are human, so of course they'll have a sinful nature. That's no reason to kill them. Non believers are human, just like Christians. As Christians we're called to love each other, not kill each other. As Christians we are not called to judge others, as we are imperfect ourselves. "Before you can tell your brother about the speck in his eye, you must first remove the log from your own." Yes religion isn't perfect at all, nor will it ever be. But Christianity is not a religion.

Chi
01-20-2012, 03:55 AM
Where??? Where does it say that exactly, and what does it say before and after that? I'm not trying to shove my beliefs down your throat. The bible doesn't say to kill disobedient children, but to raise them up as they should be. Children are human, so of course they'll have a sinful nature. That's no reason to kill them. Non believers are human, just like Christians. As Christians we're called to love each other, not kill each other. As Christians we are not called to judge others, as we are imperfect ourselves. "Before you can tell your brother about the speck in his eye, you must first remove the log from your own." Yes religion isn't perfect at all, nor will it ever be. But Christianity is not a religion.

Uh Christianity is a religion. Actually all religions are religious cults.

And as for the quotes...>..>

Kill Nonbelievers
They entered into a covenant to seek the Lord, the God of their fathers, with all their heart and soul; and everyone who would not seek the Lord, the God of Israel, was to be put to death, whether small or great, whether man or woman. (2 Chronicles 15:12-13 NAB)

Kill the Entire Town if One Person Worships Another God
Suppose you hear in one of the towns the LORD your God is giving you that some worthless rabble among you have led their fellow citizens astray by encouraging them to worship foreign gods. In such cases, you must examine the facts carefully. If you find it is true and can prove that such a detestable act has occurred among you, you must attack that town and completely destroy all its inhabitants, as well as all the livestock. Then you must pile all the plunder in the middle of the street and burn it. Put the entire town to the torch as a burnt offering to the LORD your God. That town must remain a ruin forever; it may never be rebuilt. Keep none of the plunder that has been set apart for destruction. Then the LORD will turn from his fierce anger and be merciful to you. He will have compassion on you and make you a great nation, just as he solemnly promised your ancestors. "The LORD your God will be merciful only if you obey him and keep all the commands I am giving you today, doing what is pleasing to him." (Deuteronomy 13:13-19 NLT)

Kill Followers of Other Religions.
1) If your own full brother, or your son or daughter, or your beloved wife, or you intimate friend, entices you secretly to serve other gods, whom you and your fathers have not known, gods of any other nations, near at hand or far away, from one end of the earth to the other: do not yield to him or listen to him, nor look with pity upon him, to spare or shield him, but kill him. Your hand shall be the first raised to slay him; the rest of the people shall join in with you. You shall stone him to death, because he sought to lead you astray from the Lord, your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, that place of slavery. And all Israel, hearing of this, shall fear and never do such evil as this in your midst. (Deuteronomy 13:7-12 NAB)

2) Suppose a man or woman among you, in one of your towns that the LORD your God is giving you, has done evil in the sight of the LORD your God and has violated the covenant by serving other gods or by worshiping the sun, the moon, or any of the forces of heaven, which I have strictly forbidden. When you hear about it, investigate the matter thoroughly. If it is true that this detestable thing has been done in Israel, then that man or woman must be taken to the gates of the town and stoned to death. (Deuteronomy 17:2-5 NLT)

Murdering Children

Death for Hitting Dad
Whoever strikes his father or mother shall be put to death. (Exodus 21:15 NAB)

Death for Cursing Parents
1) If one curses his father or mother, his lamp will go out at the coming of darkness. (Proverbs 20:20 NAB)
2) All who curse their father or mother must be put to death. They are guilty of a capital offense. (Leviticus 20:9 NLT)

Kill Sons of Sinners
Make ready to slaughter his sons for the guilt of their fathers; Lest they rise and posses the earth, and fill the breadth of the world with tyrants. (Isaiah 14:21 NAB)

God Will Kill Children
The glory of Israel will fly away like a bird, for your children will die at birth or perish in the womb or never even be conceived. Even if your children do survive to grow up, I will take them from you. It will be a terrible day when I turn away and leave you alone. I have watched Israel become as beautiful and pleasant as Tyre. But now Israel will bring out her children to be slaughtered." O LORD, what should I request for your people? I will ask for wombs that don't give birth and breasts that give no milk. The LORD says, "All their wickedness began at Gilgal; there I began to hate them. I will drive them from my land because of their evil actions. I will love them no more because all their leaders are rebels. The people of Israel are stricken. Their roots are dried up; they will bear no more fruit. And if they give birth, I will slaughter their beloved children." (Hosea 9:11-16 NLT)

Kill Men, Women, and Children
"Then I heard the LORD say to the other men, "Follow him through the city and kill everyone whose forehead is not marked. Show no mercy; have no pity! Kill them all

gorthalon
01-20-2012, 03:45 PM
Ok, so it says that in the old testament, and what about the new testament? When Jesus came down to earth, he gave us new rules to follow, rules of the forgiven people.

