PDA

View Full Version : I'm ashamed of my state.

Kristin
05-09-2012, 07:26 PM
Yesterday, North Carolina voted on an amendment that would define marriage as one man and one woman, therefore making any chance of legalizing gay marriage near-impossible anytime soon.

It passed.

The worst part is that not only does the bill discriminate against gay couples, it also effects hetero couples, unwed mothers and spousal/child abuse victims, making it even more difficult to get tax breaks, legal help and much-needed protection.

I already hate living here, but now I can't wait to move. It makes me sick to live in a state that, firstly, didn't legalize interracial marriage until the 70's, but also is so intolerant and ignorant towards anyone who isn't conservative/rich/white/straight.

Cody.
05-09-2012, 07:28 PM
That is insane.
I really do not see the harm in a same sex couple getting married.

Kristin
05-09-2012, 07:30 PM
It just makes me so mad that no one educated themselves before they voted. They don't realize how much everyone in our state is going to be effected/hurt by this new bill.

Azn
05-09-2012, 07:32 PM
Don't worry, I was sad too but Obama announcing that he supports gay marriage made my day :)

Kristin
05-09-2012, 07:33 PM
Don't worry, I was sad too but Obama announcing that he supports gay marriage made my day :)

Yes I was happy about that too. :)

But it's going to take a lot more than that to turn our state around...everyone here hates Obama.

Cody.
05-09-2012, 07:40 PM
There is a reason everyone hates him ... because he is doing what they don't want.
I highly doubt he is going to get re-elected into power next term.

But I do like him for this reason.
My fiance told me this today and it made me happy.

Emiley
05-10-2012, 01:22 PM
Come to the south Kristin, the most nicest people are here and we aren't as racist as all the other states ;)
Plus its cheaper to live in the south, well I think it is lol.
Best southern state is probably Florida or Kentucky, hard decision lol. Only states I been to in my life besides Kentucky (Lived there the longest in my life than any other states) were Florida (Born there, got to visit Florida 2 more times when I was a lot younger), Georgia (Only stayed for a few days), Tennessee (Sort of like Kentucky, but I think Kentucky is better), Ohio, and Indiana (HOME OF HOLIDAY WORLD!!!).

maxxine
05-10-2012, 01:44 PM
[Only registered and activated users can see links]

robots
05-10-2012, 02:00 PM

hearing things like this makes me really glad to live in canada

it really disappoints me that there is still discrimination against same-sex marriages.
we're moving on. the bible has been disproved countless times, it can hardly be referenced as a universal guide anymore.
Obama's support is respectable, i hope he changes some minds

SmileYaDead
05-10-2012, 02:13 PM
hearing things like this makes me really glad to live in canada

it really disappoints me that there is still discrimination against same-sex marriages.
we're moving on. the bible has been disproved countless times, it can hardly be referenced as a universal guide anymore.
Obama's support is respectable, i hope he changes some minds

When was it ever referenced as a universal guide O.o

About Obama, on my opinion.. You've got to get those votes somehow.

About gays getting married, I don't really care, go marry whoever you want to. On the other hand, I am a strong supporter of the "traditional" marriage. It's hard for me to express myself on this topic in English. :D

About the current world order.. Democracy just doesn't work, on my opinion. Not going to argue with anyone.

robots
05-10-2012, 02:32 PM
When was it ever referenced as a universal guide O.o

About Obama, on my opinion.. You've got to get those votes somehow.

About gays getting married, I don't really care, go marry whoever you want to. On the other hand, I am a strong supporter of the "traditional" marriage. It's hard for me to express myself on this topic in English. :D

About the current world order.. Democracy just doesn't work, on my opinion. Not going to argue with anyone.

well you know how people thought earth was in the centre of the world / women were damned / the earth was flat / evolution was insane / same sex marriage was morally wrong ?
that was all based on the bible ..

I agree with what you say about obama too. People are freaking out because he's the first president to acknowledge same sex marriage as a right, but i think sooner or later somebody would pull that card out.

Ana
05-10-2012, 02:42 PM
I was reading the article about it.

This was the quote that I though was incredibly stupid
"Only 46 percent of voters realized that the amendment would ban civil unions for gay couples as well as marriage, according to a Public Policy Polling poll. A majority of North Carolina voters support civil unions."

How can you not know exactly what you're voting on?

I_royalty_I
05-10-2012, 02:47 PM

Yeah, it's election time, he's gotta get all the votes that he can. ;)

SmileYaDead
05-10-2012, 02:51 PM
I was reading the article about it.

