PDA

View Full Version : [GUIDE] Mermaiding 101 - Fins, Facts, & Fun 🧜

Lilac Tentacles
07-08-2023, 12:59 AM
In my objectively unbiased opinion, there is not a better workout/hobby combination than popping on a monofin and jumping in some water. It's super low-impact, works out a boatload of muscle groups, increases lung capacity, and helps with whole-body coordination. I will break this into sections, as there is a lot of beginner information.

Sections:
i. Safety & Beginner Info
ii. Types of Monofins
iii. Types of Tails
iv. Tail Manufacturers
v. Lilac's hot takes, tips, and Certification information

I. SAFETY & BEGINNER INFO

First and foremost, NEVER EVER SWIM ALONE. If you take nothing else away from this barrage of information, tattoo this to your forehead. You should already not be swimming alone regardless of whether you're in a tail or not, but it's even more of a safety risk when you can't move your legs freely.

My advice would be to make sure you're an experienced swimmer without any mermaid equipment. Once you've got the basics of swimming under your belt, invest in a monofin. Practice with only the monofin for as long as it takes until it's second nature to you. Laps upon laps upon laps. Flip around, learn to maneuver in circles, horizontal, vertical, backwards, etc. Get as comfortable as you would be walking on land. Once you factor in a binding tailskin, you're at the mercy of your own skill at that point.

There are courses I'll go over in section 5 and if you happen to live near any places that offer it, I'd highly suggest you look into them.

Next, do not purchase a bigger monofin than you're comfortably capable of controlling. Some of these tails have insane amounts of drag and extra fabric. They can be as wide as a foot (30cm), up to 3-4 (122cm) feet in diameter. Adding in tailskins with yardage of extra fabric makes it even more cumbersome. Start small and work yourself up to a big tail.

RESEARCH your tail makers and monofin styles. There are so many knock-off shammers out there selling dangerous and cheap equipment. Monofins made of plastic that shatter while you're swimming. Tails made with trashy fabric that will shrink or inhibit your ability to move your legs properly to dolphin kick. Also copyright infringement on designs and patterns, which is just ick regardless of materials.

And lastly, DO NOT SWIM ALONE FOR THE LOVE OF TRITON AND AQUAMAN!!!

I will be talking about the 2 (and +1 extra piece for Finfolk) components of a tail below:
~ The monofin - The piece of equipment attached to your feet. Basically a flipper that combines your feet together and propels you when you kick.
~ The tailskin - Purely aesthetic. The tail fabric covers the monofin and goes up to your waist.
~ The vinyl insert (only in Finfolk and Finfun Elite brand tails) - a set of vinyl sheets that go into the fluke (bottom portion of tail holding the monofin) of the tail that helps their tails hold shape.

II. MONOFINS

Monofins come in 2 basic styles: Sport fins and silicone monofins.
Sport fins are numerous and varied. Different colors, different shapes, different strap types for your heels. Usually used by swimmers for laps in a pool. Most tail makers do not make their own monofins. They design their tails around available monofins on the market because the cost and materials required to make the silicone monofins is exorbitant.

Silicone Monofins are only made by one tailmaker: Mertailor. They are made specifically to fit into his line of tails.

III. TAILS
There are so many styles, colors, shapes, fabrics, and price points of tails. This will be an info dump with a few photos, but this is where your own research and personal taste come into play.

We will start with the biggest choice you'll have to make- FABRIC or SILICONE?

Silicone tails are big money, a lot of maintenance, very heavy, very annoying to fit, and I will be glossing over this option as 95% of most mermaid hobbyists will never own a silicone. I've had 2 and I do not recommend unless you're an avid swimmer with somewhere to wear it. It's like having a Lambo- fun and exciting in theory, expensive and annoying in practice.
There are a few makers who go the silicone route- Mertailor, Finfolk, Merbella, and Mernation are the big 4. Mernation & Merbella are exclusively silicone, while Mertailor and Finfolk just kind of dabble occasionally. The waitlist on both are usually lengthy. Merbella is at about 2 years, plus she picks and chooses her commissions meaning you might never get a response. I've never owned a Merbella so I can't speak to her quality or ordering process once she accepts your idea.
Mernation will take on pretty much every order. They are very quick, efficient, and their tails are very high quality. From initial email inquiry to delivery was approximately 7 weeks. *Fun fact- They did Shakira's mermaid tail for her recent music video*
For the sake of transparency, my silicone was $4300 which included all the fins, and a matching bra. Most silicone tails start at $1500 and can go as high as the stratosphere.
My first silicone tail: (Sold it)

Fabric tails are your best bet. They run the gamut from small and simple to crazy and boujie with all the fin options you could ever want- ankle, calf, dorsal, hip fins... You name it, there's an option for a fin there.