Jole
01-20-2012, 04:33 PM
I know that religions exist with the purpose of controlling people's life and they are full
of shit, but there is a positive side in religions... I think that it gives people a reason to live for and
some people are only good because of religion

Chi
01-20-2012, 05:01 PM
Ok, so it says that in the old testament, and what about the new testament? When Jesus came down to earth, he gave us new rules to follow, rules of the forgiven people.

That isn't the point. My point is, that god was not moral and morality therefore did not come from him originally. Man created their own morals.

Furthermore cherry picking occurs when creating laws today. The most apparent example is homosexuality. There is no where in the new testament where jesus makes a comment on the law where it says homosexuals must be killed from the old testement. Therefore Christians today use the old testament passage to forbid homosexuality and laws surrounding it. Why do they accept a law in the old testament but ignore some of the others? The whole book should be ignored because its full of bigoted, misogynist, hateful, spiteful, wrathful messages.

Jesus wasn't all butterflies and peaches either. Sure he said some good things but it doesn't mean morality came from him.

JESUS ON HELL & BLASPHEMY - Matthew 12:32
"Whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come."
JESUS ON HELL & BLASPHEMY - Mark 3:28-29
"I tell you the truth, all the sins and blasphemies of men will be forgiven them. But whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven; he is guilty of an eternal sin."
JESUS ON HELL - Revelation 21:8
"But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars — their place will be in the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death."
JESUS ON PUNISHMENT - Mark 9:42
"And if anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to be thrown into the sea with a large millstone tied around his neck."
JESUS ON PUNISHMENT - Luke 17:2 (NIV)
"It would be better for him to be thrown into the sea with a millstone tied around his neck than for him to cause one of these little ones to sin."

JESUS ON TORTURE - Revelation 9:3-5
"Then out of the smoke locusts came upon the earth. And to them was given power, as the scorpions of the earth have power. They were commanded not to harm the grass of the earth, or any green thing, or any tree, but only those men who do not have the seal of God on their foreheads. And they were not given authority to kill them, but to torment them for five months. Their torment was like the torment of a scorpion when it strikes a man."

PAUL ON NONBELIEVERS AND HELL - 2 Thessalonians 1:6-9
"God is just: He will pay back trouble to those who trouble you and give relief to you who are troubled, and to us as well. This will happen when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven in blazing fire with his powerful angels. He will punish those who do not know God and do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus. They will be punished with everlasting destruction and shut out from the presence of the Lord and from the majesty of his power.

PAUL ON SCIENCE - 1 Timothy 6:20 (KJV)
"O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called."

JOHN ON HOW TO TREAT NONBELIEVERS - 1 John 2:22 (NIV)
Who is the liar? It is whoever denies that Jesus is the Christ. Such a person is the Antichrist—denying the Father and the Son.
JOHN ON HOW TO TREAT NONBELIEVERS - 2 John 1 10-11
If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed: For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds.

JESUS, ON NONBELIEVERS - John 15:6 (KJV)
"If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned."

AND DON'T FORGET ALL THIS SHIT
PAUL ON WOMEN - 1 Timothy 2:9
"In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shame-facedness and sobriety; not with broided [braided] hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array."
PAUL ON WOMEN - 1 Timothy 2:11-15
"A woman should learn [from men] in quietness and full submission. I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent. For Adam was formed first, then Eve. And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner. But women will be saved through childbearing—if they continue in faith, love and holiness with propriety."
PAUL ON WOMEN - 1 Corinthians 11:3
"I would have you know that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God."
PAUL ON WOMEN - 1 Corinthians 11:9-10
"For man did not come from woman, but woman from man; neither was man created for woman, but woman for man. For this reason, and because of the angels, the woman ought to have a sign of authority on her head."
PAUL ON WOMEN - 1 Corinthians 14:34-35
"Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church."
PAUL ON WOMEN - Ephesians 5:22-24 (NIV)
"Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything."
PAUL ON WOMEN - Colossians 3:18 (NIV)
"Wives, submit to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord."
PETER ON WOMEN - 1 Peter 3:1-2 (NAB)
"Likewise, you wives should be subordinate to your husbands so that, even if some disobey the word, they may be won over without a word by their wives' conduct when they observe your reverent and chaste behavior. Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes."
JESUS ON POLYGAMY - Matthew 25:1 (NIV)
"At that time the kingdom of heaven will be like ten virgins who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom."