This was the quote that I though was incredibly stupid
"Only 46 percent of voters realized that the amendment would ban civil unions for gay couples as well as marriage, according to a Public Policy Polling poll. A majority of North Carolina voters support civil unions."

How can you not know exactly what you're voting on?

People just go with the flow. They desperately want to help the community somehow and follow the first idiot who tells them something they want to hear. "Oh, I somewhat agree with that, I'll just do what they want." I've seen enough people go along with Kony and whatever. Seriously, the more you know, the stupider you get. Don't think about things that have no influence on you. Yes, it might be wrong what they are doing, but please.. You sharing some vids, retweeting something, posting sh*t on your FB wall.. Who is that going to help? You aren't making an impact on the world, unless you get off your ass and actually go and do something. God damn slacktivists. "I share because I care."

Ronith
05-10-2012, 03:27 PM

Only because its election time.

Obama Says He Is Against Same-Sex Marriage But Also Against Ending Its Practice In Calif.

Obama told MTV he believes marriage is "between a man and a woman" and that he is "not in favor of gay marriage."

Before you vote, I hope you actually do research before voting (;

I_royalty_I
05-10-2012, 03:36 PM
Only because its election time.

Obama Says He Is Against Same-Sex Marriage But Also Against Ending Its Practice In Calif.

Obama told MTV he believes marriage is "between a man and a woman" and that he is "not in favor of gay marriage."

Before you vote, I hope you actually do research before voting (;

That was in 2008 ;)
Now that it's election time again, he is saying his thoughts on gay marriage had a "revolution", and now he is for gay marriage.
This guy needs to go.

Ronith
05-10-2012, 03:38 PM
That was in 2008 ;)
Now that it's election time again, he is saying his thoughts on gay marriage had a "revolution", and now he is for gay marriage.
This guy needs to go.

Yup, he should GTFO.

Doublespeak FTL.

Azn
05-10-2012, 03:42 PM
Sorry ;) That's where you're wrong, buddy. Ronith I_royalty_I

First of all, I would like to say that your views can change. This is why only 26% of people supported gay marriage in 96' but over 50% support it now. Anyways, Obama has always been in favor of civil unions, even in 08 when he was running. If you check the date of the article you posted, it's 2008. In 2010, Obama told people that his views were "evolving." There's many reasons why he said this, mainly because if he said he supported it, he would lose a lot of votes come election time. Plus, many of his staff in the White House are gay and that may have influenced him.

Do you honestly think that saying that him announcing that he supports gay marriage will give him more votes? The gays were already going to vote for him. Why? Because if Mitt Romney wins, then he will try to put in a federal constitution banning gay marriage, even in the states that already have it. The worse case scenario if Obama wins is that he keeps everything the same, meaning individual states decide. He can only lose votes by supporting same sex marriage. He will lose votes in many of the conservative swing states that have supported him in the past, like North Carolina for example.

The reason why he announced it was his buddy Joe Biden slipped up. Joe Biden announced a few days ago that he was in favor of same sex marriage. This put pressure on Obama to get off of his "evolution" stance and to decide. It has nothing to do with elections because if you ask political analysis, this is actually a poor decision on his part since he might be losing a lot of the conservative Hispanic votes. It would have been better to wait for a victory in November and then announce it when he has safely secured his 2nd term.

"Before you vote, I hope you actually do research before voting (; "

:P Don't take offense, I volunteer for the Obama campaign a few times a month so I'm pretty hyper about this stuff. Sorry if I got carried away.

---------- Post added at 04:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:41 PM ----------

That was in 2008 ;)
This guy needs to go.

Not a fan of Obama, I see...He said he was evolving in 2010 when he was asked about it. He's only speaking cause Joe Biden came out in support out of it. He's losing votes by doing this, I hope you understand.

Ronith
05-10-2012, 03:47 PM
Sorry ;) That's where you're wrong, buddy. Ronith I_royalty_I

First of all, I would like to say that your views can change. This is why only 26% of people supported gay marriage in 96' but over 50% support it now. Anyways, Obama has always been in favor of civil unions, even in 08 when he was running. If you check the date of the article you posted, it's 2008. In 2010, Obama told people that his views were "evolving." There's many reasons why he said this, mainly because if he said he supported it, he would lose a lot of votes come election time. Plus, many of his staff in the White House are gay and that may have influenced him.

