PDA

View Full Version : Which generation had your favorite metagame?

Crooked
06-23-2023, 09:54 AM
Pokemon's metagame has gone through a lot of changes over the years with all the new mons, types, moves, and gimmicks that have come and gone. Which one is your favorite? And if you feel so inclined, why?

For me, I think that gen 6 might take the cake. The PSS was extremely convenient, the introduction of megas was exciting, and I felt like the vibes were generally good all-around. I also have a pretty big soft-spot for gen 4 and 5.

Alcremie
06-23-2023, 05:17 PM
I'm going to have to say 6 as well. Megas were my favorite gimmick. Terastalizing is a close second, but gen 6 has ORAS and gen 3 is my favorite gen. PSS was perfect. Kinda wish I was more active in general with pokemon then than I am now. I know it's most likely never going to happen but I still secretly wish for a new game to have megas again and expand on that. I need a mega Milotic lol

Crooked
06-23-2023, 05:23 PM
Dracarys I haven't played SV yet but terastalizing seems intriguing... though I hate the visuals of it, lol. I was really surprised that they discontinued megas. They have so much potential and they gave so many mons that had been previously irrelevant in the metagame some time to shine in competitive. They also seem so much more integral to the world lore than z-moves, or dynamaxing, but c'est la vie I guess. Gen 3 is also my favorite gen, Hoenn forever. 🎺

Harvest Goddess
06-23-2023, 05:26 PM
I would say probably Gen 2

I liked a lot of the pokemon, and crystal was the first game you could play as a girl. And the cart was so nice to look at.

Definitely my fav just for the pokemon and legendaries alone.

Mothman
06-23-2023, 05:39 PM
ohhh easy gen 6, it was one of the ONLY gens I played competitively because i loved megas and using unexpected teams. it was so fun, and the abilities some of them got were bonkers.

kalez
06-23-2023, 05:40 PM
I had the most fun in Gen IV personally, though I'm a little biased since that was when I played most.
Nowadays I'm just a casual run through the main story and call it quits guy lol.

Megas definitely impacted the way teams were built -- I thought it was interesting but felt like it introduced a layer to it that felt like it wasn't as unified, like instead of a team of 6 you were kinda building a team of 5 + 1 with a whole different set of picks and counterpicks.
Just my two cents though, I also didn't extensively play Gen VI so that's just what I think.

Crooked
06-23-2023, 05:50 PM
I had the most fun in Gen IV personally, though I'm a little biased since that was when I played most.
Nowadays I'm just a casual run through the main story and call it quits guy lol.

Megas definitely impacted the way teams were built -- I thought it was interesting but felt like it introduced a layer to it that felt like it wasn't as unified, like instead of a team of 6 you were kinda building a team of 5 + 1 with a whole different set of picks and counterpicks.
Just my two cents though, I also didn't extensively play Gen VI so that's just what I think.

Yeah I get what you mean by 5+1, it definitely felt that way sometimes, especially with some megas being broken af (Mega Kangaskhan for example). Gen IV's metagame was super fun. I used to spend all day battling people over Wi-fi in Battle Revolution.

goodnightmoon
06-23-2023, 06:26 PM
I think ruby/sapphire/emerald (Gen 3) take the cake as my favorites. I always remember LOVING the stories, replaying a million times. And the remakes had me living in nostalgia. I think that was the first game with secret bases? and I got deeeeeep into decorating mine.

Crooked
06-23-2023, 06:32 PM
goodnightmoonGen III is my favorite too! RSE and FRLG are definitely the ones I replay the most, and Colosseum has a special place in my heart. Its metagame was pretty inaccessible, especially for a kid, so I never got to play it in its heyday. I've played a couple of gen 3 styled battles on Showdown and it was really fun though! It's definitely interesting to work with mons pre special split.

goodnightmoon
06-23-2023, 06:58 PM
goodnightmoonGen III is my favorite too! RSE and FRLG are definitely the ones I replay the most, and Colosseum has a special place in my heart. Its metagame was pretty inaccessible, especially for a kid, so I never got to play it in its heyday. I've played a couple of gen 3 styled battles on Showdown and it was really fun though! It's definitely interesting to work with mons pre special split.

Ohhh COLLOSEUM how could I forget!? Was so hard for me as a kid but easily one of my favorites of all time!

Alcremie
06-23-2023, 07:08 PM
Damn, Colosseum had a BANGER of a soundtrack. We need a remake lol. I know that's a bit of a stretch but that game was so cool.

I do like the metagame of gen 9 esp cuz the tera gimmick adds the element of surprise kinda like mega evolutions. but man, the legendaries were added to quickly. I miss reg A and B, although B aggravated me a little bit and adding the ruins actually shook the meta up a bit. Still thinking if I want to jump into reg D when it starts or just chill out for a few months.....and reminisce about gen 6

goodnightmoon
06-23-2023, 07:15 PM
[Only registered and activated users can see links]

Miror B lives rent-free in my head from time to time.

Delibird
06-23-2023, 07:23 PM
I'd say Gen 2 - Gold/Silver/Crystal. Some of my favorite games and I'm so glad they got a remake in Heart Gold and Soul Silver. Rumor has it there will be a remake for it again for switch??

Alcremie
06-23-2023, 07:49 PM
I'd say Gen 2 - Gold/Silver/Crystal. Some of my favorite games and I'm so glad they got a remake in Heart Gold and Soul Silver. Rumor has it there will be a remake for it again for switch??