as you can see, the bible is full of shit - created by man for man. What happens to the people in other parts of the world who grew up in a society where Christianity isn't the dominant religion and where Christianity is frowned apon? Are they all going to hell even if they are amazing people? The bible says so. What about all the good people in a place such as North Korea? They're all going to hell (after already living under a wrathful, spiteful, hateful dictator they don't need another).

gorthalon
01-20-2012, 05:39 PM
All the torments that you quoted are forgiven if you truly ask for it. That doesn't mean that a person can kill someone, ask for forgiveness, then kill again. You must remember that Eve was created from Adam's side. Not from the head to rule over him, but also not from the feet to be walked over by man. God has perfect morals, most of the time we can't even begin to understand. One thing that we can understand is that God is like the perfect parent. He wants us to be free, which is why He gave us the freedom that we have, and not being slaves. He wants us to obey him, so that we are not hurt. Like a parent would punish their child for disobeying them, God does the same. He wants us to be safe, happy, and free. He doesn't want for us to hate him and say that He is an abomination to the world, but He wants us to have the freedom to do so if we please.

Jizm
01-21-2012, 01:33 PM
Religion is for the week minded who cant chose a path for there own, they need something to believe Something that can give hope an emotion a meaning.

Slasher
01-21-2012, 02:36 PM
I think that some of people are getting off the subject, which is "Religion is a detriment to society" and not about "religion is stupid/useful/etc"...
Bible/priest/Quran/Pope/anyone can say something. Believer can think and do what he wants from it.

Chi
01-21-2012, 04:31 PM
I think that some of people are getting off the subject, which is "Religion is a detriment to society" and not about "religion is stupid/useful/etc"...
Bible/priest/Quran/Pope/anyone can say something. Believer can think and do what he wants from it.

But the believer can't. According to the bible, priest, pope, to be a good x of any religion you need to follow all god(s) and all of its morals. What happens when those 'morals' which aren't very moral at all clash with our laws and what does that mean about said god. Its detrimental for society because of this conflict and this constant division between two sets of people who need to make laws to make everyone happy.

Slasher
01-21-2012, 04:36 PM
I don't think that because you consider yourself as a Christian, you have to follow every rules of the Bible. Like it's not because you are living in US that you DO follow every rules. Maybe a priest will tell a person a bad Christian because they haven't done something like religion wanted them to do.
But everyone can consider themself as they want and use any excuses and actions to contribute to society's detriment.

holyzac
01-23-2012, 11:48 AM
Is Free Thinker a religion?
I always tick that when filling up forms...
A society is made up of many complex norms, norms are formed when there is understanding or common practice.
So when that society has too many norms, it becomes restrictive in a way...

Foxer
01-27-2012, 05:41 PM
I feel compelled to point out that measuring up the objective good and bad of religion is a pointless exercise. xD;

I would, however point out that regardless of whether or not religion is a detriment, it could be argued that other institutions, ideals and beliefs have caused just as much, if not more of a problem without having any of the cosmic weight of religion. It would be fair only to say that society is a detriment to society and leave it at that. Freedom of religion is written into the constitutions of most developed countries and is also on the UN Charter of Human Rights. Think of it what you will, but as humans we have the right to believe what we want and to express it without fear of prejudice.

I don't think that because you consider yourself as a Christian, you have to follow every rules of the Bible. Like it's not because you are living in US that you DO follow every rules. Maybe a priest will tell a person a bad Christian because they haven't done something like religion wanted them to do.
But everyone can consider themself as they want and use any excuses and actions to contribute to society's detriment.

This is a common misconception; that being religious is simply believing in a deity and following a set of rules. While this might be true for some, it isn't the case for Christianity. A Christian doesn't follow the rules because they have to, they follow the rules because they believe it's right and because they want to follow them. However, that does not constitute being a "good" Christian. In fact, there is no such thing, since the very teaching of the Christian faith is that all humanity from the highest kings to the lowliest paupers are nothing short of evil. If we weren't so terrible (under the assumption this is right) then Jesus' death wouldn't have been necessary. The Bible teaches our total dependence on the sacrifice of Jesus for our salvation. If we could reach Heaven by ourselves Jesus would be pointless. The "rules" are not set there for the Christian to follow to the letter, they're set there for the Christian to try to follow, inevitably end up failing and realizing more and more each time that they really do need Jesus. God's law is what a Christian should aspire to, but it is set down to show us our own weakness.