Do you honestly think that saying that him announcing that he supports gay marriage will give him more votes? The gays were already going to vote for him. Why? Because if Mitt Romney wins, then he will try to put in a federal constitution banning gay marriage, even in the states that already have it. The worse case scenario if Obama wins is that he keeps everything the same, meaning individual states decide. He can only lose votes by supporting same sex marriage. He will lose votes in many of the conservative swing states that have supported him in the past, like North Carolina for example.

The reason why he announced it was his buddy Joe Biden slipped up. Joe Biden announced a few days ago that he was in favor of same sex marriage. This put pressure on Obama to get off of his "evolution" stance and to decide. It has nothing to do with elections because if you ask political analysis, this is actually a poor decision on his poor since he might be losing a lot of the conservative Hispanic votes. It would have been better to wait for a victory in November and then announce it when he has safely secured his 2nd term.

"Before you vote, I hope you actually do research before voting (; "

:P Don't take offense, I volunteer for the Obama campaign a few times a month so I'm pretty hyper about this stuff. Sorry if I got carried away.

Funny, he changes his stance when election time is drawing. I find it so very hard to believe he changed his stance after only a few years....its only for the votes. Ironically, the group that accepts gays the least? Black males.

Obama's Inauguration___________What we have now
AAA Credit Rating

Azn
05-10-2012, 03:58 PM
You didn't answer my question. What votes does he have to gain by coming out in support of this?

Repealing of Don't Ask Don't Tell, Prop 8 Opponent, Trying to repeal DOMA, Denouncing Amendment 1... None of these things clued you in that he was in support of gay marriage? I find that surprising...

Also what other issues have he flipped on recently... since it's close to election time?

Ronith
05-10-2012, 04:07 PM
You didn't answer my question. What votes does he have to gain by coming out in support of this?

Repealing of Don't Ask Don't Tell, Prop 8 Opponent, Trying to repeal DOMA, Denouncing Amendment 1... None of these things clued you in that he was in support of gay marriage? I find that surprising...

Also what other issues have he flipped on recently... since it's close to election time?

Obama has only recently been an active advocate and supporter of gays and gay rights. He only recently was looking for the "right" political time (Bidens announcement that he supported gay marraige forced his hand) to tell the world that he sees no differences between male/female, male/male, and female /female marriages. To him it's all the same.

This will cost Obama little to nothing politically - but it will gain him probably total support, votes, and monetary support from the gay community.

Government NEVER should have had any say in marriage anyway. They should have given "civil union" licenses regardless of the sexual orientation of the union and let the participants call it what they want. Marriage is, at its root, a religious definition of the relationship anyway, not a government invention.

Azn
05-10-2012, 04:14 PM
Obama has only recently been an active advocate and supporter of gays and gay rights. He only recently was looking for the "right" political time (Bidens announcement that he supported gay marraige forced his hand) to tell the world that he sees no differences between male/female, male/male, and female /female marriages. To him it's all the same.

This will cost Obama little to nothing politically - but it will gain him probably total support, votes, and monetary support from the gay community.

Government NEVER should have had any say in marriage anyway. They should have given "civil union" licenses regardless of the sexual orientation of the union and let the participants call it what they want. Marriage is, at its root, a religious definition of the relationship anyway, not a government invention.

The four examples I've given you were not recent... Only the NC Amendment One. Like I said before, the gay community was already going to vote for him. Mitt Romney has announced that he will put a federal constitutional ban against same sex marriage early in his campaign. Why would the gay community choose Romney over Obama? They supported him back in 08' and he's done so many good things in his presidency for gays, more than any other president. It's like would you rather keep everything the same or bring in a guy who's going to destroy everything?

Here's some numbers for you...
Percent of blacks in America.... 12.6%
Percent of hispanics in America... 16.3%

Percent of gays in America... 3%

I didn't even include whites that are against gay marriage and you can already see my point.

Well you say marriage is a religious institution but it's not to many people who are allowed to get married. America is made up of different religions like Buddhists, Hindus, etc. and even Atheists who get married. The law has never required someone to be religious to get married.

Ronith
05-10-2012, 04:16 PM
The four examples I've given you were not recent... Only the NC Amendment One. Like I said before, the gay community was already going to vote for him. Mitt Romney has announced that he will put a federal constitutional ban against same sex marriage. Why would the gay community choose Romney over Obama? They supported him back in 08' and he's done so many good things in his presidency for gays, more than any other president.

Here's some numbers for you...
Percent of blacks in America.... 12.6%
Percent of hispanics in America... 16.3%

Percent of gays in America... 3%

I didn't even include whites that are against gay marriage and you can already see my point.

