PDA

View Full Version : (s) Horror Anime Recommendations

Munna
01-23-2024, 02:55 PM
I am currently in-between seasons of a few shows and would love some spooky filler episodes. Does anyone have any suggestions of some horror/disturbing shows that they really like? I do prefer unsettling over jumpscares, but I am open to your favorites!

I have watched:

Parasyte
The Promised Neverland
Chainsaw Man
Tokyo Ghoul
Death Note
Tengoku Daimakyou (Heavenly Delusion)
Jujutsu Kaisen

I would love to know some specific Junji Ito episodes you like. :takdir:

caviar
01-23-2024, 03:17 PM
Kinda spoiling the tone here, buuuut... Madoka. Puella Magi Madoka Magica. Just trust me.

aymo
01-23-2024, 03:25 PM
elfen lied, paranoia agent

Alister
01-23-2024, 03:43 PM
There are some episodes of Mushishi that I thought were particularly creepy even though it isn't a horror show. It's very dream-like and quiet in general with a main character that goes around helping people resolve supernatural issues caused by wild spirits called Mushi. Each episode is its own thing almost all are disconnected from each other.

the episodes titled Mud Grass, Pickers of Empty Cocoons, Cotton Spores, The Hand That Caresses the Night, and Floral Delusion are my favorite more sinister ones.

kb_neo
01-23-2024, 03:48 PM
Another and Ayakashi: Samurai Horror Tales are horror in the normal sense, and Happy Sugar Life if you want something where the idea of it is disturbing.

I haven’t watched them but there’s also Pupa and Corpse Party.

Sneasel
01-23-2024, 03:59 PM
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni and the following.
And I also count Made in Abyss to Horror.

Munna
01-23-2024, 04:22 PM
Another and Ayakashi: Samurai Horror Tales are horror in the normal sense, and Happy Sugar Life if you want something where the idea of it is disturbing.

I haven’t watched them but there’s also Pupa and Corpse Party.
Ohhh I actually watched a bunch of Let’s Plays of Corpse Party many years back, how did I not realize it was an anime?! :o

Thank you all for the suggestions! <3 I’m super curious to look into some of these.

majoichi
01-23-2024, 05:04 PM
Dark Gathering guys!

solaropposite
01-23-2024, 05:22 PM
Don't know if you would classify this as Horror, it is very dark and unsettling, but Made in Abyss is a must watch IMO.

Munna
01-24-2024, 04:18 PM
Thank you all for the suggestions! ^_^ I wanted to add Tengoku Daimakyou (Heavenly Delusion) for anyone who may be lurking, as well. Was the first anime I watched and went straight to the manga to see how the story continued... it's messed up but super fascinating. It's ongoing, too!

oddish
02-11-2024, 09:49 AM
Elfen lied
Shiki
Another
Deadman wonderland
Ghost hunt
Jujutsu kaisen
Higurashi When They Cry

They're not all exclusively horror
But there's horror feeling vibes to them all at some point
:)

Rhymes with Witch
02-11-2024, 11:47 AM
Seconding Shiki, Deadman Wonderland and Ghost Hunt. Would also suggest Goblin Box (Mōryō no Hako), whose anime character designs are by CLAMP.

phantasia
02-11-2024, 12:04 PM
OMW I did not even know anime had horror, learn something new every day

KJiU
02-16-2024, 04:36 AM
Munna , i see nobody mention about Yami Shibai / Yamishibai (Theatre of Darkness / Japanese Ghost Stories) , it tells a story every chapters currently ongoing at season 12. Not sure if it suits your taste but at least it fits the category i think xD

Another 2 i could think of would be : Jigoku Sensei Nūbē ( an old sch less horror but kinda more on exorcist demons with his demon hands ) & Death Parade

Rattata
02-16-2024, 04:58 AM
augh when is izumaki gonna come out i'm on the hype train and have been for several years

e: wait theres a promised neverland anime?? auuuuuuuugh i loved that manga so much can my heart take going through that again

Munna
02-16-2024, 12:36 PM
Munna , i see nobody mention about Yami Shibai / Yamishibai (Theatre of Darkness / Japanese Ghost Stories) , it tells a story every chapters currently ongoing at season 12. Not sure if it suits your taste but at least it fits the category i think xD

Another 2 i could think of would be : Jigoku Sensei Nūbē ( an old sch less horror but kinda more on exorcist demons with his demon hands ) & Death Parade

Ohhh I like it being split up by chapter! I love when it’s just easy to consume/binge because I’m usually watching several other animes in tandem haha. Is Death Parade the one with the elevators?? I always get some of these mixed up. :)

Aero
02-16-2024, 12:38 PM
Monster (Naoki Urasawa) for sure. It's a slow burn, but so thoughtful and thought-provoking. I believe the Anime version is on Netflix and is nearly 1:1 with the Manga.

Nyu
02-16-2024, 05:06 PM
Some that haven't been mentioned:

Dororo
Japan's sengoku period setting, a boy has to get his body parts back by killing demons.

Dorohedoro
Post-apocalyptic future setting with sorcerers and a guy trying to remember who he is.

Gakkou Gurashi!
Modern setting, plot twist on ep 1 not sure how much to say without spoiling it :P

KJiU
02-16-2024, 09:12 PM
Ohhh I like it being split up by chapter! I love when it’s just easy to consume/binge because I’m usually watching several other animes in tandem haha. Is Death Parade the one with the elevators?? I always get some of these mixed up. :)

Haha hope you enjoy it :D , Yeah Death Parade is the one with 2 elevators that go hell or heaven after playing the game ;)