I'm not trying to start a new strain of debate, I'm just pointing out what the teachings of the Bible actually say about God's law.

Evelsaint
01-27-2012, 05:57 PM
Religion is for the week minded who cant chose a path for there own, they need something to believe Something that can give hope an emotion a meaning.

Not true really, life is hard for some people and it's always nice to believe that there is a higher power looking out after us.

This most likely isn't the case bit it's a leap of faith.

Faith is a powerful tool. By believing in something, it empowers you. Some people just can't believe in themselves, so they believe in an entity who believes in you. A proxy of sorts.

Either how, I practice ancestor worshiping. What does this mean? It's not a religon but a tradition. The idea is that your ancestors spirits are looking out for you, karma, good events, warding off bad luck.

How much of it is true?

I don't know. I just light the incense sticks for them on the marked holidays or their death anniversary and make a wish/pray for good health, financial success, and good luck in general.

Edit: It also has to do with respect. Your ancestors before you pretty much are your fore founders, without them, there would be no you. Reflect on that. It doesn't mean that I have to owe them everything and live my life for them but imagine the life they lived, the children they had, the knowledge and traditions they passed on, and respect it.

Does it mean I need it?

No

Does it mean it will help?

No.

I do it anyway, there's no harm in doing so.

Bailey
01-27-2012, 06:39 PM
I am personally an atheist who was raised by a Mormon raised mom who is now and atheist and a catholic step father in saying that I have gone to church when I was a kid with my family and I believe it's all crap. There has never been a shred of proof that God has existed other than ramblings of people who say that he spoke to them. I believe in everyone's right to believe in whoever they want, however I think that for the most part the people who say they believe in god say it just because they were either told to or it makes them feel less guilty either way most people i think don't actually believe. Another thing to those who say "god told them to write the bible" Unless you can prove that "god" came down and told these people what to say to me it's like saying that Vampires and Werewolves MUST be true because Stephanie Meyers wrote it therefore it must be true. Too many people take writings from a book as justification to start war why? because this quote in a book says we should. Most people hate other people because of their skin or their race why? because this book says so. I say just get rid of the bible all together and we might be a more peaceful world. Just my opinion though.

KTRoo
01-29-2012, 12:54 AM
Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God, and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God. Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love. In this the love of God was made manifest among us, that God sent his only Son into the world, so that we might live through him. In this is love, not that we have loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins. Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. No one has ever seen God; if we love one another, God abides in us and his love is perfected in us. John 4:7-12

My religion teaches hatred? News to me.

I obviously do not believe religion is a detriment to society. I believe society is a detriment to itself, and that with humans being naturally born in a spirit of sin, we are bound to be overshadowed by evil. Not to mention, extremists are better media than the sane ones of the religion.

Bailey
01-29-2012, 12:56 AM
I don't think religion teaches hatred, people use religion as an excuse for hatred

KTRoo
01-29-2012, 01:01 AM
That's people, not religion in itself. People use a lot of things as excuses for their behavior. Including their race, parents, age, etc. Religion is only another scapegoat for people who need something to blame for their issues.

Efron
01-29-2012, 03:10 AM
I am not religious but I think it is what you stand for that makes you evil. many religions are peaceful but extreme catholics and other extremists are probably what OP is referring to as the detriments

Bailey
01-29-2012, 03:17 AM
I agree KT people put way to much on religion, i personally think religion is whatever you make of it. not something a book says.

KTRoo
01-29-2012, 06:50 AM
My beliefs are based on what is in the Bible, but I do try to take it in context. Not only that but i actually read what it says and research everything humanly possible rather than just assume what everyone else told me is right.

02-16-2012, 05:55 PM
Religion isn't the evil part. It is the stupid people who don't know that the people have a choice to accept your religion or not. I never base people off of their religion.

The stupid people that shove it in other's faces are stupid as well. (lol my sentence)

I_royalty_I
02-16-2012, 06:07 PM
That's people, not religion in itself. People use a lot of things as excuses for their behavior. Including their race, parents, age, etc. Religion is only another scapegoat for people who need something to blame for their issues.