54647 Finfun is the perfect starter brand. Their tails are sold on Amazon (only buy direct from the Finfun store there, fakes are in abundance), and they have their own website (listed below). I use their cheaper tails for my photography business. They have sales throughout the year and promos all the time. They also have an ambassador program where their sponsored mermaids have a 10% code you can use. #notsponsored
These tails range from $30 (kids tails) to $40 (adult tails). They're super beginner friendly, very stretchy, and have a cheap, but safe, monofin insert that brings to total to less than $75.
They also have an "elite" option. It's a bigger, brighter, more patterned tail option, and I've heard great things about it. It has a special monofin specifically fitted for the elite tail. The Elite are $379-$400, not including monofin.

The biggest 2 fabric tail makers in the mermaid game are Mertailor & Finfolk Productions.
Their fabric tails are the creme de la creme of mermaid tails. Basically, pick a favorite and go nuts. Can't go wrong with either. It's basically down to your personal preference. I'll be adding my opinions in the final section of this guide to give you an idea of how I purchase mermaid tails.

54647 Mertailor sells their tails on made-to-order system. You go to their website, pick your desired monofin style, pick your favorite tail that will fit said monofin, and add to cart. They have matching bras, leggings, and swimsuits for your tail of choice in some options.
Mertailor recently began offering the option to order their tails for a cheaper price to deduct the fins for a sleeker tail body. You just email Candy and she'll send you an adjusted invoice. She's super sweet and very timely with her correspondence.
Their cheapest option is the Guppy at $99, which fits the Linden monofin (sport monofin) at $70, for a combined $170 starter set.
Their 2nd cheapest option, the Fantasea, is $100, plus the cost of the FF1 monofin (silicone) at $200 which fits that particular tailskin for a total of $300.
Beyond that, you're getting into the big boy league. The monofin is bigger, the fabric is better quality, and the cost for materials is higher. This line is known as the Whimsy Tail.

54647 Finfolk Productions sells their tails on a batch system and a TOTM (Tail of the Month) system. TOTM is a single tail design released on the 1st of any given month and discontinued past the last day. They do not limit how many can by bought and they ship after all orders have been received. Their batch sales are just that- They make giant batches of special edition colors and styles and release them in limited quantities. They sell out FAST. They have a paid membership program called the *Pod Squad* who get a 1 hour jump on the limited sales. Usually everything sells out within that hour. If you ever want one of the Finfolk tails in this release, it's best to pay the $35 fee and join the Facebook group for the password on release day.
Finfolk also sells tops, leggings, and matching tail stickers. Their silicone tops are very pricy, very beautiful, and sell out immediately upon release, just like the tails. I think their last top release was sold out in 6 minutes. Good luck if you ever want one.
They have 2 fabric tail options- The Discovery Tail and their regular fabric.
The Discovery tail uses the sport Linden monofin and has a simple, basic shape. Great for beginners. $215 for the tail, and $60 for the monofin.
Their regular tails are bigger, contain the vinyl inserts mentioned earlier, and can hold a couple of options of monofins. They have the preferred monofins listed under each tail's page as the choices can change based on the tail. These tails usually run $400-$750 depending on the fins you choose. There is currently no option to pick and choose which set of fins you want, the drop down menu will list their options.

IV. TAIL MAKERS

Here is the list of known and tested tail makers. Their quality and tails have stood the test of mermaid time and all are recommended. Some are better than others, but it's personal taste as to which one you choose.