Well you say marriage is a religious institution but it's not to many people who are allowed to get married. America is made up of different religions like Buddhists, Hindus, etc. and even Atheists who get married. The law has never required someone to be religious to get married.

It doesn't matter. Obama is a slimeball, who done quite a lot to fuck up the auto industry. He should be gone.

Azn
05-10-2012, 04:25 PM
It doesn't matter. Obama is a slimeball, who done quite a lot to fuck up the auto industry. He should be gone.

You strayed off the same sex marriage topic... That's all I was here for.

Ronith
05-10-2012, 04:27 PM
.......fadsfasdfasdf

Azn
05-10-2012, 04:47 PM
Fine.

To be honest, nothing really suprises me anymore. What's next? A law that says pediphiles & convicted sex offenders can be Elementary School Teachers?

So, liberals want to pass a law that says it's ok for homos to get married in God's house.

What are these f*cking idiots doing besides trying to turn Christianity into their preferable "politically correct" religion? Azn

First, I can't believe you would ever cite fox news for anything, smh. :S
Secondly, there is no gay marriage in Kansas so how would that work out.

What's the thing with conservatives? You guys always go from homosexuals to pedophiles. It really is a shame... Those remarks are why glbt kids are committing suicide left and right.

What would happen if you had a gay son or daughter? Honestly, would you not want him or her the chance to get married? I don't know how old you are but you are probably old enough to get married/have kids.
Don't say that "my son/daughter will never turn out to be gay."

That's what Dick Cheney said, that's what Allen Keyes said, and that's what my dad said.

Just something to consider.

Sci_Girl
05-10-2012, 05:16 PM
My goodness too much anger going back and forth here, skip the election altogether and come to Canada we do not care about anything here and as a result we are a peaceful peoples lol.

Slasher
05-10-2012, 06:12 PM
Stephen Harper is against gay marriage, but he said he wouldn't make it illegal. I'm not conservative and happy that Canada is not following all the US decisions.

Kristin
05-10-2012, 07:41 PM
Um, Emily , I already am in the south. More south than you haha!
I hate living in the south. Everyone here is either a racist, homophobic dick or a elderly conservative prick.
I want to be on the West coast!!

Emiley
05-10-2012, 07:47 PM
Um, Emily , I already am in the south. More south than you haha!
I hate living in the south. Everyone here is either a racist, homophobic dick or a elderly conservative prick.
I want to be on the West coast!!

Well okay then, try living in other south states then? I am not sure if North Carolina is considered southern.

Lol, how did I not know North Carolina was a southern state? *facepalm*

Kristin
05-10-2012, 07:49 PM
When I move, I absolutely will not be moving anywhere in the south east.
California FTW!

Azn
05-10-2012, 07:56 PM
California FTW!

Lol :) I totally agree with you on that one. If you're looking for a nice liberal place without too many racists/homophobes, you can also try the north east. But then again, the weather in California is definitely better :)

Emiley
05-10-2012, 07:59 PM
California FTW!

I have always wanted to go to California, but its so frikin expensive to live there so that is probably never gonna happen for me.

Slasher
05-10-2012, 08:18 PM
I heard that lot of people in south America were still very racist, conservative and religious. Not respectuous enough for me!

bc.m
05-12-2012, 08:34 AM
It's really sad to hear this news... But I do hope that your state will change its laws soon.

Mouse
05-12-2012, 09:44 AM
In Holland we are quite disgusted about this (it made it to the news) here. We made gay/lesbian marriage legal 10 years ago already. In the USA it's easier to marry your cousin or niece then it is to be together with someone of the same sex ... Disturbing.

---------- Post added at 04:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:43 PM ----------

California FTW!

Can I come crash with you one day then? x'D
I want to go to California atleast once in my life. Seems to be the most fucking awesome place of the whole USA!

Ryan~
05-12-2012, 11:31 AM
South east for the win? Besides the fact that we are completely prejudiced, we have great food and some pretty cool attractions (;

Pants
05-14-2012, 11:17 PM
I'm a Brit. It's scary how backwards America (mostly southern) is going. It's 2012, not 1712..absolutely disgusting.

Kristin
05-15-2012, 09:18 AM
South east for the win? Besides the fact that we are completely prejudiced, we have great food and some pretty cool attractions (;

You're right, we DO have good food! But we are also the fattest part of America xD

Teakwood
05-15-2012, 09:20 AM
I'm so glad that I live in a state where we can walk around freely and not be judged as much.
Kentucky is horrible.
Same with Tennessee.

caonima
05-15-2012, 09:24 AM
Well, I am against discrimination towards any form of people. Research has proven that gayness is caused by mutated genes thus people should not ostracise them. It is not like they want to be gay...