Eh I don't think that's true at all, at least for me.
I think that you really have nobody else to blame but yourself if things get screwed up.
Yes there are many other factors, but once you are out there on your own, it's all you and if you screw up, it's on you.

I'm Catholic.
I don't look toward the church to blame my problems on.
And I also don't go to church every single Sunday.

But I am confirmed, all that good stuff, I go on Christmas and Easter and throughout the year.
I respect people who aren't religious, but also most of them can be pretty ignorant.
They look at people who do believe in something as inferior and they think they are "smarter" because they believe in nothing.

IndigoSunset
02-16-2012, 06:41 PM
I think that you really have nobody else to blame but yourself if things get screwed up.
Yes there are many other factors, but once you are out there on your own, it's all you and if you screw up, it's on you.
Just like to state my disagreement with that idea though it isn't entirely relevant here :P

I respect people who aren't religious, but also most of them can be pretty ignorant.
They look at people who do believe in something as inferior and they think they are "smarter" because they believe in nothing.
I entirely agree that there are ignorant people on both sides of the debate. And I detest aggressive atheists as much as 'pushy' theists.

However, although I don't think that I am 'smarter' for not believing in a god, I do believe I hold a much more rational viewpoint(I mean obviously that goes without saying since if I felt another viewpoint were more rational then I would change my viewpoint) mostly because my beliefs are based on deduction from as close to objective and empirical proofs as seemingly possible. Religion, on the other hand, is almost entirely based on the founding principle of Faith. That is to say, belief in something without objective and independently verifiable evidence for it. That is why religious beliefs are irrational. I respect people's rights to hold these beliefs in any way they like(so long as it doesn't negatively impact upon others) but I also believe I have the right to hold them in lower regards concerning rationality if they choose to do so.

I_royalty_I
02-16-2012, 06:45 PM
IndigoSunset yeah I was just kinda replying to KTRoo's post with that comment :P

I don't really wanna make an attempt to dive too far into religion. I'm not too hard pressed in either direction.
I just feel sorry for people who strongly oppose religion and think it's a terrible thing.
When I go to church, I don't go there to hear "OMG Jesus is so amazing lets all devote our lives to him".
I just go and listen to the stories and the good messages that are contained in them and try to apply them to my life.
I've realized throughout the years that people who go to church and were brought up on those good lessons are usually more pleasant to be around. Whereas people who despise church and think it's a waste of time, etc etc seem to be more matter-of-fact, rude, or just cold in a way.

KTRoo
02-17-2012, 01:11 AM
I think you misunderstood what I was saying? Because I wasn't saying everyone religious uses that as an excuse for their behavior, just that if they're going to blame it on anything but themselves, religion is a scapegoat for them. I think your actions are all on you, also. I don't think you should be able to get away with things based on your race, age, religion etc. I don't think religion is an excuse for murder or hatred.

I also don't like to be told I'm stupid or can't think for myself because of my beliefs. I can think just fine and have a million and one reasons for believing in God. I have a little miracle living in my house with me; her name is Leila and she's the most perfect gift God has ever given me, and one of my biggest reasons for knowing he's watching. I'm not stupid and crazy. The very fact that God is illogical is what makes him God. Our brains weren't made to understand that wonder. To imagine something that always was and is and will be.

Sorry I'm preaching again lol. I just HATE having it implied that I'm stupid for believing what I believe.

Rain
02-17-2012, 03:20 AM
There are situations where religion has gone too far in a society, and the result was hatred and fights on the parts of 2 different religions that focused more on being harsh and pushing their opinion, their values, and 'showing off' their culture; than actually attempting to follow the rules by which they live.

I believe that religion is perfectly justifiable. To take an extreme view seems ignorant and stupid. The world isn't black and white. Some people use religion as their support; I know many people who, after going through a very harsh time in their lives have turned to religion and through it, have recovered. I'm not saying that they wouldn't have recovered just as well without religion; I'm just saying that it is helpful in many cases. To others, it is something to immerse themselves in. They seek a reason for 'life' and religion, or to aim for enlightenment or the greater good, in general, is a way of justifying the reasons to live. Of course, there are those who use religion as a way of justifying their actions. I have no right to judge, but those who act against the values taught by their religion, in the name of their religion, are not truly religious. (In the cases of persecution, for example).

Those who condemn either side (atheists or religious) are both as bad as each other.
Everything, I believe, in this society serves as purpose; both good and bad, just to varying extents.

I_royalty_I
02-17-2012, 08:26 PM
For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not believe, no explanation will suffice.