Pokemon legends Celebi or Lets Go Celebi? Something like that. I'd love to have either one but nothing confirmed yet, but there is a fanmade legends Celebi game, I believe. :D

Delibird
06-23-2023, 07:56 PM
Pokemon legends Celebi or Lets Go Celebi? Something like that. I'd love to have either one but nothing confirmed yet, but there is a fanmade legends Celebi game, I believe. :D

I'd settle for a Gen 2 Let's Go honestly. Would be really nice!

Synth Salazzle
06-23-2023, 07:59 PM
Gen 6 meta was where I reigned supreme.
I spent gen 4 and 5 dipping my toes into competitive and gen 6 was where I really shined best.
My partner and I would wipe the floor in team battles in facebook pokemon leagues.

Crooked
06-23-2023, 08:13 PM
Ohhh COLLOSEUM how could I forget!? Was so hard for me as a kid but easily one of my favorites of all time!

It definitely had some of the toughest NPC battles in the series' history.

Alcremie
06-23-2023, 08:30 PM
I know many didn't like the game but the BDSP battle tower almost made me cry. When I finally beat 100 wins I cracked open a cold one lol

Pidgey
06-23-2023, 08:31 PM
I love the simplicity and nostalgia of Gen 1.

I never got into moves and types. I just liked collecting them all.

I've played almost every one since then and though I still like them. They just don't hit the same.

I love busting out the Gameboy and playing the originals every now and then!!

Crooked
06-23-2023, 08:38 PM
Synthbass I feel that. Gen VI meta era was the only time I really engaged with anyone on Reddit, I had so many battles with so many people. I feel like there was this universal feeling of excitement about the metagame that I haven't seen in a while...

Delibird Gen II honestly holds up so well. I recently replayed both Gold and HG, and although I have to say I may prefer HG, the original has an appeal that modern games just can't match.

Pigeon Red was my first pokemon game and I still love it just as much as I did when I got it. It has its flaws, much it has so much character. Like you said— it just hits different. Last year I did a nuzlocke run of it and it was a lot more challenging than I expected it to be!

Delibird
06-23-2023, 08:49 PM
Synthbass I feel that. Gen VI meta era was the only time I really engaged with anyone on Reddit, I had so many battles with so many people. I feel like there was this universal feeling of excitement about the metagame that I haven't seen in a while...

Delibird Gen II honestly holds up so well. I recently replayed both Gold and HG, and although I have to say I may prefer HG, the original has an appeal that modern games just can't match.

Pigeon Red was my first pokemon game and I still love it just as much as I did when I got it. It has its flaws, much it has so much character. Like you said— it just hits different. Last year I did a nuzlocke run of it and it was a lot more challenging than I expected it to be!

It's nostalgia right next to Gen 1 so everybody knows whos in that. But yes, HG/SS made it even better. Now just gotta have that Switch feel now.

Infected
06-24-2023, 02:57 AM
It has to be mega evolutions by a mile. It's a shame they never came back after ORAS. Tera added a fun dynamic for counter offence, but nothing comes close to megas in my mind.

Crooked
06-24-2023, 08:26 AM
It has to be mega evolutions by a mile. It's a shame they never came back after ORAS. Tera added a fun dynamic for counter offence, but nothing comes close to megas in my mind.

I still hold onto hope that they could come back... although I know it's probably in vain.

Infected
06-24-2023, 08:37 AM
I still hold onto hope that they could come back... although I know it's probably in vain.

Yeah it's highly unlikely, unless there's a remake which there very well could be. I just never got why they didn't keep megas and build on it rather than just have random meta's that aren't even great. Not every pokemon has a mega, not even close. So it could definitely be worked on.

Crooked
06-25-2023, 08:30 AM
Yeah it's highly unlikely, unless there's a remake which there very well could be. I just never got why they didn't keep megas and build on it rather than just have random meta's that aren't even great. Not every pokemon has a mega, not even close. So it could definitely be worked on.

Yeah I completely agree, megas have so much more potential and longevity in the franchise than... big pokemon, lol.

misskrys
07-27-2023, 03:13 PM
Definitely gen 3, I've replayed sapphire and emerald ooover and over and just love them so much to this day. They don't have exciting gimmicks like megas or dynamax or whatever but they're fun, have some really great pokemon designs, really solid plot/story, plus enough fun after-story content too like battle tower, trying to find mirage island, etc

Infected
07-28-2023, 04:27 AM
I just got my Shiny Rayquaza over through Pokemon Home, and I miss the megas so bad!

John Cena
07-28-2023, 08:04 AM
I really enjoyed the mega evolutions, although I thought it was kinda gimmick-y the first time it was introduced.
Possibly an unpopular opinion, but I actually really liked dynamax

Dynamax Wooloo > everything
(For cuteness)

Manion
07-28-2023, 08:16 AM
Gigantamax was fun. I actually really liked the Z moves as well but seems like I’m almost the only one!

oddish
02-11-2024, 11:47 AM
I'm going to say Gen 2 because of the nostalgia
It was the first pokemon game I played as a kid
I love the starters in it
It just all around is best to me

lint
02-11-2024, 12:06 PM
Gen 2 is my all time favorite. I liked that it was like a sequel where I could still kick it in Kanto and people like Lance showing up again. I loved the music and the gen starters for this game the best. It was a good blend of the first game with just enough of the new stuff. The later games felt like they just really went OUT there lol. I played them all and like em all enough sure, but I feel like they started kind of going against the world they established in the first 2. Hard to keep track of imo and the designs started going all over the place too. I, for example, don't understand (or like) how they designed Rhyperior after Rhydon.

oddish
02-11-2024, 12:58 PM

Saw this while scrolling Facebook lol
Made me think of this thread

Excalibur
02-11-2024, 01:07 PM

Saw this while scrolling Facebook lol
Made me think of this thread

Gen 3 and gen 4:

chefs kiss *