PDA

View Full Version : Non-committal, streamlined anime suggestions?

Pepper-Mint
01-12-2024, 09:07 PM
I'm looking for some suggestions on anime that are relatively non-committal and streamlined.
By non-committal I mean ones that aren't still ongoing and less than 50-ish episodes, and by streamlined I mean ones that don't have huge chunks of filler.
Most of the current mainstream stuff I've heard either has a metric ton of filler, or is simply much longer/still ongoing. And I've already seen the older mainstream stuff. I'm more than happy to hear if any of you think otherwise, though. And those aren't "harsh" boundaries, if it's 70 episodes but worth it I'll give it a shot. :)

So, I'm looking for recommendations.
I like horror the most, plus space opera, comedy, action, and even slice of life if there's an ongoing plot.
I also really like the weird 5-10 minute episodes that can all be knocked out or fit a weird niche, like Comical Psychosomatic Medicine.

Swablu
01-12-2024, 09:26 PM
Your Lie In April, Angel Beats, Horimiya, Fruits Basket, Gosick.

These are all relatively good in my opinion and aren't that long.

aymo
01-12-2024, 11:40 PM
99% you've already seen these since they are older classics... BUT...

Elfen Lied - 13 episodes

Paranoia Agent - 13 episodes

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - 64 episodes

Revolutionary Girl Utena - 39 episodes

Nana - 47 episodes

FILMS: Paprika, Perfect Blue

I will think about newer anime and come back with some more recommendations, but I agree with what you're saying for the most part about newer stuff.

Peaches_and_Mocha
01-12-2024, 11:47 PM
99% you've already seen these since they are older classics... BUT...

Elfen Lied - 13 episodes

Paranoia Agent - 13 episodes

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - 64 episodes

Revolutionary Girl Utena - 39 episodes

FILMS: Paprika, Perfect Blue

I will think about newer anime and come back with some more recommendations, but I agree with what you're saying for the most part about newer stuff.

Elfen Lied is SUCH a good show. I need to rewatch it. I absolutely love that music box theme

- - - Updated - - -

I'm looking for some suggestions on anime that are relatively non-committal and streamlined.
By non-committal I mean ones that aren't still ongoing and less than 50-ish episodes, and by streamlined I mean ones that don't have huge chunks of filler.
Most of the current mainstream stuff I've heard either has a metric ton of filler, or is simply much longer/still ongoing. And I've already seen the older mainstream stuff. I'm more than happy to hear if any of you think otherwise, though. And those aren't "harsh" boundaries, if it's 70 episodes but worth it I'll give it a shot. :)

So, I'm looking for recommendations.
I like horror the most, plus space opera, comedy, action, and even slice of life if there's an ongoing plot.
I also really like the weird 5-10 minute episodes that can all be knocked out or fit a weird niche, like Comical Psychosomatic Medicine.

Most of the recommendations I received from the the thread I made last week are non-committal. I combined all of them into a "master post" to include a short synopsis. I'll go through them again and add the episode length just to make sure

Pepper-Mint
01-13-2024, 12:11 AM
Elfen Lied is SUCH a good show. I need to rewatch it. I absolutely love that music box theme

- - - Updated - - -

Most of the recommendations I received from the the thread I made last week are non-committal. I combined all of them into a "master post" to include a short synopsis. I'll go through them again and add the episode length just to make sure

I saw Elfen Lied and really liked it! Short, solid horror, decent plot, and yes that gorgeous intro! ;)
And thank you for linking that! I saw the post last week but wasn't sure if it included what I was looking for and was a bit intimidated, so I appreciate you putting in the effort that also includes the synopsis. I'll definitely go through it. :$

Synth Salazzle
01-13-2024, 10:41 AM
mirai nikki is a pretty solid one. Short, sweet, awesome. Pretty gory and horror.

PrettySarcastic
01-27-2024, 06:47 PM
How do you feel about the 'girls with guns' subgenre?

Two of my favorites fall under this -- Early 2000's anime, when I was first getting into the genre.

Noir - It follows two young female assassins who embark on a journey to seek answers about their past. While at first they seem to be only vaguely connected to each other, developments throughout the episodes indicate that their lives have been intertwined since childhood.

Madlax - Madlax is an ‘agent’, a freelance soldier and natural killer who nonetheless hates violence, working for a man she only knows as a voice on a telephone in Gazth-Sonika, a south-east Asian nation wracked by a bloody civil war. Margaret is a student in faraway Nafrece, sleepy and quiet, who seems to drift through life as if in a daze and whose only link to a past she can’t recall is a tattered picture book with mystical words in it. Yet events will be set in motion which will set these two girls spinning towards each other as the mystery of their shared past threatens to come to fulfillment with cataclysmic results…

Both are 26 episodes, and both have gorgeous soundtracks. I watched both as ADV dubs back in "the day," but you may enjoy the original audio and subs more, whatever your preference.

There's a 3rd "spiritual successor" to this duo called El Cazador de la Bruja, but I never made it to this one. Now I might have to! :)