Kiminess
02-24-2012, 06:24 AM
I don't really see how people believing in something that gives them hope is evil, although I personally am not religious. I don't care if people want to believe in a God, I personally choose not to. I do, however, dislike when people try to force their religion at me and view me differently for not being religious. I believe in what I want to believe in, and others are free to do the same.

Bacon
02-24-2012, 12:18 PM
It's not evil. It's the ones that... how should I put it... well, if you say Atheists chose to not believe in God... that's not true. I wish I could believe like the rest of my family, but I simply think the idea of a God is absurd.

I_royalty_I
02-24-2012, 12:21 PM
It's not evil. It's the ones that... how should I put it... well, if you say Atheists chose to not believe in God... that's not true. I wish I could believe like the rest of my family, but I simply think the idea of a God is absurd.

So essentially you don't believe in God then? lol
If you take the idea of God, and look at it as being way out in left field, not possible; that's not believing.
I mean, you could believe if you wanted to, but you just choose not to. Nothing wrong with that. But I think atheism is pretty much not believing in any Gods? o-o

Bacon
02-24-2012, 12:30 PM
So essentially you don't believe in God then? lol
If you take the idea of God, and look at it as being way out in left field, not possible; that's not believing.
I mean, you could believe if you wanted to, but you just choose not to. Nothing wrong with that. But I think atheism is pretty much not believing in any Gods? o-o
-
I'm not sure I can actually call myself an atheist, but I don't believe in god. Period. I did use to think god was real when I was younger until I was about 10. The only reason is because my parents are catholic and they made me and forced religion upon me.

I_royalty_I
02-24-2012, 12:46 PM
Well I think it's a bit harsh to say your parents made you and forced religion on you.
That's like saying they speak english, so they made you speak english and forced it upon you.

I think a lot of peoples families take them to church, or go to the religious ed and all that kinda stuff when you are younger. But once you get old enough in the catholic church at least, you are able to think for yourself and decide if it's right for you.

They didn't FORCE it on you, they opened you up to it. And if you get older and decide that it's not for you, then so be it, you don't have to keep at it.

I had a similar experience. I was raised catholic my whole life, got all the sacraments, confirmation, etc etc. I'm still not 100% sure what I believe, but I would like to believe there is something bigger than me out there. I'm not going to completely denounce it, but I'm not full fledged into it.

Frank12
02-25-2012, 10:58 AM
Well I think it's a bit harsh to say your parents made you and forced religion on you.
That's like saying they speak english, so they made you speak english and forced it upon you.

I think a lot of peoples families take them to church, or go to the religious ed and all that kinda stuff when you are younger. But once you get old enough in the catholic church at least, you are able to think for yourself and decide if it's right for you.

They didn't FORCE it on you, they opened you up to it. And if you get older and decide that it's not for you, then so be it, you don't have to keep at it.

I had a similar experience. I was raised catholic my whole life, got all the sacraments, confirmation, etc etc. I'm still not 100% sure what I believe, but I would like to believe there is something bigger than me out there. I'm not going to completely denounce it, but I'm not full fledged into it.

I can agree to this. I don't really know what to think, but I refuse to believe that some guy is sitting there, determining our eternal fate based off of a few years. I honestly think our established religions nowadays are merely a human's attempt at rationalizing what we do not and cannot know about. The foundational morals found in religion are essentially all the same, so we have to assume human nature is roughly the same. But to say a religion is good or bad is in terms of the persons perspective. Religion is a thing; it is neither good nor evil. Its followers however, are another story. Evil men will do bad, just as good will do good. That is also up to perception of what is good and what is evil. It all traces back to your perspective. However, rationalizing any action with religion, good or bad, is completely moronic. Your god, or whatever you believe in, did not dictate that you did this; you did. Credit is given where credit is due. God did not kill those people; a murderer did. God did not save that man, the person who saved that man saved that man. That is where religion's influence is bad. Under any circumstance. You can only be rational if you reason things out, not pray. I'd much rather give myself the best chance I have than throw my problems at God, or whatever, hoping I will be saved...

thequeen
04-09-2012, 11:55 AM
that is called being an agnostic.

I myself am an agnostic. I don't believe in a god or gods. But that doesn't mean I know more than those people that do. Who knows what's out there?

Either way, I like to think and believe and be free and not held back by the dogmas of religions. Whatever you say, religion truly does inhibit intellectual growth (by forcing you to accept something out of "faith" rather than rational thought).

I don't need religion to do the right thing, and to distinguish right from wrong. I really have strong views on this. :P