PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else suffer from this?

trix
04-29-2012, 08:29 AM
I have keratosis pilaris which is this:

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

It's on my upper arms and thighs and it's infuriating. No matter how much I exfoliate/moisturise it simply refuses to go away. I don't think it's all that uncommon but it makes me really envy the people I know who don't have it and it also makes me self-conscious in summertime.

If anyone's had it - has it cleared up for you? Any treatments that have made it better?

Meercat
04-29-2012, 09:05 AM
Is it basically where some parts of your skin are never nice and smooth, they will always be bumpy and odd looking? If so, yes. Upper arms and thighs too. :(
I didn't realise it was treatable though, and I figure I'm the only one who notices it on myself.

---------- Post added at 02:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 AM ----------

Post #300 yay xD

Acid
04-29-2012, 09:11 AM
Used to have it, but most of it disappeared after a few years. Been trying a shitload of products back then, but nothing seemed to help so I gave up.

Hope you'll find something though! Or maybe it'll disappear after a while for you too.

Sammiantha
04-29-2012, 10:22 AM
I have it as well, always have (well as long as I can remember) and I'd absolutely love to get rid of it. I've found that exfoliating helps a little but it's still noticeable. Lets hope somebody has a miracle cure ;)

Slasher
04-29-2012, 10:24 AM
I have this often. I'm moisturising my skin every day and it's going away.

Kristin
04-29-2012, 10:42 AM
My sister has this really bad. Like, REALLY bad. On her upper arms just like that. She says she scrubs it everyday in the shower with a course loofa and it helps.

Sammiantha
04-29-2012, 10:43 AM
That sounds like it would be really painful, I'm definitely going to try and moisturise more. It's just so annoying and I don't know what causes it.

Sneakz
04-29-2012, 10:45 AM
I have a friend who has this, but it only gets like that if she takes a shower the night before, instead of in the morning. It may have something to do with dry skin. If moisturizing and exfoliating isn't working for you, you should see a dermatologist and see what they recommend

Sci_Girl
04-29-2012, 10:55 AM
You can see a dermatologist about it, nothing can completely get rid of it but you can minimize the frequency they pop up. Basically the doctor will give you a moisturizer that you apply preferably after a hot shower or bath so that your pores open up. Then you can get into the exfoliants like lactic acid and salicylic acid which can help, and if you have redness they will give you a steroid cream.

Other than that you are basically playing the waiting game for some years until it decides to go away on it's own. People have claimed to eat more foods with Vitamin A help but that is not proven. You can also buy a humidifier and keep it going all day, the spots on your arm are going to be aggravated by dry air so adding the moisture can reduce the frequency that they pop up.

J_L_K_64
04-29-2012, 12:55 PM
i don't mean no offense here, but it just looks like goosebumps to me

Sammich
04-29-2012, 02:40 PM
I have this too! I've had it nearly my entire life. It's not as bad as you have it, though.
My doctor prescribed me some kind of medicine for it a few years back, but it didn't do anything and I stopped using it. I don't really care all that much about whether or not people can see it but I do get a little self-conscious at times.

Kera
04-29-2012, 02:59 PM
I use to have that on my upper arms, still do, but you can barely tell.
I did try a few products, but nothing worked, so I just stopped.

Give it time and it might go away.

crimson24
04-30-2012, 11:27 PM
I also have this and I have had it since I wa a baby

Becka
05-01-2012, 02:23 AM
It's actually on my upper back. And I used to get it on my arms.