PDA

View Full Version : Sailor Moon Cosmos Movie

DarkSkies
06-10-2023, 10:05 AM
This is the thread no one asked but I'm sorry I HAD TO DO IT! :o_o:

I still gotta see the movie this weekend but I came across this video and I'm very excited about the new arc. This was one my first animes from childhood and I remember enjoying it so much :korbie_blush:

First part should be available on Netflix and second would be released on 30th.

Is anonyone else looking forward to this? Do you prefer the 90's version or the manga? :D

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

Alcremie
06-10-2023, 10:33 AM
It's good to see the stars getting a season, finally. When Crystal was first released I was really excited about it but they messed it up so bad. I def prefer the 90's anime but as I grew older I kind of lost interest because of the storylines. I will watch this last season(movies) when it comes out because I've been waiting for a while. I have hope that it'll be a good final sendoff for the sailor moon remakes.

DarkSkies
06-10-2023, 10:45 AM
It's good to see the stars getting a season, finally. When Crystal was first released I was really excited about it but they messed it up so bad. I def prefer the 90's anime but as I grew older I kind of lost interest because of the storylines. I will watch this last season(movies) when it comes out because I've been waiting for a while. I have hope that it'll be a good final sendoff for the sailor moon remakes.

Yes the first season wasn't the best though they kind of improve little by little. love 90's because nostalgia and I had to rewatch last seasons because I didn't remember seeing all as a kid (especially because I also was trapped in the loop when next episode was first again lol).

I like Crystal too because is more aligned to the manga and there was some stuff I didn't know :O

Alcremie
06-10-2023, 10:52 AM
Yes the first season wasn't the best though they kind of improve little by little. love 90's because nostalgia and I had to rewatch last seasons because I didn't remember seeing all as a kid (especially because I also was trapped in the loop when next episode was first again lol).

I like Crystal too because is more aligned to the manga and there was some stuff I didn't know :O

I definitely liked that Crystal was closer to the manga. I'll always love the 90's anime but it was butchered so bad in some areas that Crystal did fix, so I have to give it some credit where it is due. Censoring non-hetero relationships and completely cutting out ever releasing Stars here in the states really upset me. As a kid I couldn't understand why I couldn't finish the story. The Stars outfits were my favorites too. So I'm glad this was fixed with the newer anime.

Hall
06-10-2023, 11:04 AM
I've been waiting for this arc for ages! I'm super stoked for it. My old manga is all tattered from the re-reading but now we get it in action and color!

Ice
06-10-2023, 12:58 PM
Oh yes I remember seeing posts about this in the works, super exciting that it's being released! Sailor Moon was (and is) such a huge part of my childhood and love for anime/manga although the 90s version obviously is my bread and butter. Overall I'm very happy that Crystal is a thing but unfortunately I feel like the animation/art did not do Takeuchi's style justice (in addition to the controversy with just the BAD quality animation when it first launched). As goofy as it is the 90s one still feels much more solid but hey that could just be my nostalgia glasses talking. Either way SM is such an important and iconic franchise so it definitely deserves its longevity! Just wish the animation and art was a bit more refined. :'c

Cat Purrson
06-10-2023, 01:48 PM
Thank you for reminding me that I need to rewatch this series!!! It's been a while since I've seen it.

DarkSkies
06-10-2023, 02:03 PM
I've been waiting for this arc for ages! I'm super stoked for it. My old manga is all tattered from the re-reading but now we get it in action and color!

Since Eternal I have been also waiting for this :o_o: I didn't read the manga but I heard there was a part when the senshis turn bad so I'm curious how the movie will handle that!

Oh yes I remember seeing posts about this in the works, super exciting that it's being released! Sailor Moon was (and is) such a huge part of my childhood and love for anime/manga although the 90s version obviously is my bread and butter. Overall I'm very happy that Crystal is a thing but unfortunately I feel like the animation/art did not do Takeuchi's style justice (in addition to the controversy with just the BAD quality animation when it first launched). As goofy as it is the 90s one still feels much more solid but hey that could just be my nostalgia glasses talking. Either way SM is such an important and iconic franchise so it definitely deserves its longevity! Just wish the animation and art was a bit more refined. :'c

Yes that's always has been the downside of Crystal, at least they're animating all arcs generally speaking. I'm happy to have this release mostly because as many Sailor moon was a must when you were a kid so having something to rekindle the flame it's welcome :P

Let's hope the movie can do better than the crystal previous arcs!

Thank you for reminding me that I need to rewatch this series!!! It's been a while since I've seen it.