Finfolk Productions : [Only registered and activated users can see links]
Mertailor : [Only registered and activated users can see links]
Mernation : [Only registered and activated users can see links]
Finfun : [Only registered and activated users can see links]
Merbella : [Only registered and activated users can see links]
Nereid Studios : [Only registered and activated users can see links]
Moonsong Magic : [Only registered and activated users can see links]

V. LILAC'S HOT TAKES AND EXTRA LINKS

My personal preferences are just that. Mine. I have tried numerous monofins, been in every type of tail under the sun, and in all types of water bodies and situations.
I will 100% recommend the Mertailor silicone monofins. I despise the sport fins. They cause blisters on my feet and the hard plastic in their construction hurt my feet. I will usually avoid Finfolk because of this. I can fit a Mertailor FF1 in most of their tails with the vinyl, but it's usually a hassle. Mertailor is an easier buying option, and they do offer custom color option through their approved artists. It's a huge markup, but if you want custom, they're your people.
I do love the Finfolk tails. They are gorgeous, their fabric is soft and fits nicely, but the monofin is a dealbreaker for me.

If you do decide the silicone route, I would highly suggest you only stick with the well-known makers. So many sketchy makers will use unsafe silicone, do shoddy work, and charge way too much for garbage quality. Mernation is my go-to for silicone. They're fast, the tails are amazing, and you're guaranteed a great customer service experience.

If you ever have any questions, my inbox is open. Even if I'm not around the site, I still get PM notifications to my email and I would love to answer any of your queries.

Here are my recommendations for swimming safely:
PADI Mermaid Certification - The Professional Association of Diving Instructors offers a mermaid- specific course.
[Only registered and activated users can see links]

They teach safety basics, swimming techniques, and problem-solving for underwater situations. This is your best course of action to make sure you're doing the hobby "right".

I would also suggest a water safety and/or lifeguarding course at your local pool or gym that covers CPR and rescue techniques. If you're properly swimming with a buddy (YOU BETTER BE AND DON'T LET ME FIND OUT YOU AREN'T!), it's good to have that in your back pocket for emergencies.

billytiddles
07-08-2023, 01:25 AM
I had no idea what I was going to be reading when I started, but it was very interesting - thank you for putting this together!

Just a suggestion - the yellow text headers are very hard to read on the normal/light theme, might want to try a different color.

Lilac Tentacles
07-08-2023, 01:29 AM
I had no idea what I was going to be reading when I started, but it was very interesting - thank you for putting this together!

Just a suggestion - the yellow text headers are very hard to read on the normal/light theme, might want to try a different color.

I literally forgot light theme was an option LOL! I've been in dark mode since like 2015. :glee:
Fixed!

And yes, it's definitely weird. haha.
More people should do it. Be weird with me.

ONE OF US! ONE OF US!

Bulbasaur
07-08-2023, 01:30 AM
Oh my word, I 10000% need to get my friend into Neopets and then bring her over here so she can see this! :o_o:
You are amazing!

Wonderful Guide! :korbie_blush:
There is so much that goes into this than I ever would have known.
I truly appreciate how passionate you are!

Lilac Tentacles
07-08-2023, 01:38 AM
Oh my word, I 10000% need to get my friend into Neopets and then bring her over here so she can see this! :o_o:
You are amazing!

Wonderful Guide! :korbie_blush:
There is so much that goes into this than I ever would have known.
I truly appreciate how passionate you are!

Let's skip the middle man. She doesn't even need to cheat at neopets. Just tell her we're cool people who play hide and seek with pixel popsicles. She'll show up.

Ice
07-08-2023, 01:43 AM
I also use the default light mode skin so I am glad you changed the font color! And the little dividers are adorable :$ thank you for sharing this write up! Super informative and loved all the breakdowns. :)

Infected
07-08-2023, 02:36 AM
Wow this is awesome! I'm going to show this to my wife lol, she's into this kind of stuff!

DarkSkies
07-08-2023, 10:11 AM
I saw the thread yesterday but I was falling asleep so I decided to check out today and I'm glad I did.

Lilac this is an incredible guide it really shows off your knowledge and love for the hobby :korbie_blush:

I like the pictures you put as an example, as I told you before this is all new for me. The mermaid tails (well all the set) it's expensive but the designs are so gorgeus! And having customization service? Wow that's another level!

I must say I'm very surprised by the fact that the batches sell really quick and some waiting periods are longer (it almost made me wish I was seller for these things lol)

Thanks for putting this together, very very complete and fun and interesting to read through.

