PDA

View Full Version : One Piece, Live Action Movie

Lyrichord
06-18-2023, 05:49 PM
It looks like One Piece is going to be released as a live action series, premiering on Netflix at the end of August.

What are everyone's thoughts? I'm not normally big on live action adaptations nor am I super invested in One Piece, but I'm curious what everyone here thinks!

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

Sorry about the title of the thread - it should read series!

I_royalty_I
06-18-2023, 07:01 PM
I’m not usually too big on live actions either and I’m definitely not invested in One Piece either.. but it looks pretty entertaining. I wouldn’t be too hyped to see it in theaters, but it’s definitely something I’d stream if it came out on a streaming platform. It looks entertaining for sure!

Edit: I was typing as I was watching and saw the Netflix at the end!

Synth Salazzle
06-18-2023, 07:34 PM
I may watch to get a TLDW on one piece cus honestly I aint watched it since the 4kids dub and I'm not about to start now

but I don't typically enjoy anime movies.

Lyrichord
06-18-2023, 07:40 PM
It’s definitely giving me the streaming vibe too. All I remember from the little I watched is the name Luffy and that Zoro has 4 swords. I’d enjoy seeing what the anime is actually about. :$

It seems like a lot of slightly older anime’s are making a comeback these days, or is it just me not being aware of them?

lint
06-18-2023, 07:43 PM
I watched like the first season of One Piece and since the story is sooooo long and complex, I think this live action adaptation will be ok. You can't possibly hit all of the major plot points from the series so I think going in with low expectations and thinking more of it's basic general overview of the series will make it ok. Doesn't look too bad imo and I like how they're portraying Zoro at least in the trailer 🤷*♀️

Pidgey
06-18-2023, 08:15 PM
The trailer actually looks pretty good!

Having only watched a few episodes (I think all of season 1) I don't have a great grasp of everything in the show!
But when I read the topic discussion I was thinking... is this gonna ruin the show for me? But I'm actually surprised!

Definitely going to keep my eyes out for this! It looks good!

Excalibur
06-18-2023, 09:03 PM
It looks like One Piece is going to be released as a live action movie, premiering on Netflix at the end of August.

What are everyone's thoughts? I'm not normally big on live action films nor am I super invested in One Piece, but I'm curious what everyone here thinks!

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

mane... im gonna be honest as much as i love certain live action: personally thought ghost in the shell was gucci... *cowboy bebop* was not. i may give this a try since i liked the first couple seasons of one piece but i do not have my hopes high for this. netflix likes to F things up.

xmilo
06-18-2023, 09:07 PM
as a big one piece fan, i cant say i am particularly excited about this live-series. first of all, it's not in japanese!! cant trust it if it's not in jap! and secondly, the manga/anime series has done way too good for it to be converted into a live-series. feels like it's just gonna be a cash-grab kind of series. there's not much point converting it into a live-series in all honesty.

but when it's out, i'll give it a chance and watch it!

KJiU
06-18-2023, 09:11 PM
No offense but usually the western take on anime live action kinda ruin it entirely like the dragonball live action. Unless its a japanese live action i doubt i will be watching it haha ( thou not all japan live action are nice). Ronin Kenshin live action is a really good one thou xD

xmilo
06-19-2023, 01:09 AM
No offense but usually the western take on anime live action kinda ruin it entirely like the dragonball live action. Unless its a japanese live action i doubt i will be watching it haha ( thou not all japan live action are nice). Ronin Kenshin live action is a really good one thou xD

GTO was great as well!! Death note was pretty good too. And they're all Japanese productions. lol

TsUNaMy WaVe
06-19-2023, 01:11 AM
It's actually going to be a series, not a movie

Anyway, the trailer looks really nice! I'm gonna give the final judgement when it'll be out, but it could have been much worse. I'm impressed.

KJiU
06-19-2023, 03:09 AM
GTO was great as well!! Death note was pretty good too. And they're all Japanese productions. lol

Ah i totally forgot GTO existed xD thx for the reminder and yes L FTW !

Lyrichord
06-19-2023, 03:20 AM
It's actually going to be a series, not a movie

Anyway, the trailer looks really nice! I'm gonna give the final judgement when it'll be out, but it could have been much worse. I'm impressed.

Oooooh that makes so much more sense. Thank you for the heads up! I was trying to figure out which it was, just based off the Youtube video, which was not particularly illuminating on the subject. I clearly guessed wrong. 😅 I was wondering how they were going to merge an extensive anime world into one movie!

I edited the title/first post with the adjustment.
xmilo I'm with you on being dubious when it's not in Japanese! I'm sure there are some good dubs out there somewhere, but I'd rather listen to it as it was filmed! I would hope that Netflix will create a dubbed version for it's audience in Japan.

phantasia
06-19-2023, 03:26 AM
It looks pretty cool to me. I would watch it just for a break from real life

I am not into Anime at all. SO I would probably prefer this over the Anime.

Cinderella
06-19-2023, 04:31 AM
Ok, going off that preview vid I think I'm going to pass on watching it unless I hear good reviews. It looks overbaked.. like they are trying too hard to make it funny.

TsUNaMy WaVe
06-19-2023, 06:07 AM
Oooooh that makes so much more sense. Thank you for the heads up! I was trying to figure out which it was, just based off the Youtube video, which was not particularly illuminating on the subject. I clearly guessed wrong. 😅 I was wondering how they were going to merge an extensive anime world into one movie!

I edited the title/first post with the adjustment.
xmilo I'm with you on being dubious when it's not in Japanese! I'm sure there are some good dubs out there somewhere, but I'd rather listen to it as it was filmed! I would hope that Netflix will create a dubbed version for it's audience in Japan.

Yeah!
From what I know, it is going to be 8 episodes, 1 hour long each, and cover the first saga only (East Blue). It sounds too little for an entire saga imo, so I'm a little bit worried about the pacing, but I'm definitely giving it a chance :)
I guess maybe if it'll do exceptionally well, there will also be more seasons 🤔

John Cena
06-19-2023, 07:13 AM
My partner is a huge One Piece fan so they are pretty excited, and honestly it looks fairly interesting!
I couldn't get into the anime myself though. When they are watching it, I'll sometimes look over and it's an entirely new plot lol

Hopefully netflix has the budget for all 1000+ episodes :S

Slowpoke
06-19-2023, 02:33 PM
Ooooh, I just saw an online ad for this and can honestly say it doesn't look /as bad/ off first looks as some of the other Netflix adaptions they have done with anime. I think I will wait this one out and attempt to watch some of it after the full season gets released (I think Netflix drops all episodes or like half of them all at once, right?). Live action adaptions aren't usually my thing but the casting is sort of nice in it's own way? We will see!

Kibba
06-19-2023, 03:15 PM
Since Oda approved this project and he is part of it, I have high hopes the show has potential!

The trailer didn't give me the EXTRA SUPER hype but gave me a lot of excitement. Specially for Zoro and Luffy, loving the direction this project is going :D

Let's give it time and see how it cooks when it airs

Alcremie
06-19-2023, 03:39 PM
I'm actually really excited for this! I love One Piece so I am curious how this will go. The only thing I don't like about it is Netflix as they flushed their rep down the toilet a couple times recently. It looks good, but I'm definitely uhhh.... watching it a different way than streaming it on Netflix. IT IS a show about pirates after all. :)