PDA

View Full Version : Internships

xmxsummer
05-01-2012, 03:19 PM
I'm starting an internship tomorrow (unpaid of course, unfortunately) at my local health department to go along with this course I'm finishing at my technical school. I was wondering if any of you have ever done internships, and if so was it worth it?

I'm looking forward to it, but I'm also a little nervous because I'm always a little nervous around new people at first and tomorrow it'll just be a whole ton of new people >.>

Sammiantha
05-01-2012, 03:44 PM
I've never done one myself but if I'd been offered the opportunity I'd have taken it. I work in HR and quite a lot of my role consists of recruitment, if I had to decide between candidates for a role/interview then somebody who'd interned somewhere would definitely stand out.

Although it'll be a little scary meeting all these new people you never know when they might be able to help you out in the future, or where the internship could lead!

Enjoy your first day :)

xmxsummer
05-01-2012, 04:03 PM
Good point, internships do look good since it gives experience. My mom was like "You may not like it at first, but try to!"

It'll be mostly administrative stuff, like filing and all that so it shouldn't be too bad. I guess I'll just have to see when I get there tomorrow.

SmileYaDead
05-01-2012, 04:17 PM
I'd love to do some internships, but just haven't found the time nor a place. Might be able to do a paid one over the summer, it's not a very long shot, but might not go through either.

If you're nervous at first, then I assume you aren't after a while. :P

xmxsummer
05-01-2012, 04:25 PM
I'd love to do some internships, but just haven't found the time nor a place. Might be able to do a paid one over the summer, it's not a very long shot, but might not go through either.

If you're nervous at first, then I assume you aren't after a while. :P

xD Well I'm not nervous after I get to know the people =p

I hope you do get it =) Paid internships are hard to come by (at least where I live xD)

SmileYaDead
05-01-2012, 04:26 PM
Well, it's sort of like an internship.. It's a job, but *could* be made into an internship.

Becka
05-01-2012, 06:55 PM
I'd say have this one day to cool off and get started, maybe have a bit of thinking time for it. I'm sure you'll do great :)

Meercat
05-01-2012, 09:03 PM
I'm doing sort of an internship through my school in my final year, it's like an unpaid work experience thing.

I've found it to be so much fun but the work place did take a little getting used to.
Also, the big boss man seems to busy to assist me, but one of the newer employees has taken me under her wing so it's now working out great.

Be patient with it, give it a week or so to suss everyone out and get used to the place. I'm sure you'll have a great time and it'll look awesome on your CV. Good luck. :)

xmxsummer
05-01-2012, 09:53 PM
Thanks =)

Yeah I have this woman I'm supposed to 'report to' kind of. I guess she's the one in charge of the interns. I'm sure it'll go fine though, it's from like 10 AM-1 (or 3, since I can work longer then just till 1). I'll be meeting her for the first time tomorrow as well, I just hope she's nice xD