Oh and I'm sorry but I'm a light theme reader too xD

Charizard
07-08-2023, 11:44 AM
This is truly amazing! My old friend is really into mermaiding so it's fun to learn more about it. Thank you for sharing :$

Lilac Tentacles
07-08-2023, 06:36 PM
I saw the thread yesterday but I was falling asleep so I decided to check out today and I'm glad I did.

Lilac this is an incredible guide it really shows off your knowledge and love for the hobby :korbie_blush:

I like the pictures you put as an example, as I told you before this is all new for me. The mermaid tails (well all the set) it's expensive but the designs are so gorgeus! And having customization service? Wow that's another level!

I must say I'm very surprised by the fact that the batches sell really quick and some waiting periods are longer (it almost made me wish I was seller for these things lol)

Thanks for putting this together, very very complete and fun and interesting to read through.

Oh and I'm sorry but I'm a light theme reader too xD

I have mine set to dark because I sit on my phone at night like a cave goblin 🤣

And re: the batches selling quickly
There is a collaboration between finfolk and merbella coming end of this month, and people are RABIDDDDD. Everyone is selling off their tails to make money for this thing. We're expecting record sellout time. I'm not a fan of the designs, but I am trying to sell a couple of tails for tickets for my Bali trip and I'm going to have to wait lol.
I need depressed mermaids who missed out on the sale with extra cash to buy my last silicone and fabric tails. It's like a mini economy of highs and lows, we have to wait on market trends for things to move. 😆
So hopefully this sale goes off swimmingly and I'll have a few buyers before August.

Evelynn
07-21-2023, 12:17 AM
God, what a fun and interesting read. I actually have a few questions about this that I hope you don't mind answering for me if that's okay!

1. Do you do this purely as a sport/workout or is there another element to this? (Like, are you one of those hired mermaids who performs at events and whatnot for children.)
2. Sort of relating to the above question, but do you dress yourself up as a mermaid for this? Like do you put on waterproof makeup, wear a complimentary top with it, etc?
3. Do you wear goggles during this? I've watched some videos of professional mermaids online who do not wear goggles since it kind of ruins the magic with it, and they've said they get eye irritation and stuff. If you don't wear goggles, is the eye irritation a problem for you? How do you combat it?
4. What's your favourite fin you've had manufactured?

I would love to look into doing this sort of thing one day once I build stamina up. I find the concept so whimsical and fun ;u; Thank you again for sharing.

Lilac Tentacles
07-21-2023, 06:49 PM
God, what a fun and interesting read. I actually have a few questions about this that I hope you don't mind answering for me if that's okay!

1. Do you do this purely as a sport/workout or is there another element to this? (Like, are you one of those hired mermaids who performs at events and whatnot for children.)
2. Sort of relating to the above question, but do you dress yourself up as a mermaid for this? Like do you put on waterproof makeup, wear a complimentary top with it, etc?
3. Do you wear goggles during this? I've watched some videos of professional mermaids online who do not wear goggles since it kind of ruins the magic with it, and they've said they get eye irritation and stuff. If you don't wear goggles, is the eye irritation a problem for you? How do you combat it?
4. What's your favourite fin you've had manufactured?

I would love to look into doing this sort of thing one day once I build stamina up. I find the concept so whimsical and fun ;u; Thank you again for sharing.

Good morning!
Sorry for the delayed response. I was actually out doing a mermaid shoot all day yesterday. Tee hee...

1. I do this for both reasons. I love swimming, my knees and hips are jacked from 14 years in the military, as well as tiny-child bearing, so running, squatting, basically anything that isn't zero gravity hurts my entire soul. I'm going to a chiropractor and sports therapist to help, but for now swimming is hella low-impact (so even if you aren't into mermaids 10/10 recommend swimming as a workout. Feels good.). I also do this as an event performer. I have done a couple of concerts as a character prop, I've done an Under The Sea wedding as their cocktail hour entertainment, and I've done a few parties for kiddos. I'm working on a few random events where I currently live to draw in children for Cub Scout signups at their recruitment booth this year. (yes, i realize how creepy that sounds. Lol)

2. I don't do pool parties often because of liability issues. My insurance is cheaper if I stay on land, and I can charge less. I also don't have a lot of events dealing near pools so it's usually a non-issue. If anyone ever is interested in doing this for fun, please don't ever swim in a pool with kids. They can sit on the side and watch, but it's insanely dangerous to be swimming in a tail fin with kids around. I've been in a pool doing laps in only my monofin and a swimsuit for practice and had children come into my lap lane and attempt to grab my silicone fin. I didn't even realize they were there. It's a 30lb slab of silicone, I could have seriously hurt them. Don't swim with kids in the area. It's a good rule and most event insurance providers will not cover accidental bitch-smacking with a tail.