You have lots of time yet, my dumb self thought it was already released on Netflix but June 9th and 30th are the release dates in Japan. So it's going to take probably a while before subbing and coming to other countries (hopefully not very long too!)

Hall
06-10-2023, 02:16 PM
Since Eternal I have been also waiting for this :o_o: I didn't read the manga but I heard there was a part when the senshis turn bad so I'm curious how the movie will handle that!

Yes that's always has been the downside of Crystal, at least they're animating all arcs generally speaking. I'm happy to have this release mostly because as many Sailor moon was a must when you were a kid so having something to rekindle the flame it's welcome :P

Let's hope the movie can do better than the crystal previous arcs!

You have lots of time yet, my dumb self thought it was already released on Netflix but June 9th and 30th are the release dates in Japan. So it's going to take probably a while before subbing and coming to other countries (hopefully not very long too!)

Have you never read the manga before?! OoO Oh you're in for a time then! :3

Ice
06-10-2023, 03:45 PM
For sure for sure! It’s been sooo long since I last watched any SM, iirc I put an effort to do a full series rewatch (of the 90s version) back during my final year of uni but unfortunately I don’t think I got too far. Maybe I should just do it but with Crystal this time. :3 I’ve always wanted to do a full manga reread too but I think the last time I tried it was just difficult to find complete scans haha?

Hall
06-10-2023, 04:18 PM
For sure for sure! It’s been sooo long since I last watched any SM, iirc I put an effort to do a full series rewatch (of the 90s version) back during my final year of uni but unfortunately I don’t think I got too far. Maybe I should just do it but with Crystal this time. :3 I’ve always wanted to do a full manga reread too but I think the last time I tried it was just difficult to find complete scans haha?

*cough* ([Only registered and activated users can see links]) Just need to make sure you're on the language you need. :3

chii3d
06-10-2023, 05:22 PM
I did watch a good portion of Crystal as I love the manga of this series and, like many others, it was my first anime.

The animation on it was really odd, though. You could tell it wasn't hand drawn or something. Almost like AI generated with the eyes and such just going... wonky. Have they fixed this issue?

Lyrichord
06-10-2023, 05:40 PM
Thank you for the thread DarkSkies! I haven't seen anything Sailor Moon related since the early 2000's so I'll definitely be checking this out on Netflix!

Alcremie
06-10-2023, 05:42 PM
I did watch a good portion of Crystal as I love the manga of this series and, like many others, it was my first anime.

The animation on it was really odd, though. You could tell it wasn't hand drawn or something. Almost like AI generated with the eyes and such just going... wonky. Have they fixed this issue?

Thankfully yes, they fixed that issue. It was bad. It turned me off of it for a while. Thankfully they took a lot more time with it and the animation got better.

Ariealle
06-10-2023, 06:34 PM
UMM HELLO I JUST THOUGHT ABOUT THAT SOMETIME THIS WEEK LIKE DID I MISS A MOVIE OR A NEW SEASON OR SOMETHING?

THANK YOU!!
/caps

omggg seriously thank you. this is just what I needed right now. perfect timing. no joke, I was just thinking about this. I was going to look too like, did I really miss an update for it? no. I didn't. it wasn't ready. i wanna cry rn lol. immersed myself into crystal when it came out. though, when do we ever really like re-made classics' art, this was a little bit of a let down with crystal. everything looks so, hm. I can't descibe really. it's nice though.

idk why I love sailor moon so much, other than the obvious childhood nostalgia. everything just settled so deeply in me. fight for love, fight for what's right. oppose negativity.. it's what got me into the stars and the sky. what expanded my knowledge of the green earth into space. all the possibilities of what could be out there, that we don't know about..
idkidk. sorry lol. I'm straight gushing right now.

definitely looking forward to it. it's also hard to compare the anime to the manga. they're both extremely beautiful in their own ways. absolutely love both the subbed and dubbed versions of the anime. you get to see them in action, instead of just making the action yourself. however, the manga, soooo deep. and you get a lot more out of it. they're both lovely. :)

I'm ready!! thinking about getting everything off my drive and some drinks and just binge from the beginning again.

reading through the rest of the thread, and chii3d mentioning it looked like AI, I get that. soul-less, almost? like, lmfao. how to describe a cartoon, flat image.. I'm not sure, but I think I kinda get what you mean.

yah. hi. :)

DarkSkies
06-10-2023, 07:50 PM
Thank you for the thread DarkSkies! I haven't seen anything Sailor Moon related since the early 2000's so I'll definitely be checking this out on Netflix!

