PDA

View Full Version : Please advice on these

phantasia
01-02-2024, 05:21 AM
Ok I am looking at what to watch next. I am looking at higher rated things that is available on the platform I am using

Arcane (2021)
Rick and Morty (2013)
Blue eye samurai
scavenger reign
Castlevania

I all this anime. You can only sort by animation so not always completely sure

Pepper-Mint
01-02-2024, 05:25 AM
Castlevania by a long shot, honestly.
I don't know how to word anything without spoiling much, which is a fault of my own, but it is absolutely worth taking the time of your life to see. It's gorgeous, powerful, and meaningful.

phantasia
01-02-2024, 05:29 AM
I don't know how to word anything without spoiling much, which is a fault of my own, but it is absolutely worth taking the time of your life to see. It's gorgeous, powerful, and meaningful.

Perfect I will go with that.

I am just going to watch the last airbender movie now - I mean I need to compare

Pepper-Mint
01-02-2024, 05:34 AM
Perfect I will go with that.

I am just going to watch the last airbender movie now - I mean I need to compare

The live-action movie that is already released is extremely bad. They are making a new one that has better potential, but we are waiting for its release.
If you mean to compare shows, though, the Avatar animated series is another top-tier show to see. It's older, so some of the humor is a little dated and awkward, but the actual character development, story lines, effort into the bending styles and their origins, are all incredible. It definitely beats most of what is released to this day, still.

I hope you enjoy what you watch!! ;)

Buizel
01-02-2024, 05:47 AM
I've heard very good things about Arcane and Castlevania, though I haven't watched them myself. :) Also, if you've ever played Cyberpunk 2077, people have said Cyberpunk Edgerunners (animated) is a great add on to the video game.

Excalibur
01-02-2024, 08:06 AM
Ok I am looking at what to watch next. I am looking at higher rated things that is available on the platform I am using

Arcane (2021)
Rick and Morty (2013)
Blue eye samurai
scavenger reign
Castlevania

Castlevania and Rick & Morty anything season 7 or less. the new VA is okay? but when i watched one of the new episodes i wasnt entirely sold on the "comedy"

Ice
01-02-2024, 09:29 AM
Arcane! It's so good - honestly as an anti-LoL person because of all the toxicity around it, I was hesitant to watch it but it's amazing. The animation, aesthetics, music, voice acting, story, characters, world building, everything is top tier! The creative team really knocked it out of the park. S2 when??

Personally I would strike Rick and Morty from your list because I find it very crude and low brow humor and have issues with the kinds of toxic/misogynistic/offensive rhetoric it produces but maybe that's just because R&M fans are generally horrible lol

tulpa19
01-02-2024, 10:14 AM
I don't play League and I have some resentment about a particular sight gag in the first episode, but even with those reservations I can say on visuals alone Arcane is the best 3D animation I've ever watched and it's not close! Castlevania is also very well-made, it's fun and pulpy and bloody and scratches an itch in the part of my brain that loves power metal :smiley_simmons:

caviar
01-02-2024, 10:42 AM
Rick & Morty has been kinda steeped in controversy lately because of the scandal that happened with the series creator/lead voice actor. I really enjoyed the first season and the second season I think? But I don't remember how much further I got after that. I think they started to get into some icky, taboo territory, and I have no idea how things with the new voice actors for the title characters are going. Up to you if you enjoy the kind of humor they do. I personally used to love some of the Interdimensional Cable bits they did.

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

Peaches_and_Mocha
01-02-2024, 11:10 AM
Rick and Morty (2013)

I find it absolutely comical that you placed Rick and Morty in the Anime Category. Its a good show, definitely worth a watch if you like improv humor.

phantasia
01-02-2024, 11:48 AM
I find it absolutely comical that you placed Rick and Morty in the Anime Category. Its a good show, definitely worth a watch if you like improv humor.

ok but not anime because its not from Japan?

Synth Salazzle
01-02-2024, 12:12 PM

as a major castlevania fan is it worth? (I like the old games way too much I dont know much about the series past symphony of the night so if it's all new lore idk anything about it.)

Peaches_and_Mocha
01-02-2024, 12:43 PM
ok but not anime because its not from Japan?

Technically, yes?

TLDR; Disney had a HUGE influence on North American Cartoons, while Japanese anime took a different direction by focusing on realism, complexity, and detail

Long Answer:

In North America a vast majority of animation is considered "cartoons" and has a significant stylistic difference compared to anime, which is the standard in Japan.

Historically, anime really exploded in Japan after Disney released their cartoon in the 1950s after the war. Originally Japanese cartoons looked quite similar to Disney (note, Astro Boy). Japanese animations studios decided to a take a different direction with they stylistic choices, namely the amount of detail, realism, and complexity put into the characters and backgrounds over the next 30ish years. The movie Akira (1988) is the "single most influential anime film ever" because of its attention to detail and caused a shift in anime to be targeted towards more mature audiences.

Here's the video I watched

In terms of North American Cartoons, the "Golden Ages" were between the 1920's to the 1960's which set the foundation to the styalistic choices animation studios make today (note, Looney Toons, Disney). Disney has been by far the %1 contributor to how we see animation today, specifically due to consistently releasing incredible feature length films such as Snow White, Bambi and Sleeping Beauty. HOWEVER, these were all either feature length films, or animated shorts played before a movie. With Disney's success, there was a huge demand to put cartoon on TV, which resulted in VERY simple designs with as little frames as possible (note, The Flinstones, The Jetsons, Charlie Brown). Since many of these cartoons were not child friendly, a lot of parents complained resulting in a lot of censorship. The combined efforts of low quality output and censorship resulted in what was known as the "Dark Ages" of animation. However, by 1985, Disney made a HUGE comeback, resulting in their own TV Broadcasting station. This caused an explosion in new availability of cartoons on TV, with Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network following suit. Adult Cartoons also became a whole new category thanks to the release of the Simpsons, Family Guy, and Futurama

Here's the video I watched:

Pepper-Mint
01-02-2024, 03:19 PM
as a major castlevania fan is it worth? (I like the old games way too much I dont know much about the series past symphony of the night so if it's all new lore idk anything about it.)

In my opinion, definitely, especially if you're a fan of the old games.

Shinx
01-02-2024, 04:49 PM
I'd suggest Arcane out of that list
Could I also recommend you check out sword art online? I find that a good entry-level anime also ^_^ (others may disagree) but it was the first anime I watched and I love it

phantasia
01-04-2024, 03:17 AM

I really love the opeingin music but and the drawing style but I don't know if I love the story

infestedvirus
01-04-2024, 04:31 AM
Rick and Morty... even tho its always the same story.

Junellie
04-04-2024, 09:08 PM
My only complaint about Castlevania is that it covers the events of Castlevania III + story going off in a new way afterwards, rather than seguing into the events of Symphony of the Night (my favourite in the series) after a timeskip. Though I will concede that the characters did deserve their happy ending, so perhaps that's not so bad.