3. I wear goggles for practice in the lap lane and if I'm just frolicking in a pool for fun. No one is paying me and I like not having burnt eyeballs for a few days. When I'm actively doing underwater gigs like photoshoots or a rare pool event, I'll keep them off. There are gel eyedrops that Bausch & Lomb make (I think it's them, I'd have to check), that coat your eye and make it easier to see, plus they protect from chlorine. There are also goggle makers who specialize in mermaid goggles. Yes, they make custom colors and add fun fins and stuff to them. They're actually really cool and if my LASIK ever wears off and I'm back in contacts, I'll be investing in a pair. Etsy has a few suppliers. They're legit cool.

4. My favorite tail I've ever had is my beat up Mertailor. My friend bought a junky silicone tail with a gross blue/gold paint job. It was covered in bad repairs, broken heel straps, chips, nicks, and tears. She repaired the broken bits, sealed the broken strap, repainted the whole thing in a gorgeous purple, and painted the bra to match. We added a bra base that fit me, added a decorative silicone octopus, and she's upstairs for sale right now. haha. She's a beautiful piece of vintage mermaid history, but I'm not allowed to swim here because of "the rules" no matter how hard I tantrum, so I want her to be swam in and with a good mer who can appreciate her. It hurts my heart, but it's time she moves on.

RE: MAKEUP
I don't like doing a full face of makeup. Most people will only see your scales and freak out alone at that. Eyeliner, eye shadow, foundation.... I don't bother. I have some great pigmented eyeshadow I use to draw on my eyebrows, dab on my scales with a stencil, and use setting spray to seal them on my face. I'll add gems with spirit gum, toss on some waterproof mascara, and call it a day. Foundation just cakes up like a bakery and looks terrible when you come out of the water, eyeliner and bad mascara will run, and eyeshadow usually creases up under water. Simple is better. Mermaids are natural creatures.

I have started enjoying not being in costume. I have built up a little gathering of mermaids here who enjoy being in tails and getting their photos taken. It's been more fun for me to watch people's dreams be met by getting to live out their childhood mermaid fantasies. Plus I don't have to pose on hard, spiky rocks, or my hair. lol
I'll be posting a couple more photos on my photography post later this week. It's been really awesome sharing my favorite activity with people. :)

DarkSkies
07-21-2023, 09:54 PM
Good morning!
Sorry for the delayed response. I was actually out doing a mermaid shoot all day yesterday. Tee hee...

1. I do this for both reasons. I love swimming, my knees and hips are jacked from 14 years in the military, as well as tiny-child bearing, so running, squatting, basically anything that isn't zero gravity hurts my entire soul. I'm going to a chiropractor and sports therapist to help, but for now swimming is hella low-impact (so even if you aren't into mermaids 10/10 recommend swimming as a workout. Feels good.). I also do this as an event performer. I have done a couple of concerts as a character prop, I've done an Under The Sea wedding as their cocktail hour entertainment, and I've done a few parties for kiddos. I'm working on a few random events where I currently live to draw in children for Cub Scout signups at their recruitment booth this year. (yes, i realize how creepy that sounds. Lol)

2. I don't do pool parties often because of liability issues. My insurance is cheaper if I stay on land, and I can charge less. I also don't have a lot of events dealing near pools so it's usually a non-issue. If anyone ever is interested in doing this for fun, please don't ever swim in a pool with kids. They can sit on the side and watch, but it's insanely dangerous to be swimming in a tail fin with kids around. I've been in a pool doing laps in only my monofin and a swimsuit for practice and had children come into my lap lane and attempt to grab my silicone fin. I didn't even realize they were there. It's a 30lb slab of silicone, I could have seriously hurt them. Don't swim with kids in the area. It's a good rule and most event insurance providers will not cover accidental bitch-smacking with a tail.

