PDA

View Full Version : RYu Ideas and requests 🌈

phantasia
01-10-2024, 02:04 AM
I didn't see a similar board so I am sorry if I missed it

I would really love a colour-changing (like you can change it to anything hex colour) background... I would make it sold and call it photographer paper background....
Although maybe that is just to easy and plain.
Otherwide I would LOVE a classic Grunge photographer background look.

Ok I need to make these so people can see what I am thinking. I can do that later today

Did anyone get a guide on making Ryu backgrounds? Any tips to keep in mind.

Shinx
01-10-2024, 02:13 AM
It would be cool to have some userbar scenes for Ryu, like lavalicious etc that'd be so cool! or animated colours like a rainbow cycle or something! That's probably a lot of admin though

Bat
01-10-2024, 08:01 AM
I feel as though that would be a bit grating to watch as it clunks along at a whopping 2 fps.

Excalibur
01-10-2024, 08:34 AM
I feel as though that would be a bit grating to watch as it clunks along at a whopping 2 fps.

i spit out my coffee at the thought lol

as far as a guide or background making, there was a thread for a competition of ryu backgrounds that list the users that participated. may i suggest reaching out and asking them ? i know Lyri and Infected make alot for people as well as GWN/Charmander
phantasia

Charmander
01-10-2024, 08:45 AM
Here is the thread that Excalibur is referring to Ryu Scene Creation Contest ([Only registered and activated users can see links]). That has the guidelines of what was accepted at the time. In saying this that may not mean those standards hold now.

It think it would be a bit more difficult to have animated backgrounds given the pixel style that nature that the official Ryu bars have. As Bat said watching the animation at the 2fps would be....less than appealing. Speaking from my personal experience kin making backgrounds for the custom Ryu bars I do a variety of just modified rendered pictures or just solid colour. Any animations are done with zooming or panning or object movement. The struggle I have sometimes is making sure the Ryu doesn't get lost in the background visually especially if inhave movement in the background. Anyways that is my.2 cents. I hope the resource helps you make something for us to see though!

Bat
01-10-2024, 09:07 AM
For context, here are the color transition keys and in-betweens from the Repsational userbar, but slowed to the animation speed of the Ryugotchi userbar:

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

And here are just the color transition keys:

One takes about 1:20 to complete, and the other is close to triggering an epilepsy. The animation steps for the Ryugotchi userbar don't allow for smooth action, but that's by design.

Alister
01-10-2024, 10:59 AM
making a Ryu scene was so much fun. When I was working on my contest submission my husband commented several times that I seemed like I was having a blast with whatever I was working on.

My tip for making a scene isn't as relevant now as it would have been a couple of years ago when we had the contest itself, but my advice is to be really deliberate about the mix of light/dark and contrasting colors you use. There's been so many new paint releases since the contest that it goes a long way to mitigate the issue, but when my submission got implemented I realized that using a mix of so many different colors made ryu visibility a problem.

Paints that made the ryu stand out against the yellow/greens usually made the ryu blend in too much with the darker reds and vice versa. It's especially hard to see for ryus that are more of an outline in form (ex, dog stage two) compared to ryus that have filled-in, larger bodies (dog stage three). By contrast, Stardust and Valora's submissions use a lot more consistent color palettes that lets ryus stay visible across the entire scene. I made a little Hilltop Zone for fun after the contest and this one would probably have the same issue with visibility unless someone was using the black paint.

The variety in paints does help the issue a ton since there are so many more options now, but if I were to redo my scene I'd be more cognizant of what gradient of colors I was using.

Bat
01-10-2024, 11:28 AM
I have a soft spot for the scenes you chose, Alister. Sonic 2 was the first video game I was ever given as a kid, and I played the heck out of it! The zone scenes are super nostalgic! I sort of screwed over color contrasting with the Ryugotchis when I implemented the paints, so muted scenes went out the window.

aymo
01-10-2024, 11:33 AM
if we can request animals i was thinking Penguin, or maybe a hamster that evolves into a capybara

phantasia
01-10-2024, 11:50 AM
Thanks Bat I understand why a lavaliuous thing cant work now.

I looked at the previous competition and there really were some great ones. Also saw that many did go on to be scenes.
What about a competition again?

Bat
01-10-2024, 11:58 AM
I wouldn't be opposed to another community event, but I'm not sure if we have the same draw as we did back when Fabulous hosted originally. If it was big and spectacular with lots of custom graphics and stuff, then maybe we'd get some attention.

