PDA

View Full Version : Obscure Anime Recommendations?

Peaches_and_Mocha
01-01-2024, 06:23 PM
I've run out of popular anime to watch so I've been picking titles out of random to watch. Has anyone stepped out of their comfort zone to do this?

I'm recently a huge fan of romance and day in the life anime so here's a couple that I found and really enjoyed:

Honey and Clover (36 Episodes)

A day in the life of students in an art college trying to find success in their future careers. Some romance, but nothing concrete. The students have flaws and are very poor which makes the story very engaging and relatable

Skip and Loafer (12 Episodes)

A day in the life of a highschool girl moving from her home village to the big city to pursue her goal of becoming the mayor of her village.

The Masterful Cat is Depressed Again (13 Episodes)

A day in the life of an adult woman who has a very hard time taking care of herself. Her housecat picks up the slack and takes deep pride in it.

The Ice Guy and His Cool Female Colleague (12 Episodes)

A very cute and sweet romance story between two office colleagues. This world has decedents of mythological beings living everyday life.

UPDATE:

I decided to make a list with a brief synopsis of all the anime recommended in this thread.

Chihayafuru (75 Episodes)

A mix of slice of life rom and sports anime, about a traditional Japanese game called Karuta. Its very engaging, despite the premise, and super heartfelt. Deserves to be way more popular than it is.

Do It Yourself!! (12 Episodes)

A slice of life anime about a girl joining a DIY club. A story about friendship and seeing things through to the end

Reference ([Only registered and activated users can see links])

A Place Further Than The Universe (13 Episodes)

This was recommended twice in this thread! I'm actually watching it now and can vouch for how good it is!

A story about an anxious highschool girl afraid of wasting her youth. She meets another girl dedicated to traveling to Antarctica in search of her missing mother. The two of them, with the help of people they meet along the way, work together to make their dream a reality

Sound! Euphonium (13 Episodes)

A story about a girl who is dragged into joining a sub-par band club. Despite her regrettable past, the club must work together to succeed if they want to compete in the nationals!

Time of Eve (Eve no Jikan) (6 Episodes)

A futuristic anime where androids housekeepers are common. However, they are not seen or treated as people. A young boy stumbles upon a new perspective on his android housekeeper after finding out that a café treats them as equals.

BanG Dream! (39 Episodes)

A friendship story about a girl who discovered a passion for music after hearing the rhythm of the “star beat” when gazing at the night sky. After many failed attempts at finding an interest at her all-girls highschool, she decides to create a band so that she can feel that rhythm once again.

Tamako Market (12 Episodes)

A Romeo and Juliet love story with a twist. A girl who belongs to a mochi family meets a talking bird from a distant land asking for help. However, the bird develops an addiction to mochi and becomes too fat to fly, so he decides to live with the girl instead. Meanwhile, the girls friend is hiding his true feelings from her, as their fathers are fierce mochi rivals.

Hyouka (22 Episodes)

A mystery hunting day in the life anime about a boy whose ambition is to do as little as possible. However, his older sister forces him to join a club to save it from disbandment. He meets another club member and becomes entranced in her personality. Together, they solve trivial, yet intriguing mysteries.

Healer Girl (12 Episodes)

A friendship story about a girl who is naturally talented at singing in training to become a healer through “vocal medicine”. The girl and her friends meet other healers in their training, who help them to learn that there is more to vocal medicine than just studying.

Keep your hands off Eizouken! (Eizouken ni wa Te wo Dasu na!) (12 Episodes)

A creative love letter to animation. A passionate artist and her logical friend meet a famous but likeminded individual after saving her from her overprotective bodyguard. The trio decide to start an animation club under the guise “motion picture club” to create an awe-inspiring animation.

Bocchi the Rock (12 Episodes)

A lonely girl finds friendship after joining a band. Although they are sub-par, their passion for music drives them forward as they strive to put on a good performance.

Barakamon (12 Episodes)

An arrogant calligraphy prodigy from Tokyo loses his temper at a veteran artist after having his art called “unoriginal”. Forced into exile by his father into a rural community, the boy must now find new inspiration to develop a unique art style. However, the wacky members of the community seem to keep getting in the way of his peace, teaching him many more lessons than he anticipated.

Skull-face Bookseller Honda (Gaikotsu Shotenin Honda-san) (12 Episodes)
A funny anime about skeleton bookseller and his eccentric coworkers who deals with the day-to-day struggles of working at a bookshop.