3. I wear goggles for practice in the lap lane and if I'm just frolicking in a pool for fun. No one is paying me and I like not having burnt eyeballs for a few days. When I'm actively doing underwater gigs like photoshoots or a rare pool event, I'll keep them off. There are gel eyedrops that Bausch & Lomb make (I think it's them, I'd have to check), that coat your eye and make it easier to see, plus they protect from chlorine. There are also goggle makers who specialize in mermaid goggles. Yes, they make custom colors and add fun fins and stuff to them. They're actually really cool and if my LASIK ever wears off and I'm back in contacts, I'll be investing in a pair. Etsy has a few suppliers. They're legit cool.

4. My favorite tail I've ever had is my beat up Mertailor. My friend bought a junky silicone tail with a gross blue/gold paint job. It was covered in bad repairs, broken heel straps, chips, nicks, and tears. She repaired the broken bits, sealed the broken strap, repainted the whole thing in a gorgeous purple, and painted the bra to match. We added a bra base that fit me, added a decorative silicone octopus, and she's upstairs for sale right now. haha. She's a beautiful piece of vintage mermaid history, but I'm not allowed to swim here because of "the rules" no matter how hard I tantrum, so I want her to be swam in and with a good mer who can appreciate her. It hurts my heart, but it's time she moves on.

I don't like doing a full face of makeup. Most people will only see your scales and freak out alone at that. Eyeliner, eye shadow, foundation.... I don't bother. I have some great pigmented eyeshadow I use to draw on my eyebrows, dab on my scales with a stencil, and use setting spray to seal them on my face. I'll add gems with spirit gum, toss on some waterproof mascara, and call it a day. Foundation just cakes up like a bakery and looks terrible when you come out of the water, eyeliner and bad mascara will run, and eyeshadow usually creases up under water. Simple is better. Mermaids are natural creatures.

I have started enjoying not being in costume. I have built up a little gathering of mermaids here who enjoy being in tails and getting their photos taken. It's been more fun for me to watch people's dreams be met by getting to live out their childhood mermaid fantasies. Plus I don't have to pose on hard, spiky rocks, or my hair. lol
I'll be posting a couple more photos on my photography post later this week. It's been really awesome sharing my favorite activity with people. :)

Under the sea wedding? Now that's sound pretty cool :o_o:

Wow I haven't thought about what Evelynn asked, always stuff to learn about. It's funny how when you say mermaid first thing comes to my mind it's being on water, but after all the explanation that doesn't seem always true.

Haven't thought about the kids safety. I mean I cannot imagine myself saying something like "when I was 10 years old I was tail slapped by a mermaid" lol

Evelynn
07-22-2023, 02:56 AM
Good morning!

Ahhh thank you thank you for taking the time to reply to all of my questions, I really appreciate it! This is a subculture I've known about for years but have never been able to really talk to anyone about, so this is like a treat for me.
It's really nice to hear that you are able to stay active because of it. Swimming is one of the best workouts for people of all shapes and sizes, I'm thankful I live in Australia which is one of the best countries in the world for teaching people (especially young kids) how to swim and how to swim safe.

I'd love to see pictures of your tails if you ever do end up posting them here. I've seen videos online of people who make the tails too, and it feels like such a fun job. It kind of intersects with what my dream job would be, which is one of those professional princesses. You know the kinds who dress up as disney princesses and go to kids parties? This is like that but on steroids (when you do the actual swimming and stuff.)

Are there any mermaid groups that do this for educational purposes or is it mostly for entertainment? Like, a group of mermaids who go to like schools or whatever maybe to teach kids about pool safety? I feel like that would be such a hit with schools and kids in general.

PabstBlueRibbon
08-25-2023, 01:40 PM
This was really cool and very informative. I had no idea what to expect walking into the thread, btw. But this was a super interesting topic!

(As someone with a knee issue that makes jogging pretty much impossible, getting confirmation on swimming for low-impact is great).

Not going to go mermaiding, as my clumsy ass will somehow trip and die in water that way, but this is really cool and I know a couple of people who wanted to do something different. I'll go point them at monofins.

Rinon
08-25-2023, 06:56 PM
I read about this thread and all I could think of were the mermaid cast members at Disneyland around that old submarine ride. (Eventually they took them out due to health hazards from the oil coming from the subs.)

This was such a cool read. Maybe I should pick this up as a hobby!!