PDA

View Full Version : Script & program help

raiinman
01-18-2024, 11:40 AM
Hey guys, I have nothing but time on my hands and i would like to know how to can go about learning to make scripts

Edit: bit zealous and manic thinking this morning about the "improve stealth core" I have coded before but y'all are correct that it is way to advance for me

Buizel
01-18-2024, 11:57 AM
Stealthcore is an entire program that Joe has been managing for 10+ years. I think the only ones capable of improving it would be either Joe himself or Bat. If there's a feature that hasn't been requested yet that you'd like to see added to the program, you could ask Joe about it and he'll consider the request. :)

I can't help much on the learning part, but I do see that some Reddit users offer codes that let new programmers take courses to introduce them to coding on the r/learningprogramming subreddit.

Bat
01-18-2024, 12:07 PM
Moved to the Programming Help forum, raiinman.

kittyray
01-18-2024, 12:16 PM
I'm a professional developer and former educator, and the two things you mentioned are of a pretty different scope. Like Buizel mentioned, Joe has been maintaining StealthCore for years (with Bat's help) and there's a lot of work gone into it, so improving on it would be a lot for a novice (or even somebody more advanced who is unfamiliar). If you're completely new to programming, as in, haven't written a line of code before in your life, I like to recommend playing around with visual-based things like blockly.games, it can get you used to some of the general concepts of programming like sets of instructions, conditionals, and loops. A lot of the games on there show javascript snippets doing the same behavior, which will be helpful if you're interested in making scripts for neopets as they're both in javascript. I'm multi-tasking right now, and I've been a bit out of the early-programming-education loop for a couple years, but I can do my best to answer any questions you've got!

raiinman
01-18-2024, 04:32 PM
bit zealous and manic thinking this morning about the "improve stealth core" I have coded before but y'all are correct that it is way to advance for me..

I'll stick with learning userscripts. im sorry everyone for the wasted time :-\

Bat
01-18-2024, 04:49 PM
There's no need to apologize, raiinman. We appreciate your eagerness to jump right in, but like kittyray said, it's a tall order to replicate everything that goes into programs like StealthCORE. We're talking about knowing the ins and outs of interacting with dozens of unique Neopets experiences on top of being able to compensate for anything that goes wrong in the process, to say nothing of the anti-botting measures that the Neopets team put in place to deter automation. It's a lot of work, but you can learn it just the same as the rest of us if you apply yourself. It's good to start with something fairly simple and work your way up to the harder stuff, and user scripts are generally as easy as it gets. If you have any questions, be it script or even program related, then don't hesitate to ask. We'd love to see more coders climbing the mountain around here!

kittyray
01-18-2024, 05:01 PM
bit zealous and manic thinking this morning about the "improve stealth core" I have coded before but y'all are correct that it is way to advance for me..

I'll stick with learning userscripts. im sorry everyone for the wasted time :-\

Nah, don't apologize, I've def gotten those over-excited impulsive moments. Not wasted time, there's still plenty to learn with userscripts or anything else you might be interested in!