For sure, good thing is easy to find on Netflix! Beggining is not so good as others have mentioned but I guess the nostalgia always convinced me at the end :P

It's also a good way to learn about the manga if you haven't read it too
Ariealle I know I've been checking the dates on and off xD Same happened with me, I loved the old anime and even got an álbum to collect stamps (RIP that album lol) so I can't help feeling so excited when I get any news about it ❤️ Remember what I saw as a kid and now seeing it again from another perspective aww I gotta be patient <)

Juna
06-10-2023, 07:56 PM
Omg I'm so happy for this. I've been waiting so so so long.
I might be the minority but I prefer Crystal over the 90's anime, just cause its true to the manga. Also I can rewatch crystal an endless amount of times in a short amount of time vs the 90s where its so long.
Sailor Moon is such a huge part of my life, I have a bunch of tattoos, and a whole wall dedicated to it. My first daughters name will be Serenity. :surprise:
Only thing I dislike is I wish the past 3 movies had been seasons and not taken so long in between ><

Ariealle
06-10-2023, 08:11 PM
DarkSkies you had a stamp album?! I didn't even know that was a thing omg. how fricken cool! sorry though that it's RIP. :( did you have a lot??
and yes for sure, patience is key.

Flordibel
06-10-2023, 09:05 PM
I'm excited for this! I'm definitely a 90s version fan myself but I like any and all new stuff 😍

DarkSkies
06-10-2023, 09:22 PM
Juna I know! I wish it was a season instead of a movie, maybe it was a budget thing? Obviously there's stuff they will not cover in short time but crossing my fingers for a good movie! (So sad that means less time on screen for Sailor Stars T_T)

Lyrichord yes! I completed the album of first arc and I remember being frustrated (kid problems lol) about not being able to complete my second album about the Tree of Life. And for some reason kid and adult me always preferred Artemis over Luna xD

Flordibel I'm down for new things especially if we get to see the manga point of view <)

Cinnamoroll
06-10-2023, 09:42 PM

Seconding this, I need to finish re-watching this series as well! Sailor Moon was always my favourite growing up. I liked Crystal but never finished it. I need to get on that.

Slowpoke
06-10-2023, 10:02 PM
I'm excited for this! I'm definitely a 90s version fan myself but I like any and all new stuff 😍

This is exactly me! I was such a fan of Sailor Moon back in the day! Something about those cute "filler" type of episodes really added another element of memorability. I fell in love with all of the characters in a way that's a little different than Crystal (which seems a lot more plot heavy, following the manga more closely and such). I will enjoy everything no matter what though!! :$ Super excited for the movie!

KJiU
06-10-2023, 11:04 PM
For me i didn't really watch sailor moon but i do love the classic opening theme for it and it is always nice to have an rework for older animes xD
(The "can't be unseen" sailor manmoon cosplay had overthrown the anime placement in my memories :o_o:)

DarkSkies
06-10-2023, 11:55 PM
For me i didn't really watch sailor moon but i do love the classic opening theme for it and it is always nice to have an rework for older animes xD
(The "can't be unseen" sailor manmoon cosplay had overthrown the anime placement in my memories :o_o:)

Sailor Stars? They're actually women. TLDR they ran away from an enemy and arrived to Earth but in the process lost her princess. So they decide to dress as men and act as famous singers so it will be easier to find their princess because they will be more popular like that.

Lyrichord
06-11-2023, 12:00 AM
What's the difference between Sailor Moon and Sailor Crystal? It sounds like Crystal is a spinoff that came later?

I'm tentatively watching this tomorrow, but would also like to ask if there's anything I should refresh on first, or if I can dive straight in with no context.

KJiU
06-11-2023, 12:20 AM
Sailor Stars? They're actually women. TLDR they ran away from an enemy and arrived to Earth but in the process lost her princess. So they decide to dress as men and act as famous singers so it will be easier to find their princess because they will be more popular like that.

I just realized there is something called Sailor Stars ahaha, no its just those fat man cosplay as sailor moon in anime convention.

Oh btw your post inspired me to make a thread for Card Captor Sakura but im kinda lazy these days haha. Clamp announced that there will be a Cardcaptor sakura: clear card anime sequel at the end of this year. :o_o:

Juna
06-11-2023, 12:39 AM
What's the difference between Sailor Moon and Sailor Crystal? It sounds like Crystal is a spinoff that came later?

I'm tentatively watching this tomorrow, but would also like to ask if there's anything I should refresh on first, or if I can dive straight in with no context.

You can dive in with no context!! The original was made in the 90's and is about 200 episodes long with a few movies and lots of filler. The crystal is a remake of the same story basically except theres no filler and it follows the manga basically. None of the side characters stories are fleshed out in crystal though and its about 39 episodes followed by some movies that continue the story!