I have a bunch of quality of life updates in the Ryugotchis that I've been meaning to push, a few in-game mechanics that I've left turned off because of insensitive timing, and a few new Ryugotchi designs that have been collecting dust. I need to finish drawing the userbar animations for additional rewards as well. I have lots of stuff piling up.

Shinx
01-10-2024, 12:57 PM

you right you right

phantasia
01-10-2024, 03:57 PM
I wouldn't be opposed to another community event, but I'm not sure if we have the same draw as we did back when Fabulous hosted originally. If it was big and spectacular with lots of custom graphics and stuff, then maybe we'd get some attention.

I have a bunch of quality of life updates in the Ryugotchis that I've been meaning to push, a few in-game mechanics that I've left turned off because of insensitive timing, and a few new Ryugotchi designs that have been collecting dust. I need to finish drawing the userbar animations for additional rewards as well. I have lots of stuff piling up.

Maybe we should do it over the June/July holiday period to get a better draw or easter time? I am willing to help how ever you need me

PrettySarcastic
01-10-2024, 08:34 PM
I had tremendous fun making the rose garden background way back in the olden days when Ryus were very new. :) It felt almost like being a kid and coloring again, painstakingly editing individual pixels!

Running a competition/event requires a lot of legwork and it can be super disappointing if you don't get the participation you want. May be worth running a sort of fishing for interest type poll. Then whatever participation you get people saying they'll contribute, cut that by about half, because people fall out over the duration, have real life things come up, or don't find the process as fun as they thought it would be when they started.

Lyrichord
01-10-2024, 09:11 PM
I'd be stoked to have a new background contest! I have getting better at pixel art on my 2024 resolution list, and this seems like the perfect application. :$

Maybe we should do it over the June/July holiday period to get a better draw or easter time? I am willing to help how ever you need me

I think the issue with June/July has typically been that's the Altador Cup and the aftermath? It's also prime vacation time in the States.

Thank you PrettySarcastic for the Rose Garden scene! It's one of my favorites! :$

Shinx
01-10-2024, 09:11 PM
For context, here are the color transition keys and in-betweens from the Repsational userbar, but slowed to the animation speed of the Ryugotchi userbar:

And here are just the color transition keys:

One takes about 1:20 to complete, and the other is close to triggering an epilepsy. The animation steps for the Ryugotchi userbar don't allow for smooth action, but that's by design.

Ok not gonna lie I didn't realise how the Ryu bars worked speed wise etc but this makes sense
I will suggest static things going forward haha

Infected
01-11-2024, 03:58 AM
From personal experience, animated Ryu backgrounds cannot be a thing. It'll be too much, too slow, and the Ryu will definitely get lost in all that action like Bat said.

But I'd be down for another contest, or help host it or whatever help would be required!

Just checking, would people be interested in a tutorial to make custom Ryu's or Ryu backgrounds in the simplest way?

phantasia
01-11-2024, 04:45 AM
From personal experience, animated Ryu backgrounds cannot be a thing. It'll be too much, too slow, and the Ryu will definitely get lost in all that action like Bat said.

But I'd be down for another contest, or help host it or whatever help would be required!

Just checking, would people be interested in a tutorial to make custom Ryu's or Ryu backgrounds in the simplest way?

I would be interested yes. Not only that but also how to do your own custom userbars and avatars in a simple way

Synth Salazzle
01-11-2024, 04:50 AM

Is one of them a synthesizer for a pet?

DarkSkies
01-11-2024, 11:37 PM
I'm not sure if I'd be able to do this considering I'm terrible with digital drawing but I def would love a newbie guide about userbar/scenes design, always something new to learn about :tiger:

fireheart
01-12-2024, 12:02 AM
i think itd be nice if there was some sort of toggle to standardize all ryus appearance that you come across - i love taking care of ryus, but some people seem intent on making it so you cant tell their ryu apart from the scene. then i cant tell if poop needs scooped, what the hearts are at, etc etc. itd be nice if there was the ability to make every ryu "high contrast" on your screen or smth!

phantasia
01-27-2024, 05:49 PM
I understand that you cant feed or play with the Ryu if its sleeping but maybe we could at least scoop the poop? I feel so bad for the sleeping ones lying in between the poop

Swablu
01-27-2024, 06:42 PM
Ryu masks for the ones that are currently sick.