Sci_Girl
05-15-2012, 09:26 AM
Research has proven that gayness is caused by mutated genes thus people should not ostracise them. It is not like they want to be gay...

Link to the studies please :)

Teakwood
05-15-2012, 09:33 AM
Well, I am against discrimination towards any form of people. Research has proven that gayness is caused by mutated genes thus people should not ostracise them. It is not like they want to be gay...

I agree with you on some parts.
But I'm glad I'm gay.
I WANT to be gay.
I wouldn't want it any other way.

I just don't like the consequences of being gay, the ridicule, the hurt, the pain. That's what people don't like.

caonima
05-16-2012, 04:43 AM
Link to the studies please :)

Well, if you read news often there are mentions of the research when people are discussing gay behaviour. Please google for it.

Love
05-16-2012, 11:53 PM
I think your state isnt that bad as my country.
My country is very disriminative and bend towards catholic views.
We arent even allowed divorce here to start with :S

Rainbowpie
05-17-2012, 01:30 AM
I agree with you on some parts.
But I'm glad I'm gay.
I WANT to be gay.
I wouldn't want it any other way.

I just don't like the consequences of being gay, the ridicule, the hurt, the pain. That's what people don't like.

I'm not sure what I hate more, the hate that comes from being gay or being people's "pet project." :/
I live in Washington State near Seattle. I lost pretty much all my friends when I came out. I made them uncomfortable, they said.
This year our Gov decides to make Gay Marriage legal. It's 'politically correct' now, you see. Now everyone wants to be on the up and up. This is the state that said "Green you say? Well I'll put green on your green and make a green sandwich!" ;D
Now my 'friends' are back and I feel like I'm on a special of 'save the dolphins' or something.
It's so... smarmy. xD'
I agree with Ronith. Obama's actions are smarmy.

That said, I wish people would just... calm down. I try not to think about the political stuff - I can't do anything about it - but I hate that people can't just look at me for who I am instead of having to smother me with all these 'rules' about what I'm supposed to be. I was dating another girl and for the longest time I'd never used the word lesbian or gay to define me :/ because the words are so coated with assumptions and expectations. Those girls from the L word? that's not me either. I'm me. That's... about it.
Ionno if I'm making sense. But I don't even care that I can't get married in most states. I just want to be with someone who makes me happy. :/ At least people don't kill me when they see me where we are. At least I can expect to live about as long as everyone else. It could always be worse. It could be better, but it could be worse.

Love
05-18-2012, 02:15 AM
I think really, the church, or anythign religion has had say in this :S

Narkotiq
05-18-2012, 03:38 AM
I am embarrassed of my state as well. People here are about the same as any southern state in the ways of belief and the way they act toward gays and other races besides their own.

I am also gay and of course I didn't choose to be I've had the same amount of girlfriends as i've had boyfriends and I just like guys. I just can't see girls as a sexual thing. Girls to me are there for friendship and that's it. But the hate and ridicule over me being gay.. not only from citizens but the government as well is horrible! Gays have come along way since the "being gay is illegal" days of the 50's but the hate hasn't stopped and it never will, just like with african-americans or arabs in this country still being hated for their race. People are just ignorant and it seems the further south you go the more ignorant the people are. NOT saying all people from the south are ignorant, my boyfriend is from Alabama. But if the government is going to hate on gays and arabs and blacks then so is everyone else. Change will never happen unless the government steps in and says "hey there is nothing wrong with gay". I believe in gay marriage. (and not just because i myself am gay) Think about it, (quoting chad michaels from RuPauls Drag Race) Say you were gay (even if you aren't) and you were in the hospital on your death bed. They wouldnt let your partner (no matter how long you've been together) even come see you because they arent considered family. Wouldnt that hurt? Knowing you are going to die and will never get to see the person you love again before you do die because they arent related to you because you cant get married? I think so.

KillaKayleen
05-22-2012, 02:56 PM
Nothing should matter about what race, sex, marital status, etc... its such bs... I wonder when the day will come that none of this will matter, if it comes...

shadow772
06-05-2012, 08:18 PM
I see nothing wrong with same sex marriage, it not like the world population will go down if they marry or babies will stop being born. I don't understand the concept of a country or stat in this case would have authorities to determine rather or not people can marry. BS!