DarkSkies
06-11-2023, 12:45 AM

Sailor Moon from 90's version was longer with extra fillers and while it took many things from the manga, it also changed another bunch of stuff. But since it was the only animated version a that time it was one of the most popular anime for many people. Crystal is a remake of the whole story that it goes aligned to the manga with no fillers.

So yes you can go directly to Crystal don't worry :) First season is odd at animation but the next parts got better.

I just realized there is something called Sailor Stars ahaha, no its just those fat man cosplay as sailor moon in anime convention.

Oh btw your post inspired me to make a thread for Card Captor Sakura but im kinda lazy these days haha. Clamp announced that there will be a Cardcaptor sakura: clear card anime sequel at the end of this year. :o_o:

Ohh I saw some chapters of Clear card but didn't finish that one! I had no idea there was going to be a second part :O

Which also reminds me I haven't watched/read Tsubasa Chronicles T_T

KJiU
06-11-2023, 12:53 AM
Sailor Moon from 90's version was longer with extra fillers and while it took many things from the manga, it also changed another bunch of stuff. But since it was the only animated version a that time it was one of the most popular anime for many people. Crystal is a remake of the whole story that it goes aligned to the manga with no fillers.

So yes you can go directly to Crystal don't worry :) First season is odd at animation but the next parts got better.

Ohh I saw some chapters of Clear card but didn't finish that one! I had no idea there was going to be a second part :O

Which also reminds me I haven't watched/read Tsubasa Chronicles T_T

Haha you can look forward to it i guess maybe it might be at the end of 2023 :P , Oh Tusbasa Chronicles is nostalgic , i didn't finish the anime but i love the opening - Blaze somehow back then my email and usernames are all o0tsubasa0o LOL , it was o0tsubasa0o before i bought Vip to changed it to KJiU xD
Off to listen to the opening

Lyrichord
06-11-2023, 01:46 AM
Thank you Juna and DarkSkies! I'm glad to hear that! I also realized that the movie in theaters at the moment, not streaming yet. Whoops!! I'll watch what's currently on Netflix first, then hopefully 6 months from now I'll be able to see what the movie is all about. I forgot how cute and bubbly these types of shows are! I'm looking forward to enjoying these soon. I'd been wondering what to watch next. :$

Ice
06-11-2023, 02:02 AM
Not to derail but as a quick side note DarkSkies TSR gets............................real weird. I don't think a lot of people liked the ending at all just because it was SO fucking strange. :( Maybe if that's your thing then you might like it but I feel like among my friends the general sentiment was the ending made it not worth it unfortunately 😅

Juna
06-11-2023, 02:13 AM
Juna I know! I wish it was a season instead of a movie, maybe it was a budget thing? Obviously there's stuff they will not cover in short time but crossing my fingers for a good movie! (So sad that means less time on screen for Sailor Stars T_T)

It would be surprising if it was a budget thing. SM is so popular globally, I feel like the franchise still makes billions every year. That being said, I wonder why they don't try to cash in and make more content, like some of the older animes have done with spin off series, etc!! I love Neo Queen Serenity's aesthetic and would looove to see small lady all grown up.

Thank you Juna and DarkSkies! I'm glad to hear that! I also realized that the movie in theaters at the moment, not streaming yet. Whoops!! I'll watch what's currently on Netflix first, then hopefully 6 months from now I'll be able to see what the movie is all about. I forgot how cute and bubbly these types of shows are! I'm looking forward to enjoying these soon. I'd been wondering what to watch next. :$

I really hope you enjoy it and love it a ton!!

DarkSkies
06-11-2023, 02:43 AM
Not to derail but as a quick side note DarkSkies TSR gets............................real weird. I don't think a lot of people liked the ending at all just because it was SO fucking strange. :( Maybe if that's your thing then you might like it but I feel like among my friends the general sentiment was the ending made it not worth it unfortunately 😅

Oh wow I had no idea. I knew about TSR because of Card Captor Sakura but hey I may as well give it a shot because I liked both Sakura and Syaoran characters and the curiosity got me there. But thanks for the warning! :D

It would be surprising if it was a budget thing. SM is so popular globally, I feel like the franchise still makes billions every year. That being said, I wonder why they don't try to cash in and make more content, like some of the older animes have done with spin off series, etc!! I love Neo Queen Serenity's aesthetic and would looove to see small lady all grown up.

Good point there SM is a good cash source, then I'm not sure why they choose going with movies. Iirc there is an alternate short story talking about chibusa's sister Kousagi Tsukino (Parallel Sailor Moon made by Naoko).

