PDA

View Full Version : [GUIDE] How to Change Your Avatar on clraik

Infected
10-17-2023, 08:48 AM
How to Change Your Avatar on clraik

Avatars a great way to create your identity on a forum. A lot of users recognise other users merely by their avatar, so much so that one doesn't even have to check the username as avatars become so identifiable! As such, you've probably seen other users showoff their fancy avatars, custom userbar gif sets made by the talented creators on this forum, or just have beautiful avatars matching the various different userbars they've collected around the forum. But you don't know how to set one up for yourself? Look no further. I've got the solution you need for the two ways you can use your own avatar on the forum and show off your personality and identity as well!

While this guide may seem to be very pedestrian for older and experienced members on here, every so often I'm asked "ok.. how do I set up my avatar?" on my custom userbar request thread, once I deliver the final product. And it's not just from the newer members who join us, but also from experienced members of the community, who have never had a custom avatar before, or have just returned from a long hiatus and forgotten the finer functions of this forum. So I thought of writing this guide to to create a resource to help all those members, whether new or old, to learn how to change their avatar!

Default Avatar

By default, if you have a new account or have just never had an avatar before, your avatar space will be blank. Your posts will only display your username, and your membership rank userbar and any other userbars you may have unlocked and set up.

Ok, So How Do I Set It Up Then?

This is simple, but only looks confusing due to the various menus on the forum for it's multiple features.

First; look at the top right corner of your screen, where it says "Welcome, Username" There, the third option says 'settings. That's where you want to head first.

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

There, you will arrive at a page that shows you any threads you may have subscribed to, any reputation you may have gained or given, but more importantly on the left-hand side, you will see a column with multiple headings with numerous options to choose from, for all the ways you can edit and customise your user profile on this forum.

The third heading, 'My Settings', will have a clickable option that says 'Edit Avatar'. This is where you want to go next.

Once, on this page, you will first want to check the box that says 'use custom avatar'.

Under that, you will now see two options for setting up your desired avatar. I will cover both of them.

Option 1: From an Image on Another Website

This is the option you want to use when the image you want to use as your avatar is already hosted on the internet. Whether, it's on another web page, or if you have uploaded it to imgur or any other image hosting site, the next step is very easy. Right-click on your chosen image, and click on 'Copy Image Address' [Note: The screenshot below is taken on Google Chrome on Mac, PC will have a similar option].

The URL of the image is now copied to your clipboard. Paste the link in the space next to Option 1 and click on 'Save Changes' on the bottom right-hand side of the page.

And voila! You now have your own avatar!

Option 2: Upload Image From Your Computer

This is the option for those of you who have the image of your choosing saved on your computer, but hasn't been hosted on the internet yet. The forum allows you to upload it directly to the forum servers and use it as an avatar! Simply click on the 'Choose File' button, and locate the file you want to use on your computer. Once that's done, again click on 'Save Changes' on the bottom right-hand side of the page and you have your own avatar, straight from your computer, hosted onto the forum and being used as your avatar!

Got it, So Which File Extensions Can I Use?

Good question! You can use .PNG, .JPEG (or .JPG), and .GIF file extensions as avatars. The main thing you need to make sure of apart from this, are the file size restrictions as I'll mention below.

Size Restrictions

Of course with all fun things, there has to be a check to make sure it is sustainable on the forum servers, and enables optimum performance. To ensure this, the forum has to have its rules and limitations to make sure you don't clog up the servers with heavy file uploads, or distort the pages with large oversized images. The forum has two main restrictions in place.

The image/file chosen my be of maximum dimensions of 350 x 350 pixels.
The file size must not exceed 512.0kb.

If you exceed either or both of these limits, you will see a message that says the remote file is too large to use as an avatar, so please ensure that you meet both these criteria.

Other Restrictions and Rules

In order to maintain decorum, the forum restricts a user from using certain imagery as their avatar. Avoid using any images or gifs that have nudity, vulgar imagery, gore, nsfw content, hate speech, political texts, any abusive or vulgar language. If found in breach of this the staff can remove your avatar, and slap you with infractions, or suspensions and bans. Please refer to the Official Forum Rules ([Only registered and activated users can see links]) for more details on this. Please be mindful of what you choose to use as your avatar. Keep it fun and spiffy. Try highlighting your personality, or matching your userbar stack, or anything you may choose to have fun with apart from the above!

Hope this guide has helped answer your questions, and helped you learn how to add/change your avatars on the forum! Please do ask any questions you may have, or any suggestions for the guide and I can add them in to help more people in the future!

Sithis
10-19-2023, 10:33 PM
Thank you! I was able to update my avatar thanks to your guide here.