Tatami Galaxy (11 Episodes)

A sort of semi-romantic slice of life with a little bit of a cynical tone, following a guy in college who is disillusioned with his life but wants to confess his feelings to his crush. It's directed by Masaki Yuasa (Devilman Crybaby, Eizouken, Inu-Oh)

Night Is Short, Walk On Girl (Yoru wa Mijikashi Arukeyo Otome)

Sequal Movie for Tatami Galaxy

Ping Pong The Animation (11 Episodes)

Also by Masaki Yuasa. A ping-pong champion duo is humbled when an ex-national player from China comes to Japan to compete. On their journey to become the greatest ping-pong champions, they constantly encounter greater opponents. They must face and overcome their inner demons if they want to become the best.

I'm In Love With The Villainess (Watashi no Oshi wa Akuyaku Reijou) (12 Episodes)

A reincarnation anime about a woman who wakes up in a dating sim game. With no interest in the male candidates, she jumps at the chance to win the heart of the game’s romantic rival

Reference ( [Only registered and activated users can see links])

Robotech (85 Episodes)

Basically Top Gun and Independence Day with jet fighters that transform. The first season hits on so many themes and gets you really hooked because it's not gimmmicky goofy and is pretty serious. You really get invested in each character's life and eagerly await the conclusion of the saga to see what happens to them. There's other "sagas", but the first season is OG

Made in Abyss (25 Episodes)

The journey of a girl who aspires to become explorer or “Diver” of the Abyss, a deep cavern filled with antient creatures and relics. The novice diver meets an android who looks identical to a human but has lost his memory. In search of his memory, the two dive deeper into the Abyss, not knowing what may be lurking down below.

The Daily Life of the Immortal King (Xian Wang de Richang Shenguho) (27 Episodes)

A carefree highschooler appears to have low spiritual force, but actually contain enough power to destroy the world at any moment. To mitigate this, his parents resorted to using an amulet to contain the power. However, the amulet weakens over time and is now on the verge of breaking. It’s a race against time to fix it.

I Got a Cheat Skill in Another World and Became Unrivaled in The Real World, Too (Isekai de Cheat Skill wo Te ni Shita Ore wa, Genjitsu Sekai wo mo Musou Suru: Level Up wa Jinsei wo Kaeta) (13 Episodes)

A boy ostracized by everyone, even his family, finds a mysterious door to a new realm where he gains game-like stats and skills. The door he emerges from belonged to a sage, whose home is filled with powerful weapons, equipment, and crops. With these newfound boons, they boy has a new chance to achieve his true potential.

Reference ( [Only registered and activated users can see links] su_Sekai_wo_mo_Musou_Suru__Level_Up_wa_Jinsei_wo_K aeta)

Campfire Cooking in Another World with My Absurd Skill (Tondemo Skill de Isekai Hourou Meshi) (12 Episodes)

A Salaryman is summoned as a hero to a new realm by a royal family to help fight against their enemies. Wary of their true intentions, he talks his way out of it by claiming his only skill, “Online Supermarket” is non-combat. However, this skill becomes useful, as luxury food and utensils can be purchased from Japan, allowing him to cook delicious food. Unable to resist his cooking, a mythical wolf agrees to become his familiar, and together they travel the world as an adventurer and merchant all while enjoying delicious meals.

The Reincarnation Of The Strongest Exorcist In Another World (Saikyou Onmyouji no Isekai Tenseiki) (13 Episodes)

An all-powerful exorcist dies while seeking greater power but is reborn in a new world as the illegitimate son of a noble family who prides themselves on magic. He is however, largely ignored due to his lineage and lack of magical abilities. The reborn son uses the knowledge of his past life to make valuable allies and explore the limits of his abilities, but must take care not to repeat the mistakes from his past life.

Summer Time Render (Summer Time Rendering) (25 Episodes)

This one is hard to put simply so I am going to copy and paste the synopsis ( [Only registered and activated users can see links])

After his parents died, Shinpei Ajiro lived with the Kofune sisters, Mio and Ushio, but he has since moved to live on his own in Tokyo. But after Ushio drowns while trying to save the young Shiori Kobayakawa, he returns home to mourn her departure. However, bruises around Ushio's neck bring her cause of death into question.

Taking a step back, Shinpei becomes convinced there must be another explanation. Dangerous entities roam among the islanders, and a vision of deceased Ushio asks him to "save Mio" as her final request. He is certain that something is afoot—and Ushio's death is only a piece of the puzzle.

With the help of Mio and various others, Shinpei struggles to forge a future in which he, his friends, and family can stay alive. But the more he investigates, the more impossible such a future seems. This darkness infiltrates his home island. Just how much more suffering will he go through before finding the right path to save it all?