I haven't read it yet though.

Zenitsu
06-14-2023, 09:16 AM
I've always loved the Sailor Moon OST, so I'm definitely looking forward to this one! ✨

DarkSkies
06-20-2023, 11:50 PM
Alright everyone here comes the nostalgia train! Apparently we have the opening of the first movie part 💜

I'm very thrilled by hearing this song that takes me back to childhood :sorrow:

Ice
06-20-2023, 11:53 PM
Ahhh same the nostlagia 🥺 I remember playing the VHS tapes I had as a child and begging my mom to write down what she thought the lyrics were because I thought she knew some Japanese (she didn't) 😅 also I have always had a fond spot for their eternal outfits :3 the animation is actually a lot cleaner than I expected too, only a little wonkiness in one of the very last scenes of Usagi's profile. I'm hype!!! :o_o:

DarkSkies
06-21-2023, 12:15 AM
Ahhh same the nostlagia 🥺 I remember playing the VHS tapes I had as a child and begging my mom to write down what she thought the lyrics were because I thought she knew some Japanese (she didn't) 😅 also I have always had a fond spot for their eternal outfits :3 the animation is actually a lot cleaner than I expected too, only a little wonkiness in one of the very last scenes of Usagi's profile. I'm hype!!! :o_o:

Well I also believed you could translate this kind of things remember? lol

Yeah I know they slipped some parts but the song just got me :o_o: Last movie part should be released in 10 days and if I get to know the subbing date I'll come back to share too <3

We get to see Diana :o_o:

Lyrichord
06-21-2023, 12:26 AM
Alright everyone here comes the nostalgia train! Apparently we have the opening of the first movie part 💜

How is this so cute!! :o_o: The animation looks so nice and clean. I'll probably be waiting for this to stream, but it is a nostalgia trip to the time I watched this on TV as a little one! It would've been among my first exposure to anime as Dragonball Z was also showing at the same time, and then later, maybe Naruto? I can't really remember.

Kawaii, check. Catchy theme, check. Their marketing worked, I'm looking forward to watching this now!! The first part still doesn't seem to be on Netflix in the US yet, I'll have to keep checking!

Thank you for sharing this!

Ariealle
06-24-2023, 11:29 PM

ok I'll try to be tame.
watching this gave me chills all the way up into the back of my neck.
The start of the song already had my eyes watering like I wanted to cry tears of joy.
I simply cannot, with the amount of excitement happening lately.
the transitions look a lot smoother, the art looks A LOT more nostalgic. They took everything good from both the old art and from Crystal, if I do say so myself.
fm. I can't. I haven't been able to. in the BEST way.
thank you for the update DarkSkies!! I'm tingling in anticipation.

DarkSkies
12-30-2023, 10:03 PM
I'm so sorry I know it's been more than 3 months, I just wanted to share some heads up!

The official Sailor Moon site ([Only registered and activated users can see links]) has announced that Sailor Moon Cosmos Parts 1 and 2 will be released on regular and limited edition DVD and Blu-ray sets on December 20th 2023! As with other Japanese Sailor Moon releases this will only include Japanese audio with no English subtitles.

There are two version of each of the Blu-ray and DVD release and they aren’t cheap! The single disc Blu-ray or DVD, which somehow costs the same in 2023, has an MSRP of 10,000 yen, about $69 US. The four disc sets also costs the same on DVD and Blu-ray with an MSRP of 16,000 yen or $110 US. What’s the difference? The four disc set has a second DVD or Blu-ray with special features including an anime music video, likely the one we got with the soundtrack, creditless openings for the films as well as two CDs with music from the films.

I'm afraid there is still no news about the movie outside of Japan on any streaming platforms, but hopefully we'll get more news soon! As of right now you can find the movie available doing some searching but if you can support the original producers by getting the Blu-ray/DVDs that would be awesome too :tiger:

Junellie
04-04-2024, 09:02 PM
Sorry for bringing this back up, but on a related sidenote, for anyone living in Singapore, the Sanrio store in Takashimaya is now selling stuff from the Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Cosmos x Sanrio characters collection.

Full collab contents ([Only registered and activated users can see links]), if anyone is curious

DarkSkies
04-05-2024, 09:29 PM
Sorry for bringing this back up, but on a related sidenote, for anyone living in Singapore, the Sanrio store in Takashimaya is now selling stuff from the Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Cosmos x Sanrio characters collection.

Full collab contents ([Only registered and activated users can see links]), if anyone is curious

No prob I'm sure some sailor moon fans would appreciate this :$