MANGA

Canis series by ZAKK

A Yaoi story with a beautiful and unique art style and well written plot. The story begins with a hatter who encounters a young man who came to Japan to die after being involved with a seedy organization in America. The hatter rescues the young man, and their relationship blossoms.

Reference - SAGEOFTHE6Pack ([Only registered and activated users can see links])

foxe
01-01-2024, 06:36 PM
Oooo, I have just the thing for you!

Chihayafuru is definitely a lesser known anime, but it is soooo good. Its a mix of slice of life rom and sports anime, about a traditional Japanese game called Karuta. Its very engaging, despite the premise, and super heartfelt. Deserves to be way more popular than it is.

Also (not obscure but) if you haven't watched the reboot of Fruits Basket yet, I'd also recommend that.

TsUNaMy WaVe
01-02-2024, 06:21 AM
Haha say no more! I almost only watch anime that aren't under the "popular shows" umbrella.

As far as romance goes I can recommend HaruChika (well, it has some romance) and Yagate Kimi ni Naru (this one is yuri - girls love).

But I have so many lesser known SoL anime I can recommend, like:
- Do It Yourself!!
- A Place Further Than The Universe
- Sound! Euphonium
- Time of Eve
- BanG Dream! It's MyGO!!!!!
- Tamako Market
- Hyouka

Let me know if you need any more lol

Sneasel
01-02-2024, 06:31 AM
Mhh I don't know if they are poular or not, but I really enjoyed these:

-Healer Girl
-Keep your hands off Eizouken
-A Place further than the Universe
-Bocchi the Rock
-Barakamon
-Skull-face Bookseller Honda (as a Bookseller myself, this was so funny and real)

tulpa19
01-02-2024, 10:24 AM
Tatami Galaxy (and its spiritual sequel movie Night Is Short, Walk On Girl) for sure. TG is a sort of semi-romantic slice of life with a little bit of a cynical tone, following a guy in college who is disillusioned with his life but wants to confess his feelings to his crush. It's directed by Masaki Yuasa (Devilman Crybaby, Eizouken, Inu-Oh, fav anime director ever lol) and really changed my life as an artist in a big way.

Also, it's a manga and not animated, but if you're interested at all in BL romance drama I really enjoyed the Canis series by ZAKK. Super beautiful art and a pretty unique style for manga!

Aero
01-02-2024, 10:27 AM

Chihayafuru is definitely a lesser known anime, but it is soooo good. Its a mix of slice of life rom and sports anime, about a traditional Japanese game called Karuta. Its very engaging, despite the premise, and super heartfelt. Deserves to be way more popular than it is.

Also (not obscure but) if you haven't watched the reboot of Fruits Basket yet, I'd also recommend that.

OMG are you me we have the same taste. I've been reading Chihayafuru since I was in high school (I'm nearly 30 now!) and I finally got to read the ending and eeeeeeeeeee. Also Furuba is a yearly to bi-yearly re-read for me! I watched the rebooted anime two years ago and it was SO good. I loved all the OPs and EDs too.

Tatami Galaxy (and its spiritual sequel movie Night Is Short, Walk On Girl) for sure. TG is a sort of semi-romantic slice of life with a little bit of a cynical tone, following a guy in college who is disillusioned with his life but wants to confess his feelings to his crush. It's directed by Masaki Yuasa (Devilman Crybaby, Eizouken, Inu-Oh, fav anime director ever lol) and really changed my life as an artist in a big way.

+1 +1 +1 +1 cKers have amazing taste in anime lol. Night is Short, Walk on Girl is one of my favourite movies ever, and I've been desperately looking for a full-sized poster since I saw it. I feel it's even better than The Tatami Galaxy! Another Masaki Yuasa anime I recommend is Ping Pong The Animation. It's not too long but every character has an incredible arc if you are okay with the art!

Peaches_and_Mocha
01-02-2024, 09:47 PM
Haha say no more! I almost only watch anime that aren't under the "popular shows" umbrella.

As far as romance goes I can recommend HaruChika (well, it has some romance) and Yagate Kimi ni Naru (this one is yuri - girls love).

But I have so many lesser known SoL anime I can recommend, like:
- Do It Yourself!!
- A Place Further Than The Universe
- Sound! Euphonium
- Time of Eve
- BanG Dream! It's MyGO!!!!!
- Tamako Market
- Hyouka

Let me know if you need any more lol

Thank you so much for the recommendations! I have quite the list to get through now haha

- - - Updated - - -

Also, it's a manga and not animated, but if you're interested at all in BL romance drama I really enjoyed the Canis series by ZAKK. Super beautiful art and a pretty unique style for manga!

I've been interested in reading manga lately. This seems like a good place to start!

You're also really selling Tatami Galaxy for me. I think I'll start with that one!

aymo
01-02-2024, 09:47 PM
I'm In Love With The Villainess

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

Peaches_and_Mocha
01-02-2024, 09:48 PM

I acutally did watch Fruits Baskets recently! I really liked it. I almost want to rewatch it!

lint
01-02-2024, 10:08 PM
Idk how obscure this is but the very first anime I ever watched was one my dad actually got into when he was in his teens in the 80s called Robotech: [Only registered and activated users can see links]

It's basically Top Gun and Independence Day with jet fighters that transform. It's SO GOOD. The first season hits on so many themes and gets you really hooked because it's not gimmmicky goofy imo and is pretty serious and you really get invested in each character's life and eagerly await the conclusion of the saga to see what happens to them. There's other "sagas" after this, but I haven't watched them and tend to stick to the very first season because it's the OG season.

Also, this was supposed to be adapted into a live action movie back in the 2010s I think with Tobey Maguire and Leonardo DiCaprio being producers or something because they were fans, but it got stuck somewhere in trying to get the rights. Tobey was supposed to play the main character iirc.

Peaches_and_Mocha
01-02-2024, 10:15 PM
Idk how obscure this is but the very first anime I ever watched was one my dad actually got into when he was in his teens in the 80s called Robotech: [Only registered and activated users can see links]

It's basically Top Gun and Independence Day with jet fighters that transform. It's SO GOOD. The first season hits on so many themes and gets you really hooked because it's not gimmmicky goofy imo and is pretty serious and you really get invested in each character's life and eagerly await the conclusion of the saga to see what happens to them. There's other "sagas" after this, but I haven't watched them and tend to stick to the very first season because it's the OG season.

Also, this was supposed to be adapted into a live action movie back in the 2010s I think with Tobey Maguire and Leonardo DiCaprio being producers or something because they were fans, but it got stuck somewhere in trying to get the rights. Tobey was supposed to play the main character iirc.

I just learned about Robotech today! It was a really significant anime in Japan! Thanks for reminding me. It's a shame it didn't become a movie. Although from some of the live action adaptations of anime I've seen, maybe its for the best lol

lint
01-02-2024, 10:45 PM
I just learned about Robotech today! It was a really significant anime in Japan! Thanks for reminding me. It's a shame it didn't become a movie. Although from some of the live action adaptations of anime I've seen, maybe its for the best lol

Yeah live adaptations are tricky, but I thought this would work since it had good "star power" backing the project. Also, the first season, as I mentioned, felt like a big movie plot already, so I think that would have worked. I guess that's why it really resonated with me as a kid because it reminded me of other movies I liked.
They also made comics in the US on this and a videogame was also released for the PS2. I used to argue with people at school who said Gundam was better or the OG giant robots in space anime lol.

Delibird
01-03-2024, 10:56 PM
Made in Abyss is kinda off-brand. Cute story but def isnt shonen by any means.

Shinx
01-03-2024, 11:46 PM
I have a couple for this!

The Daily Life of the Immortal King
I Got a Cheat Skill in Another World and Became Unrivaled in The Real World, Too
Campfire Cooking in Another World with My Absurd Skill
he Reincarnation Of The Strongest Exorcist In Another World

I hope you enjoy! Some of these are similar vibes to ancient magus bride, sword art online etc. Random as titles but definitely good

Peaches_and_Mocha
01-05-2024, 12:02 PM
I have a couple for this!

The Daily Life of the Immortal King
I Got a Cheat Skill in Another World and Became Unrivaled in The Real World, Too
Campfire Cooking in Another World with My Absurd Skill
he Reincarnation Of The Strongest Exorcist In Another World

I hope you enjoy! Some of these are similar vibes to ancient magus bride, sword art online etc. Random as titles but definitely good

ooooo this is perfect. I remember we talked yesterday about how good those shows are! And ikr whats up with the random names? What an awful trend lol

You know I was just thinking, have you seen Uncle from Another World? I think you'd find it really funny. It's about a guy who was trapped in another world but broke out the coma and lives with his nephew recounting his adventures. The twist (or hook I guess?) is that he was butt ugly LOL

70spurple
01-05-2024, 02:11 PM
Summer Time Rendering

Junellie
04-04-2024, 09:26 PM
Not sure if this counts as obscure, and it's not an *original* anime, but maybe Makai Senki Disgaea? It's an adaptation of Disgaea: Hour of Darkness.